Celtic vs Ranger55 - 21 March 12pm

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

I just like poking fun at Celtic fans who just can't accept that Rangers fans currently have the bragging rights so try to change the narrative into "we done 9 in a row" or "unprecedented quadruple trebles". Just take your medicine and hope that next season you have the bragging rights. Nothing you say is going to bring Rangers fans down from cloud 9 I'm afraid.

Oh the stick you took over the last decade, you deserve to lord it over everyone. No doubt.

I’m just no going down without a fight! 

17 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Which at no time does he tell fans “stay at home do not come”

State of you saying nothing else could have been done 🤡

Telling fans to stay safe and to follow the guidelines is that, you're being a right Dundee United here Jinky.

Edited by bennett

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

Telling fans to stay safe and to follow the guidelines is that, you're being a complete Dundee United here Jinky.

What it is, is doing the bare minimum. Your point is that nothing more could be done which is incorrect I.e.

Put out a statement on Twitter and on the clubs website saying do not come to Ibrox instead of having to watch a 10 minute press conference where you get the stay safe message caveated with a but.

Dont allow your players to rush out and greet and celebrate with fans that have congregated or indeed hang out windows encouraging them to join in the celebrations rendering any tannoy messages completely ineffective.

Thats just off the top of my head as to what more could be done I didn’t at any point say nothing at all was done 

the club could have hired some FARC rebels to gun down any celebrants, so the assertion that they "did all they could" by simply "asking supporters to follow the guidelines and stay safe" is incorrect

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

What it is, is doing the bare minimum. Your point is that nothing more could be done which is incorrect I.e.

Put out a statement on Twitter and on the clubs website saying do not come to Ibrox instead of having to watch a 10 minute press conference where you get the stay safe message caveated with a but.

Dont allow your players to rush out and greet and celebrate with fans that have congregated or indeed hang out windows encouraging them to join in the celebrations rendering any tannoy messages completely ineffective.

Thats just off the top of my head as to what more could be done I didn’t at any point say nothing at all was done 

You are clinging on to those reasons as if they are some kind of evidence that Rangers' actions resulted in fans turning up outside the stadium and at George Square.

Let's get this abundantly clear, the fans would've and indeed they did turn up regardless of any message coming out of the club. Rangers could've employed Ally McCoist and Walter Smith to individually call every single supporter, imploring them to stay at home and it wouldn't have made one jot of difference.

With that being said, your points about the players rushing out to greet and celebrate with fans is effectively moot because, guess what, the fans were already there!

I will not criticise the players or management team for indulging in a brief moment of celebration with fans that were already there, and let's be clear, it was brief before it gets exaggerated.

You and many others are desperate to hold the club responsible for something that was entirely out with their control and that says a lot given the scenes we have seen on other occasions this season from other clubs without any kind of similar faux outrage.

55 has really got some people in a bit of a state.

Douglas Park should have been patrolling around Glasgow with a megaphone telling fans to get up the road or else.

Maintaining law and order on Glasgow's streets is apparently the responsibility of Rangers. 

1 hour ago, bennett said:

No they couldn't have done any more Joey, if the police and government struggled to do anything then what chance does a fitba team have...

Everything possible was done and you know it.

In the post above your's I've mentioned two things that shouldn't have happened, which would have Rangers "doing more" by not carrying out these actions. I know that you have to back your team, but these are facts not opinions.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Do you lads ever get bored of arguing about absolutely nothing until the end of time?

The thing is, that's what I've been trying to say all along. Clearly some people think there is a big issue here.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

In the post above your's I've mentioned two things that shouldn't have happened, which would have Rangers "doing more" by not carrying out these actions. I know that you have to back your team, but these are facts not opinions.

The Scottish authorities were liaised with

They were told not to come.

They were told to go home.

And that is that. 

36 minutes ago, AJF said:

You are clinging on to those reasons as if they are some kind of evidence that Rangers' actions resulted in fans turning up outside the stadium and at George Square.

Let's get this abundantly clear, the fans would've and indeed they did turn up regardless of any message coming out of the club. Rangers could've employed Ally McCoist and Walter Smith to individually call every single supporter, imploring them to stay at home and it wouldn't have made one jot of difference.

With that being said, your points about the players rushing out to greet and celebrate with fans is effectively moot because, guess what, the fans were already there!

I will not criticise the players or management team for indulging in a brief moment of celebration with fans that were already there, and let's be clear, it was brief before it gets exaggerated.

You and many others are desperate to hold the club responsible for something that was entirely out with their control and that says a lot given the scenes we have seen on other occasions this season from other clubs without any kind of similar faux outrage.

55 has really got some people in a bit of a state.

It’s a simple point that shouldn’t be hard to grasp. Could Rangers have done more? The answer to that is yes. Is that massively unfair criticism or suggesting the club did absolutely nothing? No I don’t think it is

The point about Rangers fans coming out anyway irrespective of who said what or to whom doesn’t in anyway mean you just do the bare minimum because you believe it to be pointless. There is more that could be done to deter and we both know that I.e. not having brief moments of indulgence. If the same effort and vigour was applied to telling fans to stay at home as it was to telling the world about 55 you may have had a little bit more success. Would it deter every fan that turned up possibly not unfortunately I’m currently devoid of a flux capacitor to test that theory

Lastly what has become abundantly clear is that the fans are happy to give the club and their fans a free pass from any sort of critique whatsoever and even the most fair minded Rangers posters on here are showing a very different side of their “online” personality. 55 certainly has got some people in a state, most of them are associated with Rangers though. 

As for the whataboutery , c’mon I expected you of all Rangers posters to be above that which kind of re-iterates my comment above

Edited by Jinky67

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

The thing is, that's what I've been trying to say all along. Clearly some people think there is a big issue here.

Is it a big issue? Well it potentially could be if it results in fixture re-arrangement or postponement of games or indeed other fans turning out because they see Rangers and Rangers fans being given essentially a free pass not to mention potential of people catching COVID which should be the most important thing we are all trying to avoid here

14 minutes ago, bennett said:

Indeed you are.

So just to clarify, you don’t think that if the Rangers players hadn’t gone to the gates to join in with the celebrating fans, and Gerrard hadn’t leaned out of the window also joining in with the celebrating fans, that would have been classed as Rangers “doing more”? Yes or no will suffice.

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

It’s a simple point that shouldn’t be hard to grasp. Could Rangers have done more? The answer to that is yes. Is that massively unfair criticism or suggesting the club did absolutely nothing? No I don’t think it is

The point about Rangers fans coming out anyway irrespective of who said what or to whom doesn’t in anyway mean you just do the bare minimum because you believe it to be pointless. There is more that could be done to deter and we both know that, if the same effort and vigour was applied to telling fans to stay at home as it was to telling the world about 55 you may have had a little bit more success. Would it deter every fan that turned up possibly not unfortunately I’m currently devoid of a flux capacitor to test that theory

Lastly what has become abundantly clear is that the fans are happy to give the club and other fans a free pass from any sort of critique whatsoever and even the most fair minded Rangers posters on here are showing a very different side of their “online” personality. 55 certainly has got some people in a state, most of them are associated with Rangers though. 

As for the whataboutery , c’mon I expected you of all Rangers posters to be above that.

Firstly, let's be clear that I have not once suggested that fans gathering outside were correct to do so or I have given them a "Free Pass". To suggest that is wrong and is an entirely different point from the one we are discussing, which is the actions of the club. So, if you maintain that's what I've done, then please explain why.

In terms of the players, yes, I view that as an inadvisable action, but I said I wasn't going to criticise them for it as I completely appreciate why it happened, as I'm sure you have also said on the subject as well?

You also asked "Could Rangers have done more?". The obvious answer to that is yes. They could've built 10 foot walls around Ibrox which would've been deemed "doing more", but is it reasonable to believe that what they did do was sufficient? Considering we are in the middle of a global pandemic and everyone is very clear on the guidelines, I believe the club have no case to answer here. Just because Rangers didn't remind fans of their responsibilities does not equate to Rangers being negligent especially when individuals' responsibilities are so well publicised and widely know. A club doesn't need to tell all their fans to pull up their zipper every time they go for a slash, because it's already accepted that is what's expected.

In terms of whataboutery, it's only whataboutery when there is no meaningful comparison to be drawn. In this instance, there absolutely is.

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Is it a big issue? Well it potentially could be if it results in fixture re-arrangement or postponement of games or indeed other fans turning out because they see Rangers and Rangers fans being given essentially a free pass not to mention potential of people catching COVID which should be the most important thing we are all trying to avoid here

You are again confusing the two different issues of 1) Fans ignoring covid guidelines and 2) The clubs actions.

Nothing that Rangers have done as a club will result in the fixture being re-arranged and that is a fact.

56 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Don't forget that the request (the only one from Rangers despite weeks of 'engagement with stakeholders') was prefixed with the words 'try to'.  That's as near as you could come to a knowing wink to fans bent on celebrating. Even if you give Rangers the benefit of the doubt and accept Gerrard's message was serious, it was obliterated by his appearance, later in the day, hanging out of the changing-room windows and giving gormless thumbs-up signs to the supporters he'd supposedly discouraged. And all this before the title win was even confirmed.

Rangers culpable, but the BBC shouldn't escape blame either – the coverage of the fans' attendance on Saturday was widespread and uncritical, and legitimised the celebrations, encouraging the more suggestible morons of Rangers' fanbase to make further arseholes of themselves on the Sunday.

Edited by Mr Heliums

28 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well, if you wanted my tuppence:

- It's pretty laughable to suggest Rangers did 'all that they could'. They obviously didn't but it's sort of understandable.

- It's not big enough an issue for me to care anymore. I was more irked by the pre planned celebrations on the Saturday anyway.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well, if you wanted my tuppence:

- It's pretty laughable to suggest Rangers did 'all that they could'. They obviously didn't but it's sort of understandable.

- It's not big enough an issue for me to care anymore. I was more irked by the pre planned celebrations on the Saturday anyway.

That then goes back to my previous point - there's quite clearly things Rangers could've done - such as build a 10 foot wall (this is entirely an emphasised suggestion).

But do I also believe what they did do was sufficient? Yes. To suggest that any of their actions (or lack of) somehow resulted in the mass of fans that gathered is completely disingenuous in my opinion and people are looking to blame the club for something that was entirely out with their control.