Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I don't think your American will quite have the dumpster fire track record that our American has but when Hartley ran out of ideas we went with Neil McCann, Jim McIntyre then James McPake.

Brace yourself.

As much as I see where you are coming from we are currently displaying relegation form. On our budget that's unacceptable no matter who is in charge.

27 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Tbf, there's no manager mentioned so far that I haven't thought this about yet.

I'll be surprised personally if whoever you hire even equals what McInnes did. Not that he shouldn't have been emptied, but who realistically is it there that can push Aberdeen further?

awkward kobe bryant GIF

Just now, Merkland Red said:

As much as I see where you are coming from we are currently displaying relegation form. On our budget that's unacceptable no matter who is in charge.

The old cliche, form is temporary class is permanent.

I reckon Derek McInnes would have tried to overhaul your squad in the summer since this has been a terrible season. Granted, he's had more than enough time to do this and it should have been done long ago and he's rightfully been punted for that failing.

My point is, I just don't see anyone that has the ability to do it as well as him come the summer.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

If a manager is in charge of a club for eight years, he is at some point going to go through a spell of relegation form - even Liverpool are in 'relegation form' right now.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

The old cliche, form is temporary class is permanent.

I reckon Derek McInnes would have tried to overhaul your squad in the summer since this has been a terrible season. Granted, he's had more than enough time to do this and it should have been done long ago and he's rightfully been punted for that failing.

My point is, I just don't see anyone that has the ability to do it as well as him come the summer.

He's tried several overhauls. It's went from exciting counter attacks, to quick direct attacks to long punts in to the channels to what we have now.

Just now, ArabFC said:

If a manager is in charge of a club for eight years, he is at some point going to go through a spell of relegation form - even Liverpool are in 'relegation form' right now.

We've had an awful run of form in each of the past three seasons though. 

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

He's tried several overhauls. It's went from exciting counter attacks, to quick direct attacks to long punts in to the channels to what we have now.

Sometimes, a manager can just spend too long at a club. Even if he’s clearly quite good.

The list of managers that have constantly been able to reinvent teams are Sir Alex and....? Even Wenger’s last ten years at Arsenal were pretty bad.

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's not so much that McInnes isn't a good manager. He clearly is. He'd run out of ideas.

I know and I agree that it had probably gone on long enough. The real problem is finding the man out there who can better that, and I feel Cormack would have to look quite far afield to find that.

Just now, G51 said:

Sometimes, a manager can just spend too long at a club. Even if he’s clearly quite good.

The list of managers that have constantly been able to reinvent teams are Sir Alex and....? Even Wenger’s last ten years at Arsenal were pretty bad.

Jim McInally clearly should be in consideration. Those Peterhead lads keep overachieving.

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's not so much that McInnes isn't a good manager. He clearly is. He'd run out of ideas.

John McMaster gave an interview to the Daily Record and basically hits a lot of the main points of where it's went wrong.

Aye, it's two completely different discussions.

Emptying McInnes was/is clearly the right thing to do given form and the staleness around him. Someone who may not objectively be a "better" manager than him could still have the potential to get more of a tune out the squad simply by bringing a different voice and a fresh approach to things.

Ultimately it's on Cormack and the board who they appoint but this whole "why sack McInnes if they just appoint....whoever" is missing the point a bit.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Fergie was able to also constantly change his backroom staff or had budgets to sign someone almost as good as who he was selling. We don't have that luxury unfortuantely.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I know and I agree that it had probably gone on long enough. The real problem is finding the man out there who can better that, and I feel Cormack would have to look quite far afield to find that.

I think we're an attractive proposition for a lot of managers

Pre-covid debts were wiped

New training facilities

rodgers and Gerrard coming to Scotland and either rehabbing or enhancing their reputations.

Just now, capt_oats said:

Aye, it's two completely different discussions.

Emptying McInnes was/is clearly the right thing to do given form and the staleness around him. Someone who may not objectively be a "better" manager than him could still have the potential to get more of a tune out the squad simply by bringing a different voice and a fresh approach to things.

Ultimately it's on Cormack and the board who they appoint but this whole "why sack McInnes if they just appoint....whoever" is missing the point a bit.

This. Exactly this.

McInnes is a bit limited tactically. Man-management was where he excelled and it looked like that was no longer enough.

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

If it’s Robinson then what was the fucking point in changing managers?
Lazy, lazy appointment and an admission of no plan to ever have any ambition!

If it’s Robinson then AFC will have lost my interest.

Why are you talking as if we have appointed Robinson? You could say the same thing about almost every guy on the above list, which is why I haven’t clicked on a single one.

31 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I get that and it's fair enough - it was definitely time to go. Whoever you appoint might get a tune out of Aberdeen better than McInnes has done for the past few year.

I just can't see you appointing someone that would be viewed as objectively better therefore I expect whoever comes in, there'll be a bit of disappointment within the fanbase (unless it's some exotic foreign manager like the Man City youth guy). 

That's why I think Robinson makes the most sense. He's a proven decent manager, perhaps not as good as McInnes, but will have a fresh take on the squad that might benefit.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Our fans have to get real about who is going to be our next manager. There was a guy from, I think, Dons Together on Sportsound last night who thought that Eddie Howe is a realistic target. He was also extremely reticent to give Derek McInnes any real praise for what he did over his eight years at the club. 

I heard this guy last night.

I always go into a cold sweat when I hear that a 'fans' spokesman' is on the show.

Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised, but this guy last night was just embarrassing.

Some of our fans do genuinely seem to feel that the likes of Howe and Lampard are possibilities - this on the back of having to sell three players to keep the lights on.

Edited by tarapoa

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, G51 said:

Sometimes, a manager can just spend too long at a club.  

That is true. And there are a number of Dons fans who wanted him sacked because firstly they believe the grass is always greener, and secondly because they were bored. 

It would have taken us winning the quadruple to change the mind of these fans, and even then probably half of them would have wanted him to leave. 

On the other side of the coin, there's a lot to be said for consistency in a manager. Aberdeen wouldn't have enjoyed the relative 'success' that we've had if we'd chopped and changed managers over the last 8 years. 

With a heavy heart I agree that it was time for us to part ways, but my biggest fear is that we're doing all this again in 18 months or so. 

37 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That is true. And there are a number of Dons fans who wanted him sacked because firstly they believe the grass is always greener, and secondly because they were bored. 

It would have taken us winning the quadruple to change the mind of these fans, and even then probably half of them would have wanted him to leave. 

On the other side of the coin, there's a lot to be said for consistency in a manager. Aberdeen wouldn't have enjoyed the relative 'success' that we've had if we'd chopped and changed managers over the last 8 years. 

With a heavy heart I agree that it was time for us to part ways, but my biggest fear is that we're doing all this again in 18 months or so. 

This 100% - there is some kind of perceived wisdom that managers have a shelf life.

Bottom line is, whether he stumbled upon it by accident or design, the performances earlier in the season were very easy on the eye, with Watkins, Wright and Hedges offering the hold up play and movement to get us playing a cracking brand of football.  The system generally worked and other players were in better form as a consequence.

The SFA Covid thing, injuries to key players, Wright's stock going up very quickly at the wrong time, Lewis inexplicable f**k ups. the January window and even the fkin wind all conspired against him......................negative sliding doors moments all over the place.

The glass ceilings still remained though with the displays against Sporting Lisbon and Celtic in the SCSF..............circumstances seemed to be with us in both to finally break through previous barriers, but instead both games ended up with early goals for the opponents and a load of huff and puff that never looked like going anywhere. This has been the general template when trying to break through from generally just being the best of the rest. 

If the club get this right, that could change for the better - sadly I fear it's far more likely just to get worse, and that is purely talking from experience of similar events in the past.

Edited by tarapoa