Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That is true. And there are a number of Dons fans who wanted him sacked because firstly they believe the grass is always greener, and secondly because they were bored. 

It would have taken us winning the quadruple to change the mind of these fans, and even then probably half of them would have wanted him to leave. 

On the other side of the coin, there's a lot to be said for consistency in a manager. Aberdeen wouldn't have enjoyed the relative 'success' that we've had if we'd chopped and changed managers over the last 8 years. 

With a heavy heart I agree that it was time for us to part ways, but my biggest fear is that we're doing all this again in 18 months or so. 

And so on and so forth.

Sends shivers up my spine.

10 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

The latest Here We Go podcast is worth a listen - and having listened to it, I am 99% sure it'll be Glass.

Agreed - I think Cormacks vision is going to lean heavily on his experiences with Atlanta. Which can already be seen in the things he has said when talking about the new ground and fan engagement.

It was interesting listening to the Atlanta guest talking about the role and challenges of their ‘2’ teams - Glass seems to be held in quite high regard by Atlanta.

I’m resigned to some sort of transition, but not sure their is patience across all areas. The pundits/media seem to already have set their stall out to say ‘told you so’, if the new setup doesn’t yield results early.

10 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

The latest Here We Go podcast is worth a listen - and having listened to it, I am 99% sure it'll be Glass.

Yes with our links with Atlanta through Cormack seems we may be going down a different route.DOF and head coach. 

Can we afford another wage?

Listening to podcast i agree looks like Glass .

I'm an Aberdeen fan and don't give 2fs for Atlanta and hating the link with them.

Jeez maybe think about changing from the Dons to the Dolphins or some other meaningless  pish .

Joking of course.

21 minutes ago, ken es said:

I'm an Aberdeen fan and don't give 2fs for Atlanta and hating the link with them.

I guess if we welcome Cormack's personal investment as well as the others he has brought in - this whole Atlanta partnership/philosophy thing is what we're going to have to live with.

I suspect a large part of binning McInnes now is they have just promoted the Red TV partnership with Atlanta and it is serving no purpose other to show Georgians how not to hit a bison's ass with a banjo.

Guest Bob Mahelp

If we appoint Glass it opens up accusations that we're simply part of an on-going experiment to help Atlanta United. 

Jon Gallagher. The Venezuelan guy that mysteriously appeared then disappeared. Both brought to Pittodrie with an aim to ultimately helping Atlanta. 

If Glass turn out to be a success, will Atlanta simply 'recall' him because we only have him effectively on-loan ?

I would like to hear from Cormack if it turns out the plan all along was to get rid of McInnes and appoint Glass. 

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

With a heavy heart I agree that it was time for us to part ways, but my biggest fear is that we're doing all this again in 18 months or so. 

Struggling to think of many clubs who have two long terms managers back to back, tbh.

Feels fairly inevitable you'll lose your next man within 2/3 years one way or another. I'm expecting the same with us and Davidson, FWIW.

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That is true. And there are a number of Dons fans who wanted him sacked because firstly they believe the grass is always greener, and secondly because they were bored. 

It would have taken us winning the quadruple to change the mind of these fans, and even then probably half of them would have wanted him to leave. 

On the other side of the coin, there's a lot to be said for consistency in a manager. Aberdeen wouldn't have enjoyed the relative 'success' that we've had if we'd chopped and changed managers over the last 8 years. 

History would suggest that is almost a certainty. How often does a club appoint two good managers in a row? And McInnes was a good manager for Aberdeen no matter how many of you wanted shot of him by now.

48 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

History would suggest that is almost a certainty. How often does a club appoint two good managers in a row? And McInnes was a good manager for Aberdeen no matter how many of you wanted shot of him by now.

Squad is poor. Don’t know if that’s been down to just the manager.

Squad is poor. Don’t know if that’s been down to just the manager.

Strange.

Fans, pundits, press, players, manager, board, said it was the best squad we ever had.

Losing Marley Watkins wasn’t ideal but apart from that we were playing poor with everyone else.

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

It's not so much that McInnes isn't a good manager. He clearly is. He'd run out of ideas.

John McMaster gave an interview to the Daily Record and basically hits a lot of the main points of where it's went wrong.

What a great interview from McMaster! "When I first arrived at Aberdeen in 1972 I saw a team of losers and runners-ups" before going on, "That was the mentality back then and it’s crept back into the club under Derek"...

And if McMaster thinks that he sees a winning mentality in Jim Goodwin then I could be persuaded. However, Goodwin (or any other person we choose) should be told what is expected as Aberdeen manager and that he'll be judged on winning trophies and significant European campaigns. If he doesn't think he can achieve that then he shouldn't take the job.

The players need to understand that the club (or dressing room) isn't a holiday camp that they want to return to because it's a good laugh. Winning should be just as important to us as it is to the Gruesome Twosome. They are here to work hard, better themselves and, most importantly, win for Aberdeen.

I heard Jamie Langfield on that Football Daft podcast describe the Allianz changing rooms after the Bayern match like an 18-30 holiday with players "dive bombing" into the Bayern baths which were as big as a swimming pool and having a great laugh. They had just been beaten 5-1 in front of 6,500 travelling Dons. I remember Calderwood took the players to the BMW museum and doing something similar in Madrid when we played Atletico like the players were on some tourist trip. We did get more professional with McInnes but it never felt that there was a real belief that we could really do something special.

I believe we need to instil a winning, professional attitude that's been missing since the early 1990s. Players that can't cut it should be desperate to leave. For instance, I look at Ross McCrorie and wonder if he thinks he can lower his standards in comparison to his Sevco days and still get into our first XI. I'll probably get a few dislikes but in my view he's been a dud after a reasonable start, and should've been dropped a few months ago. It might just be that he doesn't have the required quality but he was in a severe need of a kick up the arse by being dropped but yet seemed to be a first pick (although, to be fair, he's been playing in midfield when he quite clearly isn't a midfielder).

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Apparently the talk in Nottingham is that Billy Davies being linked. Would be cracking entertainment like.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-billy-davies-aberdeen-5112607?fbclid=IwAR2z9DTRlvsnF-gJCjfAF-yWK40X19eESzQZJGyg392laxMvO10DEXwSiAQ

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

46 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

That articles source is the Daily Record and even that is basically because of the Craig Brown link so don't think there's much talk in Nottingham about It?

Edited by Rodhull

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

That articles source is the Daily Record and even that is basically because of the Craig Brown link so don't think there's much talk in Nottingham about It?

There's a couple of articles from websites around Nottingham and Derby, likely all sourcing that same article. Tbf there'll be absolutely nothing to the 'rumour', I just wanted the excuse for posting the clip.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

5 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Strange.

Fans, pundits, press, players, manager, board, said it was the best squad we ever had.

Losing Marley Watkins wasn’t ideal but apart from that we were playing poor with everyone else.

At the start of the season we were unequivocally the third strongest and looked set for a good season....then misfortune struck very badly.

Edited by HarleyQuinn