Dunfermline Athletic v Greenock Morton

Fairly grim stuff today but we won. However we've seen this pattern before from Crawford.

For a player who was so creative and attack minded, it's always been odd how much of a massive shitebag manager he is and how dull, bland and utterly lacking in character we've mostly been under him.

Morton had the right idea in the first half by pressing us high and making us punt long. As I said earlier, because Whittaker and Wilson were playing so close to the defence, it meant that the shelled balls were easy enough for Morton to deal with and gain possession. 

It was therefore odd that they stopped it in the second half, especially since they were behind.

We lacked quality, cohesion and confidence. The effort can't be questioned, and under Crawford that has never been an issue. We struggled to keep the ball and found it hard to move the ball through the pitch. We showed a couple of flashes of what we are capable of, and the goal came about from such a flash. Thomas' wee bit of skill and cross were excellent and Wighton finished well. That he did makes it all the more frustrating that we don't create more such chances, or even put that many crosses in. Wighton appears to be a guy who would do well if we got more balls in to the box. His finish made up for an absolutely shite penalty earlier (and despite the Wee Team tears it was a very obvious penalty). Why we don't use Banks, Murray and Thomas more to get at teams is as infuriating as it is mystifying. 

We sat back more in the second half, to the shock of no one. Morton's blunt attack meant we got away with it but it's not a good tactic and not a particularly effective one.

OFW had his now standard comedy moments today, both in the first half, but fortunately they never cost us. Him collecting a deep cross in the second half was Westie esque though.

We're once more clear in second which is so strange given how poor we've been. I remain ever hopeful that we can gain some confidence from this win and play better next week.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We lacked quality, cohesion and confidence

We had been on a poor run and not trained for a fortnight, today was about a result which we got.

I agree that we need to get our attacking players more involved preferably not by shelling it at them. Thought Wilson played well but I don't think we are ever going to see the silkiest of football with Whittaker playing 90 mins in the middle of the park and CM is a position we need to recruit well next season, as I doubt Mayo will be allowed back at this level.

Just now, 101 said:

We had been on a poor run and not trained for a fortnight, today was about a result which we got.

I agree that we need to get our attacking players more involved preferably not by shelling it at them. Thought Wilson played well but I don't think we are ever going to see the silkiest of football with Whittaker playing 90 mins in the middle of the park and CM is a position we need to recruit well next season, as I doubt Mayo will be allowed back at this level.

Yeah I get the point about not training, but we've seen similar from us with plenty of training, although I suppose we must take it in to account today.

Think Mayo has little chance of breaking in to the Sevco team so wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned out again next season.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah I get the point about not training, but we've seen similar from us with plenty of training, although I suppose we must take it in to account today.

Think Mayo has little chance of breaking in to the Sevco team so wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned out again next season.

Yeh Crawford has to get more out the team but expecting to see it today was unlikely imo.

Yeh I don't think he would make the team but think they will be looking to get him Premiership game time, fingers crossed we can offer that but I'm not sure we will.

OFW had his now standard comedy moments today, both in the first half, but fortunately they never cost us.

He is the GOAT

IMG_6176.jpg

Not to be as negative as you DA, although you make valid points about the all round display, there was some good individual performances today. Banks, Watson, E Murray, Wilson and MacDonald all came up with great moments but you’re right though: you need your whole team to be at that level, which they absolutely have the capability to be. We have the best defence in the league and that should be the difference between a play-off and mid-table obscurity.

Owain Fail Williams has another year on his deal unfortunately. Gill out of contract in the summer. OFW reserve keeper next year and our number 1 priority is to scour Scotland/UK/Europe for a number 1 keeper that makes less mistakes than our crap keepers since Murdoch. Not looking for Oblak here. Just a decent championship keeper.

I would take Ridgers from ICT for a start.

Edited by Chubbychops

33 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Do NOT play Mayo in midfield. He is fucking brutal there when we have better players.

I'm going to have to disagree here.

It definitely isn't his best position but wouldn't say he was brutal there. I think 'perfunctory' is much more fitting.

Given the recent Covid circumstances within the squad I think that goes down as a really good win. I had a sense of de ja vu when the penalty was saved but thankfully good combination play from our 3 best attacking players on the day proved the difference.

I can understand the sentiment that we are very much a stuffy side to watch though. Very rarely under Crawford have we had a team penned in and most games are cagey affairs. The 4-1 Rovers game being a glorious exception!

Ultimately, today brought us closer to reaching our objective of making the playoffs and I just hope we can use this as a catalyst towards putting a run together. Thought the defence looked solid today but worth noting how crucial and solid a player Comrie is. He is so consistent and I thought he was going to replicate his goal v Rovers again in the 2nd half.

Morton looked a bit toothless today - Nesbitt looked lively in the 1st half and I thought he was going to give the out of position McDonald a tough day. He faded badly after his good chance though. Won't make a prediction as to where I think they will finish as they are so unpredictable!

Do NOT play Mayo in midfield. He is fucking brutal there when we have better players.

I have watched every single game this season and he has always been caught out when playing in defence. His positioning is terrifyingly bad and pretty much gifts opposition attackers (playing off the right) a free hit at least twice.

4 hours ago, DAFC. said:

I have watched every single game this season and he has always been caught out when playing in defence. His positioning is terrifyingly bad and pretty much gifts opposition attackers (playing off the right) a free hit at least twice.

Probably because he's started 7 games in defence and only one of those was in his natural position of centre half. Genuinely thought he was absolutely solid against queen's at centre half apart from a very daft challenge in the dying minutes.