Royal Family Crisis

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

He has to argue with the common understanding of gammon as an insult because...

cover6.jpg

I'm gammon if it's being a Rangers fan or a Unionist even though your skin probably looks closer to gammon than me. 

He's well in to his act now and this thread will very quickly become unreadable because folk keep interacting with him and, inexplicably, doing so as if he were even the smallest bit sincere in what he's saying.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Have you went back to your bed?

I wish, I've got the telly paused and my phone keeps pinging. 

Why does PnB make a noise that someone's responded to you when you're off the site and have your phone on silent? 

Just now, DA Baracus said:

He's well in to his act now and this thread will very quickly become unreadable because folk keep interacting with and, inexplicably, doing so as if he were even the smallest bit sincere in what he's saying.

Why are you talking about me and making things up and then being surprised I respond? 

52% of Scots want the royal family binned in the most recent survey, only 28% want them kept. 

What would be do with Hollyrood Palace? I wonder if it would be the second chamber for a fully independent Parliament. 

They would keep Balmoral as that belongs to them but not sure if they would keep coming to Scotland if we were independent.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

52% of Scots want the royal family binned in the most recent survey, only 28% want them kept. 

What would be do with Hollyrood Palace? I wonder if it would be the second chamber for a fully independent Parliament. 

They would keep Balmoral as that belongs to them but not sure if they would keep coming to Scotland if we were independent.

Probably end up as a Costa Coffee

Looked up "gammon (insult)" in the Oxford Dictionary. It's a bit long winded but here's how they describe it...

Spoiler

0_Alan-Brazil-2.thumb.jpg.ec2f8f2e2a7192587013f27ec394fcb5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pato said:

surely that'll just be right wing people misusing memes like they always do

Thanks for quoting me just as everyone had moved on! 

Funnily enough, if you recall back to the discussion we were having yesterday about a particular tweet that was, funnily enough posted on this exact thread you would find an example there of someone using it on Twitter purely in relation to skin tone. 

1 minute ago, Pato said:

Ha sorry pages had moved on and I hadn't realised. That exact tweet referred to Piers Morgan though so it was entirely appropriate. You can't call e.g. Neville Southall a gammon just because he's overweight and white and gets angry at politics.

Aye but all I said was people have used gammon to refer to skin tone, (not even said my thoughts on this) and Bairnardo said that was nonsense then you've said only in "x" situations and I've merely shown that it has been used in "y" situations also. 

I've been called a gammon and I'm not overweight or particularly angered by politics either, I'm more peely wally than i am Alan Brazil! 

I'm over it. 

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

They're called unionists here.

But seriously, of course there are. I do think, for whatever reason, that viewpoint seems to carry a bit less weight here. I think the big difference is probably that England has a bigger right wing working class than Scotland does so you have more working class gammons in England than Scotland.

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

So they need to be working class too? 

I thought it was just purely about skin colour tbf didn't realise it was also an insult for poor people. 

2 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Also if i'm not mistaken gammon became widespread from that Question Time before the snap election where loads of middle aged English chaps with bright red faces were foaming at the mouth and shouting about immigration/brexit. Someone on Twitter compiled photos of their faces and commented that it looked like a wall of gammon and it's been used quite commonly ever since. 

Yea you can trace it back directly to the list of red faced middle aged Home Counties men shouting at Corbyn about national security and his reticence to usher in a nuclear holocaust. I can see how it's morphed into "lol the stupid gammon proles voting for Brexit" but it initially started as a way of describing people that I would bet money were right-wing small business owners who were overly concerned with tough guy concerns like defence coupled with a child's understanding of economics. Vernon Dursleys if you want a fictional example of a gammon from an author who hated Corbyn!

Edited by NotThePars

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Yea you can trace it back directly to the list of red faced middle aged Home Counties men shouting at Corbyn about national security and his reticence to usher in a nuclear holocaust. I can see how it's morphed into "lol the stupid gammon proles voting for Brexit" but it initially started as a way of describing people that I would bet money were right-wing small business owners who were overly concerned with tough guy concerns like defence coupled with a child's understanding of economics. Vernon Dursleys if you want a fictional example of a gammon from an author who hated Corbyn!

Okay, good explanation, I know the picture you're referencing and my shite memory always made me presume that was from an EU debate and therefore used against Brexiteers specifically initially but as you say unsurprised to see it morph from the Corbyn QT audience rapidly to include Brexit and other issues. 

NTP and Mixu unsurprisingly yet again being the grown ups in the room and showing how to conversate without getting knickers in a twist and purposefully misrepresenting views/posts. 

18 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

My point really wasn't gammon == working class, just to clear that up. It was more about why gammonry seems more prevalent in England vs Scotland. I think Scotland has it's fair share of exactly the types of folk you mention. But one big political difference between the two countries is that traditional working class areas in large parts of England are far more likely to vote right wing than they are in Scotland. I think you get more folk who'll happily vote Tory in England on non-economic reasons than you do in Scotland. Given that's a squarely gammon thing to do it kind of stands to reason that the 'excess gammon' in England comes from that right-wing working class group that's much bigger in England than Scotland.

On 09/03/2021 at 11:27, D.A.F.C said:

This was imo an extreme example and after reporting it I received zero feedback. You didn't quote me or mention my name but the post was directly under mine with that picture and my gut reaction was one of shock. 

This'll be my last word on this you'll be pleased to hear. Thanks to all those who showed support. I won't go in to all the posts to dissect them, but I think this one shows up the degree of inaccurate recall used to inform the posts made. The posts are 12 hours apart.

I'll leave to others to judge the degree or directness of any offence.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson