Royal Family Crisis

2 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I went to see Teenage Fanclub at the Jaffa Cake* in Edinburgh the night Diana died. I was, and I can't understate this enough, absolutely hungover to hell the next morning. I can't really remember that day distinctly, so I don't know when I clocked what had taken place. The funereal music suited my head.

During the week leading to the funeral I went to see U2 (supported by Spearhead, The Seahorses and blooming Belly!) at Murrayfield and there was a picture of the crowd on the Daily Mail in a "Scotland's shame: people enjoy life when Our Princess lies on a cold slab" theme. I could see myself looking absolutely not one bit ashamed.

I also slept through the funeral due to an enormous hangover. I think I had a ticket to the cancelled Belarus game at Pittodrie.

I bloody loved 1997. Every single weekend was a bit like the above, although very seldom did a Princess die overnight. Gigs every week, nights out galore, Scotland qualifying for World Cups.

I want to be that age again!!

* I do remember that club being absolutely rammed and me sweating grotesquely. An amazing gig. Genuinely a top-10 ever type gig.

I was at Runrig at Stirling Castle that night.

As Britain went daft I felt like Che singing "Oh what a circus" in Evita. In the day of the funeral I went for a walk in the Pentlands to get away from it all. There were a lot of other folk in the Pentlands too funnily enough 

Got back home and my old man said "Her brother really stuck it too them in his speech".

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

Frankly I'd be disappointed if you didn't post something that someone could construe as offensive. 

I've found some horrible ones but not the ones @D.A.F.Cmentions. As I said, not denying it, but I'd like to see it and if possible what the mods response was. I didn't get any messages about a post being reported.

I thought they came across alright, certainly couldn't understand why such a big deal was apparently made about it on GMB. 

Then I remembered Piers Morgan is an attention seeking c**t who'll give Meghan stick for anything because he knows it'll keep people talking about him in spite of how it'll affect anyone's mental health. 

Classy. 

32 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I remember being off school and my mum making me watch it as it was “an important moment in British history.”

I went upstairs and put Thomas the tank engine videos in the VHS and got told off for not watching the news.

That's because it was a Sunday

3 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I went to see Teenage Fanclub at the Jaffa Cake* in Edinburgh the night Diana died. I was, and I can't understate this enough, absolutely hungover to hell the next morning. I can't really remember that day distinctly, so I don't know when I clocked what had taken place. The funereal music suited my head.

During the week leading to the funeral I went to see U2 (supported by Spearhead, The Seahorses and blooming Belly!) at Murrayfield and there was a picture of the crowd on the Daily Mail in a "Scotland's shame: people enjoy life when Our Princess lies on a cold slab" theme. I could see myself looking absolutely not one bit ashamed.

I also slept through the funeral due to an enormous hangover. I think I had a ticket to the cancelled Belarus game at Pittodrie.

I bloody loved 1997. Every single weekend was a bit like the above, although very seldom did a Princess die overnight. Gigs every week, nights out galore, Scotland qualifying for World Cups.

I want to be that age again!!

* I do remember that club being absolutely rammed and me sweating grotesquely. An amazing gig. Genuinely a top-10 ever type gig.

My experience of that time was similar - absolute prime of life, mid 20s, no ties. I was playing in a band at Teviot Union the night it happened. I was trying to extract myself from a relationship at the time which I did the next morning and it was all a bit surreal and hungover with the news. Didn’t realise that U2 concert around then - I was there too. Seahorses were shite considering Squires’ legendary status. I remember being raging about the Belarus game, was possibly David Hopkins’ sliding doors moment.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I remember the entire fixture list of my Under 11's football team's leage was postponed the following Saturday because of the funeral.

I was on a Scout camp then and remember getting grief from some couple in a campervan who had driven out to watch the funeral in the countryside.  "You're being disrespectful, you should all be watching it on tv" etc etc.  It was in the Yorkshire Dales, specifically chosen because the caves would be quiet that day with the English overground and glued to their TV sets.

Don't think they were prepared for the resultant reply from a bunch of 13/14 year olds, which I think went along the lines of  "away and s***e, and stick that satellite dish up your f***ing arse".  

Great weekend that.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

any other famous Regicides?

King Alexander of Yugoslavia, Marseille, 1930s.

A Macedonian in collusion with the fascist Croatian Ustashe shot him.

James I of Scotland, 1437. Some nobles stabbed him in Perth for not celebrating St Johnstone's League cup win 

James III of Scotland, 1488. Escaping from the Battle of Sauchieburn he was stabbed by someone pretending to be a priest.

Henri IV of France. Promoted religious tolerance which is why some git killed him.

Edward II of England. Famous last words were "you know where you can stick that poker"

Richard II and Henry VI were done in on the sly by their successors