Royal Family Crisis

50 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bit of a whoosh here, although it's an in-joke tbf.  ;)

Eta: Found the relevant quotes for a fun game of Guess the Poster:

Hide contents

"Speaking as a qualified historian, your question is an absurd one on multiple points..."

"The sole reason why I referred to myself as a 'qualified historian' was because Bairnardo was beginning to depict historical academia as being a hivemind consisting of a single 'mainstream' argument running against 'alternatives' such as conspiracy theories and, the topic of debate at that time in the thread, holocaust denial. It is therefore relevant to cite my contribution as that of a qualified historian because that involves being trained in the field's research methodology as well as spending an inordinate amount of time studying and condensing how history is actually written (historiography)."

Well done on finding the post concerned.

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That Tory might not be a historian but he's doing the same thing that I found most Tory historians do which is trying to preserve an outdated and ahistorical image that favours their heroes and denounces their villains. If you ever do a degree just attack Tory historians if you want an easy time because they're usually pushing poorly developed arguments. Some of my fave seminars were spent attacking Niall Ferguson for example.

I think you've probably gathered from a lot of my posts in here that I hate people viewing people as goodies and baddies in the first place so to me Greer definitely was coming across as if Churchill is a villain, the worst person in the world without allowing any historical context involved and the Tory was very much making the old argument about taking things outwith the time period etc, perhaps he was slavering over his admiration over Churchill and putting him in the hero camp but didnt think it came across that way, I've not watched that video for a long time but I do enjoy the trolling of Piers by Greer and the smirking as he did so. 

I'm unfamiliar with Ferguson, did you do a history degree too? Who do Tories look at as villains aside from Nelson Mandela? 

Absolute NAP that Piers has walked after being politely asked to not soil himself on live tv anymore and will go on the obligatory "I've been cancelled" tour.

Someone summed him up perfectly earlier, picks the most popular side on any topic and goes after it. Still manages to make a massive arse of his assessment of what's popular quite often though, as when he was chucked out of America after going after guns

15 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That Tory might not be a historian but he's doing the same thing that I found most Tory historians do which is trying to preserve an outdated and ahistorical image that favours their heroes and denounces their villains. If you ever do a degree just attack Tory historians if you want an easy time because they're usually pushing poorly developed arguments. Some of my fave seminars were spent attacking Niall Ferguson for example.

Absolutely! Its not even about applying todays values to events yesterday here or in most cases with these types, Churchill used chemical weapons against innocent people, brutalised people all over the world and was so racist in his views that even some tories, yes actual tories felt his views were a little too extreme. I think the thing with Churchill is that WW2 is so fetishised by the Middle/Upper class types that due to his role they refuse to see any criticism as valid. 

Episode 1- Harry stands by door for 27 minutes waiting for a footman to open it. 

I don't think it's Phil with the racist comments, it's just far too tactful and 20th century. My money's on Kate. 

Like father like son.
Get yer money on Charlie boy.

Find it hard to believe this isn't part of some co-ordinated stunt by Morgan and that he'll end up with a big gig somewhere else. Although he's nailed on to end up on one of the new gammon channels. He's a complete and utter c**t but quite a savvy c**t when it comes to enhancing his career prospects/publicity, not a chance he's leaving with his tail between his legs like the folk celebrating seem to think.

Edited by Fratelli

Find it hard to believe this isn't part of some co-ordinated stunt by Morgan and that he'll end up with a big gig somewhere else. Although he's nailed on to end up on one of the new gammon channels. He's a complete and utter c**t but quite a savvy c**t when it comes to enhancing his career prospects/publicity, not a chance he's leaving with his tail between his legs like the folk celebrating seem to think.
Only a few weeks ago he was the new PM

2 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Sportscene

24 minutes ago, 101 said:

presumably a mix of folk pissed of that he basically got a woman to show off her clothes and then his rant about Megs. Anyway he's away so won't face the music.

What do you bet that some of those complaints are about poor Piers being hounded over the evil bitch who broke his heart.