Future progression and development of the WOSFL

4 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Kelty Hearts showing the way.

From Hamilton Acies downwards not one of those of SPFL outfits  can afford a few bad seasons.

Clyde v Rutherglen Glencairn by 2030?

I was thinking similar earlier on...today was probably a wake-up call for a lot of the lower half of the SPFL. The relegation of East Stirling and to a lesser extent Berwick probably never rung many alarm bells as both of them had been bottom markers for years and if we're being honest their days in the league setup were numbered from the moment playoffs were introduced.

Brechin's a slightly different kettle of fish having been (briefly) as high as the Championship in recent years...there'll probably be ten or fifteen clubs who previously have been comfortable and perhaps even smug at the prospect of retaining their league status who will now be facing the fact that it could just as easily have been them and all it would take is one or two bad seasons for it to be them in future.

Old enough to have watched Hamilton Accies when they were bottom of the old Second Division and featuring regularly in Rod cartoons in the Daily Record as the stereotypical no hope club so under no illusions on Tutankhamen's assessment.

Doubt it will happen while Ronnie Macdonald and Allan Maitland are around though Nigerian banking scams notwithstanding and think the full-time or hybrid model type clubs in the Championship and League One with core home supports of 1200+ are unlikely to ever be in that predicament (might be a once every 200 years sort of event in most cases).

There are around 20 part-time clubs as part of the 42 who can expect it to be a much more regular occurence. After six Club 42 playoffs 15% of them have already been displaced. They definitely were not expecting that sort of attrition rate and that's before the west became part of the equation. Think in another 20 years or so at least 50% will have been emptied even with the playoff bottleneck in place.

On 23 May 2021 at 22:23, Hillonearth said:

I was thinking similar earlier on...today was probably a wake-up call for a lot of the lower half of the SPFL. The relegation of East Stirling and to a lesser extent Berwick probably never rung many alarm bells as both of them had been bottom markers for years and if we're being honest their days in the league setup were numbered from the moment playoffs were introduced.

Brechin's a slightly different kettle of fish having been (briefly) as high as the Championship in recent years...there'll probably be ten or fifteen clubs who previously have been comfortable and perhaps even smug at the prospect of retaining their league status who will now be facing the fact that it could just as easily have been them and all it would take is one or two bad seasons for it to be them in future.

There'd be fun and games if it ever goes to straight relegation for the basement club and a play off for the second bottom club.

Problem being one or two clubs might have serious debt.

Airdrie Clydebank Gretna Rangers in recent times seem to big problems to the point Clydebank and Gretna disappeared altogether.

I doubt it's the end of the world for a Brechin fan, they ain't facing what one or two P&B regulars faced.

The Meadowbank Thistle scenario, were a businessman comes along and tells you to bolt.

I can see amalgamation happening with a few newcomers although if you don't have any support to start with i doubt anybody will be that upset.

Is there really a need for 5 semi pro clubs in greater Clydebank?

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

54 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

There'd be fun and games if it ever goes to straight relegation for the basement club and a play off for the second bottom club.

Problem being one or two clubs might have serious debt.

Airdrie Clydebank Gretna Rangers in recent times seem to big problems to the point Clydebank and Gretna disappeared altogether.

I doubt it's the end of the world for a Brechin fan, they ain't facing what one or two P&B regulars faced.

The Meadowbank Thistle scenario, were a businessman comes along and tells you to bolt.

I can see amalgamation happening with a few newcomers although if you don't have any support to start with i doubt anybody will be that upset.

Is there really a need for 4 semi pro clubs in greater Clydebank?

Think its slightly disingenuous to lump Clydebank in with Gretna and that other mob, Clydebank fans had raised the funds to buy the club and were shafted. I get the general point of your post however, but ultimately if clubs can function then no need to amalgamate. I can’t see any Bankies fans supporting any merger that would see the control of the club or name, colours etc change.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Think its slightly disingenuous to lump Clydebank in with Gretna and that other mob, Clydebank fans had raised the funds to buy the club and were shafted. I get the general point of your post however, but ultimately if clubs can function then no need to amalgamate. I can’t see any Bankies fans supporting any merger that would see the control of the club or name, colours etc change.

Clydebank i don't see amalgamating but the likes of Drumchapel and Westerton look wide open to it as do a number of others.

There's also the classic link up were one club is used as a feeder club for the other.

3 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Clydebank i don't see amalgamating but the likes of Drumchapel and Westerton look wide open to it as do a number of others.

There's also the classic link up were one club is used as a feeder club for the other.

If the clubs want it great more power to them! Our lot have spent a lot of time and effort setting up the basis of an excellent academy so can’t see us looking for a feeder. I do think in time this will be the way some clubs go. 

38 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If the clubs want it great more power to them! Our lot have spent a lot of time and effort setting up the basis of an excellent academy so can’t see us looking for a feeder. I do think in time this will be the way some clubs go. 

In theory, if you have the money, you don't even need paying supporters.

9 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Old enough to have watched Hamilton Accies when they were bottom of the old Second Division and featuring regularly in Rod cartoons in the Daily Record as the stereotypical no hope club so under no illusions on Tutankhamen's assessment.

Doubt it will happen while Ronnie Macdonald and Allan Maitland are around though Nigerian banking scams notwithstanding and think the full-time or hybrid model type clubs in the Championship and League One with core home supports of 1200+ are unlikely to ever be in that predicament (might be a once every 200 years sort of event in most cases).

There are around 20 part-time clubs as part of the 42 who can expect it to be a much more regular occurence. After six Club 42 playoffs 15% of them have already been displaced. They definitely were not expecting that sort of attrition rate and that's before the west became part of the equation. Think in another 20 years or so at least 50% will have been emptied even with the playoff bottleneck in place.

I remember going to see Queens Park v Kilmarnock in a league game in the 1980s at Hampden. Kilmarnock then had dropped into the third level.

I notice tonight Kilmarnock relegated again.

Kilmarnock v Talbot in a league game by 2030?

28 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

As was shown last season by some clubs.

And might happen again this season coming.

That STV news report on Monday night of 50% of those asked to come to the Glasgow Hydro on Sat/Sunday not bothering to turn up for the vaccine.

I'm guessing it must be into the 20/30 age group now getting called.

The same age group as the semi pros!!!

3 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

And might happen again this season coming.

That STV news report on Monday night of 50% of those asked to come to the Glasgow Hydro on Sat/Sunday not bothering to turn up for the vaccine.

I'm guessing it must be into the 20/30 age group now getting called.

The same age group as the semi pros!!!

All those who are vulnerable and want the vaccine have had it now. Get the fans in.

18 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

I remember going to see Queens Park v Kilmarnock in a league game in the 1980s at Hampden. Kilmarnock then had dropped into the third level.

I notice tonight Kilmarnock relegated again.

Kilmarnock v Talbot in a league game by 2030?

Probably at League 2 level the way Killie are playing at the moment

Edited by Honestman1954