Future progression and development of the WOSFL

17 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/west-scotland-league-eye-summer-23776371

Possible start date of July 17th for the new season.

Expressions of interest have turned into 5 actual applications so far.

The only option available given the pollution of a fixture list. Even with this start date it will be a struggle.

Not as if anyone will be jetting away on holiday though.

"Boyd confirmed five teams have so far submitted applications to join the WoSFL.

Successful candidates will be parachuted into the conferences but will be unable to gain promotion in the first year.

League chiefs want to reserve that right for the original 67 member clubs.

However, an original plan to relegate seven sides from the Premier and promote three from the conferences below will go ahead.

That will allow the WosFL to establish a 16-team top flight at tier six in the SFA pyramid system the following year with a first, second and third division at tiers seven to nine."

Source: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/west-scotland-league-eye-summer-23776371

So with 5 new clubs (if accepted) we would see something like this for the 2021/22 season:

Premier Division (20 clubs) - Tier 6

First Division - Tier 7
- Conference A (18 clubs) 
- Conference B (17 clubs)
- Conference C (17 clubs)

This would translate into something like this for the 2022/23 season:

Premier Division (16 clubs) - Tier 6

First Division (16 clubs) - Tier 7

Second Division (16 clubs) - Tier 8

Third Division (24 clubs) - Tier 9
- Conference A (12 clubs) 
- Conference B (12 clubs)

OR

Third Division (12 clubs) - Tier 9

Fourth Division (12 clubs) - Tier 10

So I suppose Harthill will be looking at Tier 9 or 10 in the WOSFL for the 2022/23 season. If they had chosen the EOSFL route they would have had the opportunity of Tier 7 dependent on their playing standards.

Edited by Pyramidic

"Boyd confirmed five teams have so far submitted applications to join the WoSFL.
Successful candidates will be parachuted into the conferences but will be unable to gain promotion in the first year.
League chiefs want to reserve that right for the original 67 member clubs.
However, an original plan to relegate seven sides from the Premier and promote three from the conferences below will go ahead.
That will allow the WosFL to establish a 16-team top flight at tier six in the SFA pyramid system the following year with a first, second and third division at tiers seven to nine."
Source: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/west-scotland-league-eye-summer-23776371

So with 5 new clubs (if accepted) we would see something like this for the 2021/22 season:
Premier Division (20 clubs) - Tier 6
First Division - Tier 7
- Conference A (18 clubs) 
- Conference B (17 clubs)
- Conference C (17 clubs)

This would translate into something like this for the 2022/23 season:
Premier Division (16 clubs) - Tier 6
First Division (16 clubs) - Tier 7
Second Division (16 clubs) - Tier 8
Third Division (24 clubs) - Tier 9
- Conference A (12 clubs) 
- Conference B (12 clubs)
OR
Third Division (12 clubs) - Tier 9
Fourth Division (12 clubs) - Tier 10

So I suppose Harthill will be looking at Tier 9 or 10 in the WOSFL for the 2022/23 season. If they had chosen the EOSFL route they would have had the opportunity of Tier 7 dependent on their playing standards.

My reading of it was that the new teams can only not be promoted but could end up in any of the new divisions for season 22/23. For example Harthill could finish 2nd in their conference then would be at tier 7 for that coming season. Maybe I missed something.

1 hour ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

My reading of it was that the new teams can only not be promoted but could end up in any of the new divisions for season 22/23. For example Harthill could finish 2nd in their conference then would be at tier 7 for that coming season. Maybe I missed something.

Perhaps Parkcircus can explain as it will be a critical matter for the potential 5 new clubs joining the WOSFL.

If there are not enough clubs to form a separate division, it is clear that the new clubs will need to join the Division 1 Conferences. If any of the new clubs then finish in a high position in their Conference it would seem rather harsh to make them start in 2022/23 at Tier 9 or 10. There is then the issue of ground grading to consider as well and whether the new clubs would indeed have the facilities to play in one of the higher tiers.

If there is a tranche of say 8-10 new clubs they can form their own division which is recognised as the bottom tier. The problem does not arise in those circumstances.

I am glad that I am not a football administrator and can simply point out potential pitfalls without the worries and practicalities of solving them. I hope the matter is resolved by a few late applicants.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

The only option available given the pollution of a fixture list. Even with this start date it will be a struggle.

Not as if anyone will be jetting away on holiday though.

Forward thinking clubs will ditch the Albatross that is the "Junior" cup to ensure their league campaign doesnt suffer. 

1 hour ago, Junior Pub League said:

Forward thinking clubs will ditch the Albatross that is the "Junior" cup to ensure their league campaign doesnt suffer. 

Even without this it will be difficult. There will probably be a reply to this with how many possible fixture days there are but there is always selective memory about weather conditions.

Also, with 38 league games and at least one cup tournament, it’s a bit rich and regressive to point at the Junior Cup as being the cause of the headache.

Edited by jimbaxters

Even without this it will be difficult. There will probably be a reply to this with how many possible fixture days there are but there is always selective memory about weather conditions.
Also, with 38 league games and at least one cup tournament, it’s a bit rich and regressive to point at the Junior Cup as being the cause of the headache.
At least two cup competitions - the South Challenge Cup and the new WoSFL Cup will be held in 2021-22. And some Premier teams will also be in the Scottish Cup as they will likely be licensed by then, plus their 38 league fixtures.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

I don't think anyone in charge is underestimating the challenge which is the only thing that matters.

• The season's starting earlier.
  • More floodlights and need to use them to meet the LL Play-off deadline.
  • Only the Scottish Cup has replays now and none of the other cups knock league fixtures off if they can't be played at the first attempt.

Most important of all there's the desire to make it work for the one season that it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

12 minutes ago, glensmad said:
58 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

At least two cup competitions - the South Challenge Cup and the new WoSFL Cup will be held in 2021-22. And some Premier teams will also be in the Scottish Cup as they will likely be licensed by then, plus their 38 league fixtures.

Ergo verging on the impossible but as FWF says above it's a challenge which everyone will be up for.

Edited by jimbaxters

5 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

This is accurate