Future progression and development of the WOSFL

16 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah, I cannot comment on the standard of the SOS as I've only seen a few teams play over the years, I think now, if the standard is such a big gulf then during the playoffs there might be some big heavy humiliating defeats, if not then SOS teams might win and get through, only time will tell.  I will say if its the first, heavy defeats continuously though each season at the playoffs then I think all leagues will eventually have meetings to see the best proposal but again, there's no rush, plenty of years to go to change the level of the SOS if everyone thinks that's the best way to go.

In what has so far been the only Lowland League Pyramid Play-off, Kelty Hearts beat Threave Rovers 0-4 away and 6-0 at home. Thing is they played each other in the SCC that year and Threave Rovers got a 2-2 at Kelty with Threave winning on penalties. With the 3 team format the SoS Champion will never be dominate, but has a chance to be a bit of a spoiler as they're 2 one off games for them.

The South out of the 3 leagues will also get stronger at the top if Dalbeattie and Gretna do end up there. For that to happen it means that the West and East will have lost some of their top teams.

There's going to come a change at some point within the league structures. Right now, especially because of COVID, working out where the South belongs isn't a priority.

48 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

In what has so far been the only Lowland League Pyramid Play-off, Kelty Hearts beat Threave Rovers 0-4 away and 6-0 at home. Thing is they played each other in the SCC that year and Threave Rovers got a 2-2 at Kelty with Threave winning on penalties. With the 3 team format the SoS Champion will never be dominate, but has a chance to be a bit of a spoiler as they're 2 one off games for them.

The South out of the 3 leagues will also get stronger at the top if Dalbeattie and Gretna do end up there. For that to happen it means that the West and East will have lost some of their top teams.

There's going to come a change at some point within the league structures. Right now, especially because of COVID, working out where the South belongs isn't a priority.

There would be some benefits in creating a four team promotion / relegation play-off incorporating the EOSFL, WOSFL, SOSFL champions along with the last but one placed team in the LL.

Clubs would play for two LL places / reduced to one if an extra team is allocated to the LL following the LL /HL / L2 play-off.

Such a move would soften the blow of potentially two clubs being relegated from the LL each season, giving the last but one club a realistic opportunity save themselves and prove that they are worthy of a place in the LL.

46 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

There would be some benefits in creating a four team promotion / relegation play-off incorporating the EOSFL, WOSFL, SOSFL champions along with the last but one placed team in the LL.

Clubs would play for two LL places / reduced to one if an extra team is allocated to the LL following the LL /HL / L2 play-off.

Such a move would soften the blow of potentially two clubs being relegated from the LL each season, giving the last but one club a realistic opportunity save themselves and prove that they are worthy of a place in the LL.

I don't see the LL giving a relegation play-off spot due to the nature of the SPFL Play-off potentially changing the number of clubs that would be relegated.

Adding more relegation doesn't have the same fear that SPFL clubs have (Prize money, recruiting, national - regional profile). If you had the existing LL playoff with the top 2 teams promoted you'd probably get Dalbeattie & Gretna to sign off on it. As they would have a greater chance to bounce back from the South. With those two and the top LL teams not worried about relegation that could be enough to swing the 9 votes needed to pass such a change.

Fixture Secretary Kennie Young makes an appearance just after the decision to null & void was made. Nothing really new just another confirmation on what the WoSFL committee's plans seem to be.

Hoping to start early because of the 38 game Premier and cups, plus clubs probably wanting to get back to it. Mentions the 17 notes of interest that has since been trimmed with the WoS/EoS boundary decision. Harthill being the only exception in being able to apply.

Looking to keep the original 67 in Premier & 3 Conferences with the new applicant clubs making a new division underneath if the numbers are there. Which would go to setting up Premier,1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Divisions in 2022-23.

9 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Fixture Secretary Kennie Young makes an appearance just after the decision to null & void was made. Nothing really new just another confirmation on what the WoSFL committee's plans seem to be.

Hoping to start early because of the 38 game Premier and cups, plus clubs probably wanting to get back to it. Mentions the 17 notes of interest that has since been trimmed with the WoS/EoS boundary decision. Harthill being the only exception in being able to apply.

Looking to keep the original 67 in Premier & 3 Conferences with the new applicant clubs making a new division underneath if the numbers are there. Which would go to setting up Premier,1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Divisions in 2022-23.

The following article also sets a framework of what the future holds:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19175079.best-west-wosfl-look-future-null-void-verdict/

At the moment any club applying to join the WOSFL will have to meet the following ground criteria:
https://wosfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/WOSFL_-Entry-Criteria-2020.pdf

This is a “tough ask” for many aspiring Amateur Clubs despite allowing for some concessions that may be agreed by league officials for the opening season.
A case can be made for an additional set of “starter” ground criteria that could be set down by the League specifically for clubs entering at say Tier 10 in what effectively would be a Development Division(s).
If we look at what happened at Step 7 down south, these are the sort of parameters that could be established (obviously with some strengthening):
https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-new/files/get-involved/2020/ground-grading/regional-nls-feeder-league-min-requirements-july-2020.ashx?la=en
The link between Amateur Football and the WOSFL can be better facilitated with the creation of a Development Division (or possibly two conferences covering North and South) in which teams can be promoted to Tier 9 if they finish in a promotion place and can meet the standard ground grading criteria.
This in my view is how progression may take place - a Development Division for Amateur and Youth set-ups - where clubs can be “incubated” to progress to the higher more demanding semi-professional level.

Hopefully they can edit point 13!

5 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

The following article also sets a framework of what the future holds:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19175079.best-west-wosfl-look-future-null-void-verdict/

image.png.576d1c738f2791c1cdce84d8afafbed9.png

So a club could have potentially another 6 games in this plus a potential 8 games from the 2021-22 competition? I had thought they might mean replacing the 2021-22 with the 2020-21.....but what about those clubs that didn't take part in the 2020-21 season or were knocked out. That wouldn't be fair on them. Just null and void the 2020-21 competition as well and just pretend 2020-21 didn't happen and all the clubs can start afresh.

45 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

So a club could have potentially another 6 games in this plus a potential 8 games from the 2021-22 competition? I had thought they might mean replacing the 2021-22 with the 2020-21.....but what about those clubs that didn't take part in the 2020-21 season or were knocked out. That wouldn't be fair on them. Just null and void the 2020-21 competition as well and just pretend 2020-21 didn't happen and all the clubs can start afresh.

I don't imagine they'd be looking to drag it out over the season, but more a case of lets try and complete this as a pre-season type affair.

So a club could have potentially another 6 games in this plus a potential 8 games from the 2021-22 competition? I had thought they might mean replacing the 2021-22 with the 2020-21.

As far as I am aware no such suggestion has been made as of yet. The four leagues who run the South Challenge Cup have not met to discuss the matter. I don't know where Jim O'Donnell is getting that from, other than thinking back to what the SJFA did with last season's Scottish Junior Cup. The difference is that competition was in its closing stages, this season's South Challenge Cup is only at round 2.

Think the way to understand this is that it would be a bit off in protocol terms for the WoS to announce that the competition has been cancelled before all four leagues involved have met to make that decision collectively, but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that's probably going to be the decision when they do.

20 minutes ago, glensmad said:

As far as I am aware no such suggestion has been made as of yet. The four leagues who run the South Challenge Cup have not met to discuss the matter. I don't know where Jim O'Donnell is getting that from, other than thinking back to what the SJFA did with last season's Scottish Junior Cup. The difference is that competition was in its closing stages, this season's South Challenge Cup is only at round 2.

Also, the article states that Clydebank, Medda and Darvel all have their licence already. Is that correct?

ETA- just seen it mentioned on other thread there. JOD making things up.

Edited by jimbaxters

57 minutes ago, glensmad said:

No like Jim O'Donnell to make things up😇

On 13/03/2021 at 08:35, LongTimeLurker said:

The EoS twitter guy was not too far behind a few days ago tweeting out misleading information about the league having a fixed boundary at the Tay Bridge midpoint line of latitude that he later had to retract. 

I keep thinking about this intermittently and end up laughing my ass off.