Next non-Old Firm title winner

3 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

We'll never know. 

The top league team has the advantage.    I didn't really believe that until we were involved against whatever diddy team we scudded. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Are there any other leagues as one sided and only 2 teams have won the title for this long?

From memory Serie A is something mental like 20 years of just Juventus or a Milan side.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

From memory Serie A is something mental like 20 years of just Juventus or a Milan side.

Portugal has only ever had five top-flight league winners in it's entire history. Porto and Benfica have won every title since the early 80's, barring 2 for Sporting Lisbon and 1 for Boavista at the turn of the millenium.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently Leicesters wage bill was £80m that year, highest was Man U at £240m.

At that level though it becomes a bit weird. Leicester still had a squad full of experienced Internationals, and had spent over £30m on transfers that season.

This. 

The gulf is better measured as a multiple not a difference. 

Man Utd having 3 times Leicester's player budget is clearly less of a gap than Celtic having 50 times Kilmarnock's budget. 

FC Twente, Rijeka, Montpellier, Boavista have all proven it is possible if you get very lucky and have the right combination of things go your way.

The changes to European football and our better coefficient mean that middling Scottish Clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen and (possibly Hearts and United) will be able earn more money in Europe via the Conf Leagues and Europa League. Which could provide a non-OF club the tools to build a very good squad and challenge for the title.

Edited by ArabAuslander

I think there's a culture in Scottish football that's quite bizarre. Half the players of the team you or I support, support one half of the OF and pretty much bow down to them. Some of our best players over the past decade or so are never done speaking about Celtic (or Rangers of old) and that puts a team at a disadvantage straight away. Last time we were in the top flight, our captain, Darren O'Dea spent more time speaking about Celtic than he did us and then Kenny Miller vice versa.

Stuff like that spreads onto the pitch IMO. Even if it's subconciously. Too many players give the OF far too much respect. Boils my piss. Not that'd change the title holder - but the likes of Aberdeen should have given Celtic a bigger scare than they have and so should a few other teams over the years.

On 08/03/2021 at 09:30, ahemps said:

Success in football nowadays is all down to finance. Celtic had an advantage over Rangers for years but that gap has closed significantly and it is no coincidence that Rangers have won the league while their wage bills are the closest they have been for 10 years.

Scotland has the highest wage disparity in European football. Celtics wage bill is larger than the 10 other teams in the league combined. Celtic have a wage bill that is 21 times that of Livingston and around 6-7 times that of Aberdeen. The OF have a larger advantage over Scottish football than PSG do in France. 

When Celtic got pumped from PSG Brendan Rodgers pointed to the wages bills and said it was too much for them to compete with while conveniently ignoring he had the same advantage over all but 1 team in Scotland.

It is impossible to compete.

If Aberdeen found themselves top of the league at Xmas I have no doubt Rangers and Celtic would simply buy 1 or 2 of their best players to kill off any serious challenge.

The gap in finance has got bigger over the last 20yrs and is getting worse but it is now happening to almost every other league. Even previously competitive leagues like France and Germany are now for the most part a 1 horse race.

You can mainly thank the champions league for that, the elite protection league.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently Leicesters wage bill was £80m that year, highest was Man U at £240m.

At that level though it becomes a bit weird. Leicester still had a squad full of experienced Internationals, and had spent over £30m on transfers that season.

Agree with this.

Leicester also would have had a fair run with referees.

14 hours ago, gannonball said:

Depends who it is tbh but the gulf in budgets is way under what Leicester would have had (talking well over a hundred million you would assume) when they won the EPL. Same could have been said for Atletico Madrid a few years ago also would say. Aberdeen just need two teams to have an off season where as Leicester needed about 4 teams who are season as proper title contenders. 
It would still be a notable and outstanding achievement but it would be nowhere near Leicesters one imo.

I call bullshit.

Celtics wage bill bigger than the other 10.

No such gap in England.

13 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

Rules in place long before, if I'm not mistaken. 

Edit; what no one ever mentions re AFC finishing bottom is the fact we'd have had to negotiate a play off, where we could've won. 

So, it wasn't a stick on relegation avoided, it was the avoidance of a relegation play off. 

Dont baffle the diddies with the actual facts

32 minutes ago, big al said:

I call bullshit.

Celtics wage bill bigger than the other 10.

No such gap in England.

Bullshit on what? What I said about the finances gap in England even turned out to be underestimated as proven by another poster. 

Aberdeen also have a huge wage bill compared to the likes of Hamilton etc so Im not too sure what your alluding to. The odds of Aberdeen winning the league generally aren’t astronomical like Leicesters was. I think the odds for Aberdeen to win the league the year Leicester did it were lower end double digits whilst Leicester were 5000/1. You simply cant ignore the difference in those odds.

20 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Bullshit on what? What I said about the finances gap in England even turned out to be underestimated as proven by another poster. 

Aberdeen also have a huge wage bill compared to the likes of Hamilton etc so Im not too sure what your alluding to. The odds of Aberdeen winning the league generally aren’t astronomical like Leicesters was. I think the odds for Aberdeen to win the league the year Leicester did it were lower end double digits whilst Leicester were 5000/1. You simply cant ignore the difference in those odds.

You surely understand why Aberdeens odds are lower despite Leicester having a bigger advantage than Aberdeen?

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think there's a culture in Scottish football that's quite bizarre. Half the players of the team you or I support, support one half of the OF and pretty much bow down to them. Some of our best players over the past decade or so are never done speaking about Celtic (or Rangers of old) and that puts a team at a disadvantage straight away. Last time we were in the top flight, our captain, Darren O'Dea spent more time speaking about Celtic than he did us and then Kenny Miller vice versa.

Stuff like that spreads onto the pitch IMO. Even if it's subconciously. Too many players give the OF far too much respect. Boils my piss. Not that'd change the title holder - but the likes of Aberdeen should have given Celtic a bigger scare than they have and so should a few other teams over the years.

I think this is a bit overplayed at times. Kris Boyd was regularly in the media talking about Rangers when he played for us, and yet he relentlessly battered in the goals against them.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yep, Roma were the last outwith the 'Big 3' to win it in 2001.

Edit - Their team was unreal - Cafu, Totti, Montella, Batistuta, Delvecchio, Aldair, Zanetti.

Edited by TheScarf

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You surely understand why Aberdeens odds are lower despite Leicester having a bigger advantage than Aberdeen?

A bigger advantage over who though? Its surely relative as to who your playing against. Aberdeen have a financial advantage against about 80% of the teams they play in the league.  

58 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A bigger advantage over who though? Its surely relative as to who your playing against. Aberdeen have a financial advantage against about 80% of the teams they play in the league.  

As far as Aberdeen's advantage, you are preaching to the choir. This is exactly why I wanted a change in management.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I think this is a bit overplayed at times. Kris Boyd was regularly in the media talking about Rangers when he played for us, and yet he relentlessly battered in the goals against them.

I think it was a bigger problem years ago, when Rangers and Celtic genuinely had world class players playing for them. Nowadays, and I know it's a bit weird saying this when Rangers are unbeaten in the league, I don't think teams fear the OF the way they did. I think everyone goes into those games now thinking they've got a chance. I mean, you can always get a doing, because they are much better teams than the rest of us, but it's not the same as when they were lining up against Laudrop, Gascoigne, Gough, Van Bronkhorst, the De Boers, Larsson, Sutton, Lambert, Nakamura, etc, etc.

Kevin De Bruyne has just signed a £385000 per week contract at Man City. Think about that..... £20 million a year basic salary! Absolutely mad for kicking a football. His salary alone is more than all 10 clubs out with the bigots combined! It may even be more than the whole professional game in Scotland combined, once bonuses and personal sponsorship are added