Next non-Old Firm title winner

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This is a variant of the "Celtic keep winning because they want it more than other teams" trope that was seen around here till recently

It's really not.

Remove 50% of the challenge from the league and you make winning the title considerably easier. Those three clubs had the resources and finances to push for a "less difficult" title but failed. It's nothing to do with Celtic wanting it more, it's all about those three not getting their shit together.

Is that an insult towards those three clubs? No, it's an observation.

If someone other than the OF is to win the title, then they'd need some sort of backer that could squander £40-50million on a club just to see them win the top flight of Scottish football. And then what becomes of a club like that in the unlikely event it were to happen? As soon as the owner has had enough, then the club can only hope for a Gretna'esque quick death.  Maybe a Red Bull type investment down the line? Again, unlikely and most fans would hate the new incarnation of their club.

There's of course a chance that Aberdeen or Hibs etc have a season unlike any other, but as the last 30 year has shown, that's a pipe dream.

47 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

There's of course a chance that Aberdeen or Hibs etc have a season unlike any other, but as the last 30 year has shown, that's a pipe dream.

There was a small window of opportunity after the Rangers liquidation when maybe it could've been possible. Just needed Celtic to have a really bad year and someone else to have an absolute stormer. Obviously it never really got close to happening but that was the one and only chance I'll see in my lifetime I reckon, unless there is some massive shake up of the game or some mad rich investor but I think that's also unlikely.

10 hours ago, ahemps said:

The gap in finance has got bigger over the last 20yrs and is getting worse but it is now happening to almost every other league. Even previously competitive leagues like France and Germany are now for the most part a 1 horse race.

I know this isn’t the place for it and I am referencing a computer game here but I’m about 15 seasons into the new Football Manager (a good sim by anyone’s book) and the top 5 leagues are absolutely dominating in Europe and it’s all the same clubs every season. Which, based on what we’ve seen increasingly over the last 10 years or so, doesn’t seem to be that far of a stretch of the imagination.

• 5 weeks later...

It would need one of the other clubs to reach the Europa League group stages a couple of times so that they could access substantially greater finances on a regular basis.

That would be enough to see them put out a team of a quality to consistently beat The Rest in league matches, rather than stumbling and dropping points in seemingly easy games.

After that, it's just luck as to whether one of the OF have an off season, and how the decisions and chances fall in the head to heads against them.

Of course fewer head to heads against the best teams in the league would make things easier, but the restructure that would require ain't going to happen because clubs want the money from the OF's fans and from TV for playing x4.

A bit of a Gordian knot, then, but my starting point would either be a sugar daddy to put in the initial capital to reach European group stages, or league restructuring so there'd be fewer head to heads between the best teams.

I had thought that the additional European place would help increase our chances of someone reaching group stages, but seemingly the average coefficient will drop again next year since the total country coefficient points will have to be divided by our 5 European participants rather than 4 up until now.

10 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Whoever it is, it'll surpass any "9IAR" or "55" like achievement by some way. 

It would probably be the biggest achievement in football history with the way things are. 

It can't be another 30, surely?

Depends who it is tbh but the gulf in budgets is way under what Leicester would have had (talking well over a hundred million you would assume) when they won the EPL. Same could have been said for Atletico Madrid a few years ago also would say. Aberdeen just need two teams to have an off season where as Leicester needed about 4 teams who are season as proper title contenders. 
It would still be a notable and outstanding achievement but it would be nowhere near Leicesters one imo.

Edited by gannonball

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Depends who it is tbh but the gulf in budgets is way under what Leicester would have had (talking well over a hundred million you would assume) when they won the EPL. 

Apparently Leicesters wage bill was £80m that year, highest was Man U at £240m.

At that level though it becomes a bit weird. Leicester still had a squad full of experienced Internationals, and had spent over £30m on transfers that season.

28 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

And in a fair and just league system where wrongdoers were thrown out for financial cheating.  teams that finished bottom actually got relegated, instead of surviving on a rules technicality

On 08/03/2021 at 19:00, Ludo*1 said:

If someone other than the OF is to win the title, then they'd need some sort of backer that could squander £40-50million on a club just to see them win the top flight of Scottish football. And then what becomes of a club like that in the unlikely event it were to happen? As soon as the owner has had enough, then the club can only hope for a Gretna'esque quick death.  Maybe a Red Bull type investment down the line? Again, unlikely and most fans would hate the new incarnation of their club.

The Dons have already had a couple of seasons "unlike any other" in the last 30 years. Unfortunately, it was at the wrong end of the table...

On 08/03/2021 at 19:19, kdyteejay said:

Part of the blame must also go to Aberdeen for voting against loosening the stranglehold the old firm has in voting rights. It makes any sensible change almost impossible to achieve.

Yup.  This is a hill I'll be happy to die on.  Aberdeen fucked up in spades.    

They were the one club who would have had the most to gain from changing the voting rights.  Threw it away thinking they'd guarantee second place.  Short term-ism at its worst.  

As for Aberdeen and the 11-1 vote. It's the most shameful thing to happen in my time watching Scottish football. Yes it was a different regime but its unforgivable until everyone who lived through it dies I suspect. 

Ruined it . For every fan, player and team in Scotland outwith rangers 2 and Celtic. Until they go bust again or f**k off to the English league Two. 

Where's an angry mob when u need one. 

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

9 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Rules in place long before, if I'm not mistaken. 

Edit; what no one ever mentions re AFC finishing bottom is the fact we'd have had to negotiate a play off, where we could've won. 

So, it wasn't a stick on relegation avoided, it was the avoidance of a relegation play off. 

you would have been beaten like the dogs you are, and you know it

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently Leicesters wage bill was £80m that year, highest was Man U at £240m.

At that level though it becomes a bit weird. Leicester still had a squad full of experienced Internationals, and had spent over £30m on transfers that season.

Yeah, was gonna say this. The money in England means that the salient point here is less about Leicester competing with other English teams. It's more about the ways English teams can compete with the rest of Europe. Leicester could scout the entire world and give players a) competitive wages and b) an incredible platform.

The budgetary margins from Man Utd/City to the others might be vast, but  the reality is, as you've said, that there's a law of diminishing returns whether you're paying 30m or 80m for a player.

Most Scottish top flight teams would struggle to match English Championship wages, possibly League One. It's a real shame the wage cap has been scrapped as it could have played a huge part in raising the quality of players that clubs like yours and mine could have attracted.