Next non-Old Firm title winner

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

With today marking the first time in over three decades that a non-Old Firm team has won the title, do you think that another non-Old Firm team will win the title next season?

No not one, and there never shall be one.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

With today marking the first time in over three decades that a non-Old Firm team has won the title, do you think that another non-Old Firm team will win the title next season?

The Old Firm won it today and will always win it until the rest of Scottish football remove them like the cancer they are.....

The Old Firm won it today and will always win it until the rest of Scottish football remove them like the cancer they are.....

We my team won the league in 1980 it had been 15 years since a non OF team had lifted the title, Killie in 65, and that had seemed like a lifetime.
In the 15 years prior to Killies win, titles had been won by Hibs, Hearts, Dundee and Aberdeen.
Unfortunately the way the game is set up just now I doubt I will see a team outside of the OF ever win the league again.

Success in football nowadays is all down to finance. Celtic had an advantage over Rangers for years but that gap has closed significantly and it is no coincidence that Rangers have won the league while their wage bills are the closest they have been for 10 years.

Scotland has the highest wage disparity in European football. Celtics wage bill is larger than the 10 other teams in the league combined. Celtic have a wage bill that is 21 times that of Livingston and around 6-7 times that of Aberdeen. The OF have a larger advantage over Scottish football than PSG do in France. 

When Celtic got pumped from PSG Brendan Rodgers pointed to the wages bills and said it was too much for them to compete with while conveniently ignoring he had the same advantage over all but 1 team in Scotland.

It is impossible to compete.

If Aberdeen found themselves top of the league at Xmas I have no doubt Rangers and Celtic would simply buy 1 or 2 of their best players to kill off any serious challenge.

The gap in finance has got bigger over the last 20yrs and is getting worse but it is now happening to almost every other league. Even previously competitive leagues like France and Germany are now for the most part a 1 horse race.

18 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I refuse to comment until I read what@Gorgie greatness has to say on the matter

The opportunity was there but those with the most chance: Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, absolutely shat the bed.

Unless both sides of the OF are papped off to some low level European league setup, I doubt I'll see any team outside of those two win the title in the future. Sadly, while it was generally about the money before the 80's(ish), it's now completely and utterly about the money.

Edited by Ric

I grew up in the 80s which saw 4 titles win by non OF teams and Hearts being an Albert Kidd goal short of winning one.

It will never happen again in my lifetime IMHO.

Once Souness came to Rangers this period was always going to be over unfortunately. 

I watched guys who had been fans of my team all of a sudden discover they were really Rangers fans.

It saddened me then and still saddens me now 35 years later.

Before this the difference in wages outside OF wasn't massive an more importantly clubs had more power than players, eg Jim McLean and his 30 year contracts!

4 hours ago, Ric said:

The opportunity was there but those with the most chance: Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, absolutely shat the bed.

This is a variant of the "Celtic keep winning because they want it more than other teams" trope that was seen around here till recently