St Johnstone vs Hibs

McDiarmid Park is a ground which I have always had in my head we don’t do well at, and yet, and yet.

Since Hibs were relegated we have played there 6 times, 3 wins and 3 draws, our last defeat coming in 2014, Steven MacLean and a Ryan McGivern own goal coming either side of Danny Haynes getting sent off for trying to use David Wotherspoon as a doorstep.

A fixture that’s had a fair few draws over the years and a fair few own goals tbh (4 in the last 10 games), this all makes me conclude that St Johnstone are due a win against us at home and the goal will likely come in the form of an own goal.

St Johnstone 1-0 Hibernian

Doidge (og)

Edited by Les Cabbage

Is Doidge not on an identical goal free run as he was before his hat trick at McDiarmid last season? Sure I read that somewhere. 

Hopefully Rooney is back, and Melamed starts, and McCann comes back in, and Muzz returns.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Doidge not on an identical goal free run as he was before his hat trick at McDiarmid last season

Not sure if its identical, or worse but he is back to full on goal virgin territory.

Just checked - his stats are similar to Spoony.

Same goals scored and mins per goal.............difference is that one is a striker, one is a midfielder 🤣

Doidge has been absolutely rotten for the most part this season goal scoring wise. Does loads of work and holds the ball up sometimes but really not good enough for a striker.

St Johnstone have been the better side every time we’ve played them this season I think (even in our win), don’t expect Saturday to be any different. Could do without getting beaten given Aberdeen have Hamilton at home. 

Edited by Zing.

In fairness to Doidge, taking last Saturday out of it, we really do tend to play better when he’s in the side.

If I wasn’t so busy today I would do a wee bit of analysis on our results with him on the pitch vs our results without him on the pitch but I suspect our results are a lot better, regardless of his goals, or lack of, he’s a pest for defenders to deal with and does a lot of good work.

Edited by Les Cabbage

5 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Just checked - his stats are similar to Spoony.

Same goals scored and mins per goal.............difference is that one is a striker, one is a midfielder 🤣

The other key difference is that one left a club to go to a bigger one and win multiple trophies,  whereas Doidge joined Hibs.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

If I wasn’t so busy today I would do a wee bit of analysis on our results with him on the pitch vs our results without him on the pitch but I suspect our results are a lot better, regardless of his goals, or lack of, he’s a pest for defenders to deal with and does a lot of good work.

In league game this season alone where he doesn't start:

6 games

Won 3 (Kilmarnock at home x2, 3-0 at Motherwell)

Drawn 2 (threw away a 2-0 lead at home to Celtic, drew 1-1 against their B team)

Lost 1 (1-0 at Ibrox).

Edited by HibsFan

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

In league game this season alone where he doesn't start:

6 games

Won 3 (Kilmarnock at home x2, 3-0 at Motherwell)

Drawn 2 (threw away a 2-0 lead at home to Celtic, drew 1-1 against their B team)

Lost 1 (1-0 at Ibrox).

I am quite possibly talking shite then, in fairness during that Motherwell game he came off the bench and scored 😂

Am I wrong in saying he didn’t start against St Johnstone in the 2-2 game aswell? Seem to remember him coming on for Gogic and the game totally swinging in the wrong direction.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

I am quite possibly talking shite then, in fairness during that Motherwell game he came off the bench and scored 😂

Am I wrong in saying he didn’t start against St Johnstone in the 2-2 game aswell? Seem to remember him coming on for Gogic and the game totally swinging in the wrong direction.

Aye, Ross made the exact same mistake in the Semi Final too.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, Ross made the exact same mistake in the Semi Final too.

Doidge came on for Cadden not Gogic in the semi, and the game had already swung to St J - you were already two goals up.

Apart from that your answer is totally right......................

12 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Doidge came on for Cadden not Gogic in the semi, and the game had already swung to St J - you were already two goals up.

Apart from that your answer is totally right......................

He changed to 4-4-2 which opened you right up both times he brought Doidge on, which meant we had plenty of space to counter into. 

2-0 with ~40 minutes left isn't over, you'd had good chances in the first half and were still in the game. Changing to 4-4-2 ended your chances of a comeback.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

That's harsh Paulo, I'm sure they've won the B and Q cup or whatever it's called since Spoony joined us.

You would think that to be the case Tam with the amount of time our good friends from Leith have spent in the division below, but sadly no, they didn’t quite manage to win it.

Ignoring the old firm, as they just buy their trophies anyway, since the start of this century only Hearts, Hibs and Saints have won more than one major trophy, all on 2.

All three have won the championship once, but only St Johnstone have won the Challenge Cup.

I wouldn’t like to say whether that makes us the best football side outwith the OF this century...

But yes. Yes it does.