Shite for sale, or free, on the internet.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Went to a job in Kilmarnock town centre one day. Rang the door and when answered said I'm here to fix whatever. Fella sighed heavily and said, you want next door. He then, very patiently to be fair to him, explained that this happens constantly as there are a block of houses in the middle of the street which are called a different street name, just these 4 in the middle of a large street, and the numbers are the same, next door to each other but for a few feet between them. Absurd.

In Hong Kong, the number 8 is lucky and 4 unlucky.  Being superstitious they go to great lengths to get a number 8, 18, 28 and so on and avoid the 4s,  with 88 being the holy grail.  So, the developers play around with floor numbers to exploit this to charge more for the premium floors and simply don't have the 4 number floors.  Must be difficult being a paper boy there.  We bought an apartment on the 8th floor and paid a premium but funnily enough when we were selling the agent said there was no premium for such a number - cnuts!

10 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

There's no number 4 floor? So they go floors 1, 2, 3, 5, 6?

It's rare in the UK for hotels to have a room 13.  Some also miss out the 13th floor.

If you're in Room 14 you know what room you're really in.

3 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

It's rare in the UK for hotels to have a room 13.  Some also miss out the 13th floor.

If you're in Room 14 you know what room you're really in.

I did not know that.

That'll be my epitaph.

18 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

There's no number 4 floor? So they go floors 1, 2, 3, 5, 6?

Not just no No 4, but no 14, 24, 34, 44 and so on. They will likely miss a few towards the top to ensure they can get an 88!

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not just no No 4, but no 14, 24, 34, 44 and so on. They will likely miss a few towards the top to ensure they can get an 88!

You mean I could be standing on the 88th floor of a building, but I'm actually on the 79th? Why don't we just throw numbers out the window if we're going to be so arbitrary?! I demand to speak to the president of Asia at once!

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

You mean I could be standing on the 88th floor of a building, but I'm actually on the 79th? Why don't we just throw numbers out the window if we're going to be so arbitrary?! I demand to speak to the president of Asia at once!

Yep.  If you're lucky, No 88 will be 80 which is still lucky but not as much as 88.  But, it could be anything really as they create fake floors or simply skip them to get the required 88.  There was a case a good few years ago where a buyer sued the developer when they did a physical floor count and discovered they weren't on the 88th floor after all, something like 75th or something.  

On 02/04/2021 at 00:08, deej said:

So is there a floor 48 or 84? Are they just regular floors as the 4 cancels out the 8?

As it's superstition and not a hard rule it's always open to interpretation of the architects and owners. As 4 sounds like the word for death, any number ending in 4 would probably not be there. If a number contains a 4 it's more flexible.

Usually you will find a level number replaced and modern designs countering the floor numbers. Shanghai towers 84th floor is a lobby of a hotel and I assume it will be noted as that and not a number.

The hotel I regularly stay at in Jiading is like that and the hotel consumes the 40th floors. So the elevator from the ground goes to the 49th floor labelled as L missing out all floors from 39 upwards. There you go to another set of elevators with a different numbering system.  Confused? Welcome to Asia.

Some countries have brought in laws on this in relation to floor planning as it was getting ridiculous, ie: floors jumping from 39 to 50

When you buy a SIM card they are priced per lucky and unlucky numbers. You can buy a number containing 4s for maybe 10yuan, one with auspicious numbers could set you back up to 100. Anything ending in 8 a lot more and any ending in multiples of 8’s thousands. Any ending in 4 are free.

Think some guy paid near USD140k for the car registration containing multiples of 8.

Similar with the buildings in Vietnam. Every 4th floor in the modern apartment blocks are "KT" which is usually the gyms and swimming pools. Not sure about the bigger numbers. They always have floor 13 as 12A too.

On 02/04/2021 at 00:08, deej said:

So is there a floor 48 or 84? Are they just regular floors as the 4 cancels out the 8?

There will be a 48 (but no 44, that's a big no no) but 84 no.  Basically, if it ends in a 4 it's not likely to be there.

On the other side, I love the folk who ask for free delivery on Freecycle items. Usually completely incredulous that anyone would consider that unreasonable.

• 1 month later...

Anyone who actually needs a box that size (to hide their kids bodies in, for example) will be falling over themselves.

Seriously, try looking up the prices for non-standard cardboard boxes. Those guys must be raking it in.