The Ongoing Breakdown of the United Kingdom (Or the Other Empty-Headed Natters Thread)

NotThePars

On 05/03/2021 at 08:36, The Golden God said:

I like any sane person would agree that not having a cricket team is a good thing. Sadly they do have one, they're just a part of the English team, don't even get to be in the name

Who do you think our good cricketers play for. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Welsh election: Plaid promises independence vote in five years https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56654580

Hope they do well in the May election.

Scotland goes Independent leaving Wales a Principality and Northern Ireland a Province, so that's the end of a united kingdom.

On 24/03/2021 at 15:27, G51 said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/2993266/highlands-caucus/

oh aye?

Completely unsurprising to see the SNP's no. 1 list candidate for the Highlands trashing this idea.

It's not really a policy for this election, it's probably more of a council election thing but I wonder if a Highland party/alliance running almost entirely on a 'split up the monstrously big Highland Council' platform might gain a lot of traction.

28 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

It's not really a policy for this election, it's probably more of a council election thing but I wonder if a Highland party/alliance running almost entirely on a 'split up the monstrously big Highland Council' platform might gain a lot of traction.

Would imagine that would be a very popular policy, given the huge centralisation of power in Inverness.

Seizing power back from Westminster and Holyrood is only part of the solution to the Highlands woes. There's no point doing that if communities aren't empowered.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to make a trip to see the old dear. Out tidying up the garden when the old guy from next door pulls into his drive. Pleasantries exchanged, then he starts telling me about what he's been watching on YouTube... 'Why are we not fracking? I was watching this documentary...'. Over the next 10 minutes I got chapter and verse on climate change, global finance, and some casual racism, then he finally asked what I thought about Independence. 

I would have put the contents of my bank account that he's a rabid Tory voter anyway, but after giving me the benefit of a 5 minute lecture that was straight out of the Project Fear handbook, I asked him whether he'd rather be governed by Johnson and the rest of his pack of wankers? Well, apparently they are nothing compared to 'Nicola Surgeon (sic) and her wankers' , and started reciting a list of things they'd 'fucked up' in his words. I told him he could stop there and went back to the weeding, at which point he told me to f**k off and went inside. 

Must be well into his 80s so I'll be keeping my eyes on the obituaries column for when the old c**t karks it.

9 minutes ago, Utter Roaster said:

Had to make a trip to see the old dear. Out tidying up the garden when the old guy from next door pulls into his drive. Pleasantries exchanged, then he starts telling me about what he's been watching on YouTube...

I must be well on the way to becoming an irritable auld b*****d, as that's the point in any real-life conversation that gets a "not interested, bye" response from me.

Win-win, as I don't have to listen to the inevitable pish that will follow, and they get to go back online and moan about people being too scared to debate them.

1 hour ago, Utter Roaster said:

Had to make a trip to see the old dear. Out tidying up the garden when the old guy from next door pulls into his drive. Pleasantries exchanged, then he starts telling me about what he's been watching on YouTube... 'Why are we not fracking? I was watching this documentary...'. Over the next 10 minutes I got chapter and verse on climate change, global finance, and some casual racism, then he finally asked what I thought about Independence. 

I would have put the contents of my bank account that he's a rabid Tory voter anyway, but after giving me the benefit of a 5 minute lecture that was straight out of the Project Fear handbook, I asked him whether he'd rather be governed by Johnson and the rest of his pack of wankers? Well, apparently they are nothing compared to 'Nicola Surgeon (sic) and her wankers' , and started reciting a list of things they'd 'fucked up' in his words. I told him he could stop there and went back to the weeding, at which point he told me to f**k off and went inside. 

Must be well into his 80s so I'll be keeping my eyes on the obituaries column for when the old c**t karks it.

s-l300.jpg

On 20/04/2021 at 13:47, John Lambies Doos said:

Labour set for an overall majority in their parliament elections next month based on polling. Wales ain't going anywhere from the teat of England

We've actually got an "abolish the senedd" candidate standing, and they seem to have some, albeit small and swivel eyed, support. 

Support for independence as a concept probably won't show up in the polls because there isn't a credible party like the SNP backing it. 

I won't be voting for Plaid because  they're quite substance free. I Haven't got my head around Propel yet (new independence party). They seem to be a bit centre right but have offered a new bank holiday, so aren't out of the running yet. 

We've actually got an "abolish the senedd" candidate standing, and they seem to have some, albeit small and swivel eyed, support. 
Support for independence as a concept probably won't show up in the polls because there isn't a credible party like the SNP backing it. 
I won't be voting for Plaid because  they're quite substance free. I Haven't got my head around Propel yet (new independence party). They seem to be a bit centre right but have offered a new bank holiday, so aren't out of the running yet. 
Davids day for the BH?

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Davids day for the BH?

That's the one. 

Since posting though i've remembered i work in England, wouldn't benefit and may even be inconvenienced so Propel can do one. 

Didn't a recent poll put support for indy at Wales at about the 30% mark? That's a good starting base. Maybe if Plaid hadn't jettisoned Leanne Wood they could've built up some substance instead of being nationalist New Labour or whatever the f they're going for.

• 1 month later...