How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Reminds me of all those horrible jokes that I don't feel that I can tell anymore.

eg....    Two men walking down the street just as a huge belch of black smoke bursts from the chimney of the nearby crematorium.

One man remarks... "There goes another fat b*****d.

or

the very long story about a man who goes to the doctor complaining about agonising stomach aches.

The doctor asks him what he eats. The man then goes on to describe  a diet of 6 eggs, 5 rashers, etc for breakast,

lots more for lunch, and dinner, and multiple beers and takeways in the evening.  After about 5 minutes of the story, the doctor asks

him to bend over.  At which point.., the doctor exclaims.... "Ah, I see the problem..., you've only got one arsehole.".

Edited by beefybake

Real promise on this new drug treatment and if it goes someway to solve the obesity crisis it will be a wonderful thing for humanity as a whole.

The idea of just pushing personal responsibility clearly doesn't work with issues like obesity, alcoholism or drug addition and better ideas are needed.

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Real promise on this new drug treatment and if it goes someway to solve the obesity crisis it will be a wonderful thing for humanity as a whole.

The idea of just pushing personal responsibility clearly doesn't work with issues like obesity, alcoholism or drug addition and better ideas are needed.

There's a puritan streak in a lot of people's make up (including my own i guess) that expects/wants to see adverse consequences to anything pleasurable. 

That will cloud a lot of people's views as to whether this drug is a good thing or not. 

It seems self evident to me that the "best" option would be for everyone to eat healthily and exercise without medication. 

If some people are eating too much, this drug could help them not do that apparently. Is this a better option than continuing to hope they change habits? Probably. 

I don't think that this alone can solve the obesity crisis, but it can probably help. 

I wonder about the longer term effects.

Does having less of an appetite while medicated lead people to form healthier habits? I think how habits are formed is a big part of the problem. If a short course leads to long term change, then great. 

Does coming off the drug result in the appetite returning and the patient ordering a family bucket from KFC? 

What about moral hazard? Will more people let themselves go if they know there's a safety net? 

My instant reaction was that it seems like cheating and i don't think that's a helpful viewpoint 

• 4 months later...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/25/best-exercise-lowering-blood-pressure-planks-wall-sits-study

Ridiculously basic, cost-free exercises reduce the impact of one of the most common chronic health issues of a Western lifestyle. What's the catch? 

Dr Kush Joshi, a sports and exercise medicine consultant and fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine, welcomed the study’s findings, but questioned how easy it would be for patients to put into practice.

“The reality is a significant proportion of the population will not be able to do a plank or wall sits, and furthermore may not enjoy these types of activities,” he said.

tumblr_inline_ppkeygMAmw1tdj9l1_400.gif.2d7cd52a4c64c5b55b40cf40f8d3ead1.gif

With fatty enablers like Dr Kush busy raising concerns about the enjoyment of basic fucking tasks, we will get absolutely nowhere. 

Education is the best way to support people to lose weight. I've allways been overweight and a while ago my thyroid stopped working and I went months before it was diagnosed and the weight piled on. Got meds for that and fortunately a personal trainer started at my work. He helped me with diet and exercise, the exercise being going for a walk a few times a week. The diet was the big eye opener, I thought I was eating well however I wasn't. Too much carbs (rice) you know because rice and chicken is good for you. I basically just didn't know any better and everywhere is telling you to hit an exercise bike or a treadmill for an hour and nothing less and the diets are mental. Lost 2 1/2 stone so far just knowing what to eat and gentle exercise. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/07/2023 at 11:47, stimpy said:

Education is the best way to support people to lose weight. I've allways been overweight and a while ago my thyroid stopped working and I went months before it was diagnosed and the weight piled on. Got meds for that and fortunately a personal trainer started at my work. He helped me with diet and exercise, the exercise being going for a walk a few times a week. The diet was the big eye opener, I thought I was eating well however I wasn't. Too much carbs (rice) you know because rice and chicken is good for you. I basically just didn't know any better and everywhere is telling you to hit an exercise bike or a treadmill for an hour and nothing less and the diets are mental. Lost 2 1/2 stone so far just knowing what to eat and gentle exercise. 

Whilst i agree about education being the way forward, the internet is free and full of everything that people need. The issue is that people would rather sit and scroll through social media like complete zombies. People need to help themselves first and its sad that, sometimes, it takes a health scare for people to see the damage they are causing themselves (that comment isnt aimed at you by the way). 

10 hours ago, Aufc said:

Whilst i agree about education being the way forward, the internet is free and full of everything that people need. The issue is that people would rather sit and scroll through social media like complete zombies. People need to help themselves first and its sad that, sometimes, it takes a health scare for people to see the damage they are causing themselves (that comment isnt aimed at you by the way). 

That's my point, the internet is full of everything. Some say eat lots of pasta and the next says zero carbs and it goes on and on. People just not knowing what to do and getting stupid messages like "go to the gym" "exercise and you'll lose weight" when a walk every day is all that's needed. There needs to be sensible education and it needs to be everywhere. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Punting this copy to here to save me looking for this again from the 2015 Milk thread. I think I called it quite well back then.

On 28/09/2015 at 09:11, CityDave said:

The sugar is the lactose in milk, unless sugar is added it should be the same per pint unless the dairy are adding sugar (I've heard of this being done with fully skimmed milk) it can create health issues. The problem is the saturated fats or rather lack of it which if you have skimmed milk for breakfast you are more likely to go looking for something to fill that fats gap, craving carbs like grains or sugars later on which in turn can lead to weight gain. Also drinking skimmed milk we are missing out on fat soluble nutrients like vitamin A & E http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/which-milk-right-you

People all over the world have drunk full fat cows milk for centuries without weight issues for most of their lives, yet since WW2 when reduced fat milk was sold as a health food there has been increasing levels of obesity and other health issues due to diet especially in the developed countries, of course there are other factors involved there besides whatever milk you drink, but it would be interesting to see the real science behind it all and also focus on the diary companies have been guilty of one of the greatest food and health cons over the last 25 years in making us believe full fat milk with its saturated fats was bad for us and skimmed milk is much better for our health.

Go full fat and stay thin and healthy. ;)

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/reasons-why-skim-milk-is-a-total-scam/story-fneuzkvr-1226770294417

This and the rest, the internet is full of sites recommending full fat milk over skimmed and give their reasons why.

Currently enjoy the Graham's Dairy Gold Cap. Some folks like Cravendale and the Jersey Cow milk from Tesco, but its Gold cap for me. I don't drink a lot of it, usually when I need to top up on animal fats for energy, since I follow a very low carb and have practically cut sugar out of my diet.

My experience was that when I was young we used to get full fat milk delivered to our door step much to the delight of small birds. These wee b*****ds had nailed it, they knew naturally what it was that they needed, all that easy to get source of energy available regularly at 5 or 6 in the morning. Sometime during the 80's we switched to what we were told 'the more healthy low fat' semi skimmed. Back in the day when I was just starting out working after leaving school, I used to give breakfast a miss but would if really needed down a pint of the blue capped stuff and it would do me the morning better than a bowl of cornflakes and semi-skimmed, often not needing anything to eat until about 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I think I just went off the full milk out of habit because semi skimmed was always in the fridge. Come around full circle now.

Nowadays I only use semi skimmed to cool down a cup of instant coffee.