How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don't drink anymore and was never really a big whisky drinker but anyone with a brain knows this isn't true.  Same goes for beer - is the difference between Skol and Stella Artois just marketing?  Just nonsense.  

Claiming that different brands of particular types of alcohol are "essentially variations of the same thing" is wild, and strikes me as the type of thing someone who doesn't really drink (or can easily afford to buy only high quality brands) would say.

Yes the base component (and effects of consuming it) are the same, but it's completely bonkers to suggest that there is not a difference in taste or quality between brands.

On 18/01/2023 at 11:51, ICTChris said:

Same goes for beer - is the difference between Skol and Stella Artois just marketing?  Just nonsense.  

Well one of them is one of the biggest selling drinks on the planet and the other is Stella Artois. 

• 1 month later...

New weight loss drug approved for the NHS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64874243

Elon Musk reportedly used wegovy to lose weight and there has been controversy about it's use for weight loss in the US - there have apparently been shortages of the drug among diabetics, with some people blaming celebrities and others using it to lose weight.

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

New weight loss drug approved for the NHS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64874243

Elon Musk reportedly used wegovy to lose weight and there has been controversy about it's use for weight loss in the US - there have apparently been shortages of the drug among diabetics, with some people blaming celebrities and others using it to lose weight.

As a fat c**t who would probably benefit from this, i would hope it will be a last resort and not given out in lieu of making an effort. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

As a fat c**t who would probably benefit from this, i would hope it will be a last resort and not given out in lieu of making an effort. 

It is prescribed for use in conjunction with diet and exercise, although I guess there’s nothing stopping you taking it and not doing that.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It is prescribed for use in conjunction with diet and exercise, although I guess there’s nothing stopping you taking it and not doing that.

Good to know. I'd imagine that cost will be a big driver in getting GPs to advise cutting back on pies first before they prescribe anything.

I hear the potential (known) side effects are minimal so i guess this can only be a good thing overall. 

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

There should be measures in place whereby you are stopped being given it if you are not subsidising it with diet and exercise. 

Personally I think these things are a lot of shite but time will tell. Just seems another cost to the NHS and another way of avoiding being honest with obese people. That being said, if it works then could be a reduced cost to the NHS as people lose weight. 

Id be personally wary of anything that was deemed to work due to a billionaire losing weight. This is someone who can spend whatever they want to help lose weight. The average obese punter in the UK will not have such luxury

Edited by Aufc

It's not deemed to work because Elon Musk used it, it's been approved for use by the health authorities in the US and in the UK.  I think it was initially approved as a diabetes medication but now it's used specifically for weight loss.  The guidelines for prescribing are that it has to be part of a scheduled weight management programme - https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/nice-recommends-new-drug-for-people-living-with-obesity#:~:text=Semaglutide can only be prescribed,a maximum of two years.

Apparently Semaglutide costs $1,300 a month in the US - looking at the figures in the NICE report above, the same cost here is £73.25.  'MERICA.

On 18/01/2023 at 17:10, Todd_is_God said:

Claiming that different brands of particular types of alcohol are "essentially variations of the same thing" is wild, and strikes me as the type of thing someone who doesn't really drink (or can easily afford to buy only high quality brands) would say.

Yes the base component (and effects of consuming it) are the same, but it's completely bonkers to suggest that there is not a difference in taste or quality between brands.

I realise I'm late into this but I genuinely can't believe I just read that. What an absolute pile of fucking shite. 

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

^^^ full of Kestrel

You do realise I was on about the sentiment the you were responding to, and not your post? Possibly could have been clearer. 

Anyone who thinks that all alcoholic beverages are essentially the same thing should be completing children's puzzles under supervision, not advising a govt. 

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It's not deemed to work because Elon Musk used it, it's been approved for use by the health authorities in the US and in the UK.  I think it was initially approved as a diabetes medication but now it's used specifically for weight loss.  The guidelines for prescribing are that it has to be part of a scheduled weight management programme - https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/nice-recommends-new-drug-for-people-living-with-obesity#:~:text=Semaglutide can only be prescribed,a maximum of two years.

Apparently Semaglutide costs $1,300 a month in the US - looking at the figures in the NICE report above, the same cost here is £73.25.  'MERICA.

Yep, ‘Merica…the $1,090.79 for a 30 day supply retail price is charged to those without insurance so they can cut a deal for reduced cost to the insurance companies, b*****ds! The best discount price without insurance is $925.64/30 days.

Ozempic/Semaglutide was designed for type 2 diabetics…it essentially reduces the rate of stomach emptying, making you feel fuller quicker and longer. It’s most often used by diabetics in conjunction with metformin, which also has metabolic effects…and has alsobeen co-opted by the live longer crowd (f**k you, Elon Musk) on the theory that a slower metabolism will allow you to live longer.

I’ve had a pisser of a time getting my refills, and at one point had to switch to lower doses pens that required me to inject twice instead of once. Apparently they are making money hand over fist on Wegovy, so they’ve said they are working to increase production across the board, but these shortages show up when the pharmacies substitute Ozempic for Wegovy, reducing the supplies for the diabetics.

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You do realise I was on about the sentiment the you were responding to, and not your post? Possibly could have been clearer. 

Anyone who thinks that all alcoholic beverages are essentially the same thing should be completing children's puzzles under supervision, not advising a govt. 

I did not, sorry 🙈