How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

I guess the interviewer probably should have said "yes but you're morbidly obese"

Weight probably isn't that helpful in terms of if you are X weight you are healthy, as you can be fit and built like a shit house.

The whole health care system needs over hauled, I would really like to see yearly check ups with a health care professional so your weight can be tracked and issues identified early and referrals to PTs and dieticians to get people to lead a healthier and longer life. But it would cost millions especially considering the general health of the country at the moment.

I also don't think abuse is warranted or helpful but neither is sugar coating (lol) things going to help it's a fact that being obese will cause all sorts of issues and I genuinely thought Boris trying to shift some pounds and doing so quiet publicly might have spurred things on, but considering he's spending £27k on takeaway's it's more highlighting the issue with folk not knowing how to make healthy and good value meals.

The bit in bold is definitely true. However the only people I ever see stating this fact are absolute whales who’ve never seen the inside of a gym in their life, let alone dedicate the hours necessary to build the required amount of muscle to take their BMI beyond a healthy level.

6 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The bit in bold is definitely true. However the only people I ever see stating this fact are absolute whales who’ve never seen the inside of a gym in their life, let alone dedicate the hours necessary to build the required amount of muscle to take their BMI beyond a healthy level.

The gym itself if a difficult one a lot of people women/ girls in particular don't find it to be all that welcoming and people are unlikely to go if they think they will be judged for their size. 

Tackling the problem needs wider support, but yes BMI and weight aren't ideal but are okay as guides to say oh I'm getting a bit heavy. I'm not sure anyone who has past 18 stone is going to suddenly get their act together when they cross 20 stone for example.

I'm no looker, in fact I'm look like the HFL secretary in drag although not as rotund but by f**k Honey Ross makes me look like a solid 10!

Body posotive has gone so far the other way it's not healthy, in more ways than one.

Also how do people afford to be so huge?!

9 hours ago, 101 said:

I doubt many people who are fat are in denial that extra weight will significantly reduce their life span or increase their chances serious illness. 

Telling people what they can see with their eyes is unlikely to change behaviour especially if it's random people on the street using abrasive language. 

It's not about individual behaviour change but about confirming what is not acceptable behaviour at a societal level: such as being the size of a fucking house because you can't get past the biscuit aisle at Tesco's. 

A surtax on obese people will change individual behaviour. It's a system of sticks and sticks, seeing as carrots will never win over this group anyway.

10 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Well that’s probably because they are the people who have to defend themselves.

You don’t see people who drink themselves into a coma every weekend actually come under that much abuse, yet they are probably doing more damage given alcohol is a known poison. 

I have known naturally skinny people who have terrible diets, one smoked like a chimney and given the cholesterol/alcohol and cigarette damage would be lucky if any of them see old age tbh. Because you can’t see their damage though, there is no criticism. They are considers healthy because they are thin - and that’s where the link is actually much less helpful.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Well that’s probably because they are the people who have to defend themselves.

You don’t see people who drink themselves into a coma every weekend actually come under that much abuse, yet they are probably doing more damage given alcohol is a known poison. 

I have known naturally skinny people who have terrible diets, one smoked like a chimney and given the cholesterol/alcohol and cigarette damage would be lucky if any of them see old age tbh. Because you can’t see their damage though, there is no criticism. They are considers healthy because they are thin - and that’s where the link is actually much less helpful.

When has anyone ever claimed that binge drinking is actually healthy? Genuinely have never seen anyone ever say that. Alcohol is also very heavily taxed, whereas Pizza isn’t, so they are being targeted in this sense already.

Obviously looking at someone’s weight without taking into account other factors isn’t perfect and there will always be plenty outliers. However it remains true that typically someone that’s blatantly obese will have many more health problems than someone within a healthy weight range. 

I would never abuse a fat person and they obviously don’t deserve abuse. But at the same time it’s ridiculous to claim their lifestyle is in any way healthy. Just because a skinny person can be unhealthy too, doesn’t mean that fat people in general aren’t 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Ethanol alcohol is not 'a known poison' by any credible definition of the term; certainly none that would exclude 'carrying three stones of visceral fat around for years' from the exact same bracket. 

If we're going to discuss social help/harm then we need to consider the full extent of costs and benefits. What has happened since society has become more permissive of disgusting obesity? It has become crammed with so many obesity-driven, chronic diseases that the entire country has had to shut down multiple times because of a shan virus (cost: £ hundreds of billions). On the other hand, people unfairly calling out fatties in public rather than rake-thin smokers hurts some people's feelings (cost: £0). 

14 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

When has anyone ever claimed that binge drinking is actually healthy? Genuinely have never seen anyone ever say that. Alcohol is also very heavily taxed, whereas Pizza isn’t, so they are being targeted in this sense already.

Obviously looking at someone’s weight without taking into account other factors isn’t perfect and there will always be plenty outliers. However it remains true that typically someone that’s blatantly obese will have many more health problems than someone within a healthy weight range. 

I would never abuse a fat person and they obviously don’t deserve abuse. But at the same time it’s ridiculous to claim their lifestyle is in any way healthy. Just because a skinny person can be unhealthy too, doesn’t mean that fat people in general aren’t 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png

Nobody has tried to say that binge drinking is healthy but what I mean they don’t face name-calling or abuse for it on any kind of regular basis. It’s acknowledged as unhealthy and that’s it.

Even on this thread alone there are comments about whales, being as fat as houses etc. Obese people get those kinds of comments all the time.

The point is why? Why abuse them for their weight and not abuse the binge drinkers or even the smokers? 

I agree that it’s not right to claim obesity isn’t a serious health issue but the point that a lot of heavier people are trying to make is that being unhealthy doesn’t mean they 1) deserve to be abused for it or 2) Defines them as the whole person.

It’s ok to be obese and not hate yourself, or to just be seen as an obese person - they can be career-people, mothers, fathers, whatever. They aren’t just the whales or houses that people think it’s ok to call them.

Edited by Jambomo

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Nobody has tried to say that binge drinking is healthy but what I mean they don’t face name-calling or abuse for it on any kind of regular basis. It’s acknowledged as unhealthy and that’s it.

'Jakey'/'Alky'/Pished tramp' x57 other national/regional variations. 

I'm afraid that you're just seeing what you want to see, if you think that obese people are peculiarly subject to regular name calling and abuse within society. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked the scales today and, having lost four stone since February, apparently I've officially crossed the line from 'obese' into 'overweight'.

So, these obese c***s, eh? Bunch of wallopers. Grr.

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Just checked the scales today and, having lost four stone since February, apparently I've officially crossed the line from 'obese' into 'overweight'.

Good effort sir.

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Well done.

Now keep going ya fat b*****d. 😃

(I'm 87kg - BMI 27.8 so I'm an overweight b*****d as well)

Edit: And as for the answer to the original question. Eat less and exercise more for the vast majority. I'm sure a few people might have made this suggestion previously.

Edited by Suspect Device

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

Good effort sir.

This BMI thing is a bit of an oddity. Pretty sure I'd need to lose muscle mass too in order to hit the middle of the "healthy" weight range.

Guess I'll find out.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

This BMI thing is a bit of an oddity. Pretty sure I'd need to lose muscle mass too in order to hit the middle of the "healthy" weight range.

Guess I'll find out.

My target is the top range of healthy. I doubt I'd manage to get to the middle.

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

My target is the top range of healthy. I doubt I'd manage to get to the middle.

Says a lot, doesn't it? I wonder how many people do.

Was really shocked to see that, according to the NHS BMI Calculator, you're classed as 'active' if you take sixty minutes of exercise or more per week. I was doing that back when I was a couch potato.

Guess I'll find out.
Difference between the top of the healthy range and the mid point was a surprise to me. 25 pounds .

My BMI is just under 25. If I lost 25 pounds I reckon I would look very unhealthy.

36 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Moderately Fat Tabby Dave

Well, I'm still big. Can't do much about that without amputation.

I've never actually been tabby, though. Shocking.