How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Start with:

Council sports venues open longer and far cheaper. 

Adult cookery classes common place and reimagining of home economics taking place all through school.

Yearly check up with GPs including patients taking a weekly meal plan along to submit to a dietitian.

A way to directly engage with NHS dietitians and maybe even Personal Trainers who can help people workout within their limits.

Fast food advertising being more accurate i.e. ditching over filling versions for photography or using products in the advertising that isn't fit for consumption.

Calories being prominent on products with the addition of, this will take the average adult X Hours to walk off X minutes to run off.

That would be my start anyway.

Just a wee thought on the way in which this issue is belittled... This board is pretty understanding of the problems faced in poorer communities where people are generations deep into unemployment and social issues. There are clearly people who are generations deep into unhealthy eating habits so clearly, blaming them with no thought about re education is a bit silly. This is a huge re-education/cultural shift job. Sneering at fatties is borderline tory chat. Not in every individual case, but at a societal level, It absolutely is.

It must be heartbreaking for teachers, when trying to incorporate healthy eating and cookery classes into the curriculum, especially at Primary level, to see a) the “starting point where the children already are in terms of weight and gluttony b) the state of the lunchboxes given to the kids by their parents and c) the lack of vegetables and fresh fruit sold by local smaller supermarkets in some of these deprived areas versus number of shit takeaway shops.

I am not exempting fat rich kids, however truth is they usually have better options with usually better sports facilities at their schools, usually have some friends with parents who’ll cook better foods and expose them to healthier options etc. 

I think we need to focus generally on educating youngsters and as said by others, improve sports and fitness availability of facilities and opportunities. Let’s make gluttony be similar in the future to how kids now view smoking and to an extent over indulging booze compared to my generation (+50).

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just a wee thought on the way in which this issue is belittled... This board is pretty understanding of the problems faced in poorer communities where people are generations deep into unemployment and social issues. There are clearly people who are generations deep into unhealthy eating habits so clearly, blaming them with no thought about re education is a bit silly. This is a huge re-education/cultural shift job. Sneering at fatties is borderline tory chat. Not in every individual case, but at a societal level, It absolutely is.

Agree with this but you're barking up the wrong tree here. As is common pretty much everywhere in Scotland a lot of folk on here think that if you say "I don't like Tories" or "capitalism is a bit rubbish eh" then that's you covered in spite of your feelings about individual issues. It's politics as football teams again and what we do best up here

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't think anyone is turning their nose up at fat people. 

More their attitude that it is their body, their business, and a stubborn denial to accept their lifestyle is unhealthy / needs to change. This is exacerbated by being in the middle of a pandemic, the effects of which have been increased by the strain placed on the health service by obesity being a high risk factor.

Edited by Todd_is_God

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Every single thread conceivable...

Godwins law on Pie and Bovril but Tories. Stormzys Law. 

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Get rid of shit like Herbalife for starters.

Yes you will lose weight by sticking to it, but unless you plan on never stopping it it will teach you nothing about how to get the nutrients you need without shovelling calories down your neck too. End result is back to the only way you know, and you put that weight back on.

Far better to educate how to feed yourself in a balanced way. But of course there is no "repeat customer" money in that.

This could be said about every diet that has ever existed. 

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

Start with:

Council sports venues open longer and far cheaper. 

Adult cookery classes common place and reimagining of home economics taking place all through school.

Yearly check up with GPs including patients taking a weekly meal plan along to submit to a dietitian.

A way to directly engage with NHS dietitians and maybe even Personal Trainers who can help people workout within their limits.

Fast food advertising being more accurate i.e. ditching over filling versions for photography or using products in the advertising that isn't fit for consumption.

Calories being prominent on products with the addition of, this will take the average adult X Hours to walk off X minutes to run off.

That would be my start anyway.

I'd be willing to bet that less than 5% of folk know what their TDEE is.

Calories is another bugbear of mine. There are so many products that are deliberately misleading or make it incredibly difficult to work out how many calories are in it.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This board is pretty understanding of the problems faced in poorer communities

Its not. Its most a middle class patronising attitude of "we know best" towards those communities, invoking them to demand changes you want to see anyway then turning too deeply classist stereotypes when issues like old firm supporters or pro Union\pro Brexit comes up. 

But you do enjoy patting yourself on the back. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

More their attitude that it is their body, their business, and a stubborn denial to accept their lifestyle is unhealthy / needs to change. This is exacerbated by being in the middle of a pandemic, the effects of which have been increased by the strain placed on the health service by obesity being a high risk factor.

"Fat people deny they are unhealthy and need to change" is quite the sweeping assertion.

I assume that this is backed by some solid evidence and not just "in my experience" bollocks. 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

In terms of an epidemic which is what this appears commonly accepted as, the problem isn't the "my body my business" types IMO. Its the generations of kids who are growing up into adulthood knowing nothing except obesity, poor food and lifestyle choices and no education to the contrary. They have no chance, and waiting for them to turn up at a GP as a young adult then telling them "eat a salad fatty" is insulting to everyone's intelligence.

If you entire food world has been chicken dinosuars and parents who don't work and don't exercise, its going to be pretty fucking difficult to change. And these cases need a massive amount of help, and in turn, resources

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'd be willing to bet that less than 5% of folk know what their TDEE is.

Calories is another bugbear of mine. There are so many products that are deliberately misleading or make it incredibly difficult to work out how many calories are in it.

I have no idea what a TDEE is. 

4 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Its not. Its most a middle class patronising attitude of "we know best" towards those communities, invoking them to demand changes you want to see anyway then turning too deeply classist stereotypes when issues like old firm supporters or pro Union\pro Brexit comes up. 

But you do enjoy patting yourself on the back. 

We will just agree to disagree and leave that one there I think

Will probably get bad rep for this but theres a massive problem in society health wise in general.

Working long hours in stressful jobs

Dealing with stress by over eating, eating shite and drinking excessively

Being tired and worn down by the above so can't exercise

Those three things create a perfect recipe for getting overweight.

Then add on the ease to buy junk food and alcohol and how people make money out of it all. 

No wonder people find it difficult, they also see social media fitness people trying to sell them quick fix pills or fad diets and get depressed when they don't look like a supermodel or arnie overnight. 

That said the only real way to change is to see all this and fight against it. Find a motivation that's life long, not a fad. 

Small steps like drinking less, stopping crisps, only one takeaway. Go for a small walk. Over a year that makes a huge difference then push harder.

To change things I would make all exercise subsidised, keep gyms, fives and classes dirt cheap. 

Stop building fast food shops everywhere. Ban just eat and delivery services.

Educate kids to eat well and cook properly. Not just a few weeks of home economics. Get them almost brainwashed into eating healthily. Expand programs like jamie Oliver did.

There's going to be a health crisis with this and doing the above is far cheaper than a massive nhs bill.

Society needs to change though, going back to the first point. 

Work too long hours, eat shit, don't exercise and repeat = unhealthy 

Just now, coprolite said:

I have no idea what a TDEE is. 

TDEE is the number of calories your body needs in an average day just to "stay the same". It stands for your total daily energy expenditure. It's made up of three things:

1) Your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) - this is how many calories your body needs a day just to stay alive. Imagine lying in your bed all day without moving, your body would still need calories to keep your cardiovascular, nervous, digestive systems etc. all going.

2) The calories you need for day-to-day living - walking around the house, getting to work, working, sitting watching TV.

3) The calories you need for any additional exercise.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In terms of an epidemic which is what this appears commonly accepted as, the problem isn't the "my body my business" types IMO. Its the generations of kids who are growing up into adulthood knowing nothing except obesity, poor food and lifestyle choices and no education to the contrary. They have no chance, and waiting for them to turn up at a GP as a young adult then telling them "eat a salad fatty" is insulting to everyone's intelligence.

If you entire food world has been chicken dinosuars and parents who don't work and don't exercise, its going to be pretty fucking difficult to change. And these cases need a massive amount of help, and in turn, resources

It's not, though. We now see "big is beautiful too" type magazine covers and articles which, whilst not promoting an unhealthy lifestyle as such, do nothing to prompt people to lose weight.

We live in a world now where we are terrified to point out something as obvious as "being overweight is unhealthy" in case we offend people. Until that changes, we are pissing into the wind.