How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Like absolutely everything, the people they're targeting will just navigate the hurdle and continue as usual. 

Everyone else is mildly inconvenienced. 

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

If someone has just stretched a 2-hour task out to an 8-hour shift they shouldn't be very tired tbh. I think if I was their boss I'd be a bit pissed off.

I've had a few jobs where most of my day was spent doing meaningless activity to look busy, always at the boss' behest.

Spent almost a year reconditioning computers for a charity who were receiving funding from various sources; the idea was that we'd provide free machines for people on low incomes, and sell the rest. None of the PCs we reconditioned were ever sold or redistributed; by the time I quit, we were just being told to move things around from one place to another and re-do machines we'd already worked on so we'd look busy.

Another job fitting out work rooms; we'd start on the Monday to have them ready for the next week. As each room was finished, it was sealed off so everyone knew it wasn't to be used. Every single week, the bosses would realise they'd fucked up the schedule and would have the rooms stripped down so the equipment could be used elsewhere, so by the time Friday came around most of the rooms would need to be refitted over the weekend. Literally two days' work stretched out over six or seven due to chaotic disorganisation.

A retail job where one of the owners was obsessed with the idea that his underlings should never be still. If the shelves were stacked, paperwork was done, and everything else was clean, we were to mop the floor. Constant floor mopping, the net result of which was that the shop floor was always wet and filthy, as customer's shoes were getting washed on the wet floor and leaving the dirt behind. The smart move would've been to pay someone (literally) an extra couple of quid to stay behind for half an hour to clean the floor after closing, but having a clean shop clearly wasn't the actual point.

None of those businesses are still operating, strangely. For all the moaning some people like to do about the laziness of workers, there's nowhere near enough attention given to the rank incompetence of management.

37 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've had a few jobs where most of my day was spent doing meaningless activity to look busy, always at the boss' behest.

Spent almost a year reconditioning computers for a charity who were receiving funding from various sources; the idea was that we'd provide free machines for people on low incomes, and sell the rest. None of the PCs we reconditioned were ever sold or redistributed; by the time I quit, we were just being told to move things around from one place to another and re-do machines we'd already worked on so we'd look busy.

Another job fitting out work rooms; we'd start on the Monday to have them ready for the next week. As each room was finished, it was sealed off so everyone knew it wasn't to be used. Every single week, the bosses would realise they'd fucked up the schedule and would have the rooms stripped down so the equipment could be used elsewhere, so by the time Friday came around most of the rooms would need to be refitted over the weekend. Literally two days' work stretched out over six or seven due to chaotic disorganisation.

A retail job where one of the owners was obsessed with the idea that his underlings should never be still. If the shelves were stacked, paperwork was done, and everything else was clean, we were to mop the floor. Constant floor mopping, the net result of which was that the shop floor was always wet and filthy, as customer's shoes were getting washed on the wet floor and leaving the dirt behind. The smart move would've been to pay someone (literally) an extra couple of quid to stay behind for half an hour to clean the floor after closing, but having a clean shop clearly wasn't the actual point.

None of those businesses are still operating, strangely. For all the moaning some people like to do about the laziness of workers, there's nowhere near enough attention given to the rank incompetence of management.

"If you have time to lean, you've got time to clean", no, use that time to give colleagues quality training so that they have a better understanding of their current role & you can identify people who are close to, or ready to, step up. That way you can undertake Succesion Planning effectively rather than just make people do a pointless, mind numbing task.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

"If you have time to lean, you've got time to clean", no, use that time to give colleagues quality training so that they have a better understanding of their current role & you can identify people who are close to, or ready to, step up. That way you can undertake Succesion Planning effectively rather than just make people do a pointless, mind numbing task.

TBF, none of those jobs had any progression path, and I'm pretty sure the people in charge figured we were only in them because we were desperate, so they used us as disposable tools.

In one removals job, we were literally told that, if we fell down the stairs while carrying heavy items, we should prioritise the safety of the goods when we fell as we were replaceable, while damage to the goods would cost the business money. I don't know how someone can arrive at that mentality without thinking, "wow, I am a fucking psychopath".

This is more for something like the Work Colleagues thread, however. Back to ripping into those fat b*****ds!

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

TBF, none of those jobs had any progression path, and I'm pretty sure the people in charge figured we were only in them because we were desperate, so they used us as disposable tools.

In one removals job, we were literally told that, if we fell down the stairs while carrying heavy items, we should prioritise the safety of the goods when we fell as we were replaceable, while damage to the goods would cost the business money. I don't know how someone can arrive at that mentality without thinking, "wow, I am a fucking psychopath".

This is more for something like the Work Colleagues thread, however. Back to ripping into those fat b*****ds!

Here you, I'm a fat b*****d,, now I'm confused. Can I rip into them if they are fatter than me or can I only do it if I am a failed History Teacher?

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Here you, I'm a fat b*****d,, now I'm confused. Can I rip into them if they are fatter than me or can I only do it if I am a failed History Teacher?

Better restrict yourself to the ones who smoke too, just to be safe. And/or buy ready-made sandwiches.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

It's not an either/or though. You're spot-on about the training, and it ties neatly in with Dave's point about useless management, but equally if people are at a loose end, then having a culture of good housekeeping is no bad thing. The company I work for is involved in manufacturing and repair of pumps, motors, etc. Although the workshops can look old-fashioned in some areas, they have to be kept as tidy as practicable. The stuff we work on ends up in nuclear power station, oil platforms, submarines, etc. There has to be a culture of quality first, and poor housekeeping and a lack of tidiness is always a red flag. You can almost guarantee that the same people that have a pile of mess in their workstation are also the ones who aren't paying as much attention to safety or quality. We train and train and train and try hard to ensure progression paths are there and achievable, and I'll still get dismayed by going into the workshop to find idiots standing around picking their arses.

With regards to this topic, and pretty much anything: The boring reality is that carrots, sticks, education, opportunity, and a litany of other often contradicting tactics will work for some and not for others. There's no point in saying "this doesn't work - we should do that". There's no catch-all. I would, however, prefer it if they didn't backtrack on plans to tax crap food. It's cynical as hell to pretend the decision was about helping the poor, as there are loads of ways to ringfence the money and help people.

• 2 months later...

Here is a series of articles I saw shared by some Twitter anon account that makes the case that obesity is nothing to do with diet and exercise but entirely related to environmental contamination.  It's a long series of articles, I am working my way through them.  Very interesting.

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/07/a-chemical-hunger-part-i-mysteries/

Edited by ICTChris

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Here is a series of articles I saw shared by some Twitter anon account that makes the case that obesity is nothing to do with diet and exercise but entirely related to environmental contamination.  It's a long series of articles, I am working my way through them.  Very interesting.

cbf7b15a399ce1e005f9ff44a5f0504b.gif.00ea8f4b5cfc369abdb5d01ce1b187ee.gif

If only there was an explanation for why so many people are the size of a blimp, that doesn't rely on a stack of drivel theories compiled on Reddit. 

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg.aff4eaa4c145009ceac87eaf8c4d3d75.jpg

This might have something to do with it:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jul/25/almost-half-british-women-no-vigorous-exercise-survey

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm using that excuse.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

If only there was an explanation for why so many people are the size of a blimp, that doesn't rely on a stack of drivel theories compiled on Reddit. 

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg.aff4eaa4c145009ceac87eaf8c4d3d75.jpg

This might have something to do with it:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jul/25/almost-half-british-women-no-vigorous-exercise-survey

Genuinely surprised it’s not an even higher percentage tbh. A large proportion of Scottish females resemble Jabba the Hut.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Nah, fatties are just inferior beings. Better for all concerned to just leave it at that.

This section was quite amusing:

When we look closely, it turns out that “calories in, calories out” doesn’t match the actual facts of consumption and weight gain.

“This model seems to exist mostly to make lean people feel smug,” writes Stephen Guyenet, “since it attributes their leanness entirely to wise voluntary decisions and a strong character. I think at this point, few people in the research world believe the CICO model.”

ooh-cat.gif

I am inclined, as a 5'11, 10 stone weakling to look towards my favourite musicians for inspiration. 

Fats Domino, Solomon Burke, Van Morrison and Percy Sledge. All of whom were no stranger to a red pudding supper. 

Only Van the Man still alive mind you. 

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I am inclined, as a 5'11, 10 stone weakling to look towards my favourite musicians for inspiration. 

Fats Domino, Solomon Burke, Van Morrison and Percy Sledge. All of whom were no stranger to a red pudding supper. 

Only Van the Man still alive mind you. 

Fats was in his Nineties when he died IIRC, and still played at an annual festival thrown in his home town right up until he left us. So I think the big man did OK.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Fats was in his Nineties when he died IIRC, and still played at an annual festival thrown in his home town right up until he left us. So I think the big man did OK.

Fats was a legend. He was my old man's favourite artiste.