How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Stovies made with leftover roast beef = Tory.
Stovies made with lorne/sliced/square sausage = working class.
Stovies made with corned beef= ignorant corned beef hash eater.

a662880382ad170914ea3817e6960e22.jpg

That was the stovies I got served the other whilst in hospital [emoji23]

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh aye, our NHS is on it's knees dealing with all those skinny b*****ds.

What a nugget. 😂

I never mentioned the NHS being on it’s knees you perma-raging lunatic.

Away you go and get wound up at the existence of “meal deals” while you lather some mayonnaise on a slice of processed meat.

Wee bit odd btw posting one reply then deleting it to post something completely different.

Edited by eez-eh

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Happy to air my views anywhere as long as people  listen to what I’m saying

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Why is it that well - off people are always vilified when the poor are always glorified?

We do listen. We just can't believe what we're hearing.

11 hours ago, Aufc said:

I guess it’s easy for you comment on it as assuming you have never been in that position

Well no, I've certainly been in the positions of both cooking meals without the gratuitous nonsense Jack Monroe deems essential, and I've also been in the position of forking out well over 50% of my monthly wage on inflated rent, to a shyster who would look much better underneath a guillotine. Not £1500 a month mind you, but it's not as if living in London is some mysterious entrapment exercise. 

It'd be easy for anyone to comment though, because her arguments are objectively ridiculous. 

18 hours ago, Aufc said:

In a way, I tend to agree with what your man is saying. The sandwiches from the shops can sometimes be about 500-600 calories. Add in a packet of crisps and a can of fizzy juice and it is not overly nutritious. That’s about 800 calories for your lunch. Obviously fine if you are doing it once in a blue moon as you are rushing for time. However, doing that every day is not overly healthy. Although this would need to looked at in the wider context of the persons lifestyle

I often get a meal deal at work but counting calories I can get a full meal for <500 calories never mind just the sandwich. 

Sandwich/wrap for under 400, snack a jacks for under 100 and low cal juice.

18 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Yo where was all this energy when I said Pizza Hut was good scran. 

My daughter likes the pizza hut lunchtime buffet so that she can have a bowl of bacon bits with mayonnaise. It looks like cereal for dogs. 

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do they still do Home Economics in school and if so is it only for girls as it used to be in the olden days? Just asking as @Dawson Park Boy 's post reminded me of a guy at college on the first day who asked me how to cook his frozen pizza. I said just bung it in the oven, it wasn't until we noticed the fire that we realised he hadn't taken it out of the box. I'm not excusing all the let them eat cake, here's some flour and eggs cynical condescending bile coming from the Tories, but some basic life skills stuff would be handy for those not getting it at home, including money matters.

A neighbour of mine at uni asked how to cook potatoes. We told him to boil them for 25 mins. He complained that they were charred and raw in the middle. He hadn't put water in the pan. 

13 hours ago, virginton said:

You don't actually need a griddle pan to cook 99.9% of all possible meals though.

She's just laying it on thick as usual about completely superfluous expenses, while not dealing seriously with only relevant reason why she's struggling to make ends meet. 

She's not trying to do an analysis of why she's struggling though. She's making the narrow point that when people quote ridiculous prices for a meal, that's not the full story. Nobody reading that could think that she's actually saying it costs over two grand to make a bowl of pasta. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My daughter likes the pizza hut lunchtime buffet so that she can have a bowl of bacon bits with mayonnaise. It looks like cereal for dogs. 

A neighbour of mine at uni asked how to cook potatoes. We told him to boil them for 25 mins. He complained that they were charred and raw in the middle. He hadn't put water in the pan. 

She's not trying to do an analysis of why she's struggling though. She's making the narrow point that when people quote ridiculous prices for a meal, that's not the full story. Nobody reading that could think that she's actually saying it costs over two grand to make a bowl of pasta. 

That sounds absolutley repulsive. 

Bacon is the most overrated food in Britain imo. 

29 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My mate was left in charge of his kids meals once. He asked them what they would like. His son pointed out a jar of pasta sauce. He was duly presented with a plate of pasta sauce...no pasta.

13 hours ago, Michael W said:

Food in the UK is comparatively cheap compared with Western Europe. There is no VAT on basic foodstuffs, whereas most countries subject it to their reduced rate. But there must be more to it than that as that should only make a negligible difference. 

Well, yes there is - its for a separate thread but..................if you go down the route of removing most union power, deregulating pretty much every industry, encourage cheap labour from other countries, allow businesses to force people onto zero hours contracts, halt the building of enough social housing and the like, then there are a number of outcomes - not all negative, by the way.

• Food is cheaper
  • Gig economy works for many - students and the like - but it is 100% stacked in the employers favour. They can hire, fire, demand shifts etc.
  • Labour costs reduce
  • Staff have fewer rights and can be dispensed with at will (see P&O)
  • Enforced self employment in gig economy means many people cant afford (and wouldnt qualify for) a mortgage
  • They then spend a high %age of their wages on rent
  • Rents can go up in an unregulated manner but that doesnt matter as landlords are making a packet so the overall economy is "up".

However..............when you then add in Covid, Brexit and the Ukraine situation - 

• Fewer staff means food producers must pay more wages to pickers etc
  • Higher fuel costs and higher feed costs mean that basic food costs more at factory gate
  • As soon as they leave the factory gate more costs are added - transport due to fewer truckers, and even the supermarkets, pubs, restaurants, factories who will have to lift pay as foreign staff leave the country.

All countries will be suffering in one way or another - e.g. we are less dependent on Russian gas which is +ve, but are suffering massive post Brexit staffing and bureaucracy issues and everything (from supply to increased costs) that causes.

There are a million other reasons, lots of it can be directed at our wonderful Westminster Govt but most of it isnt for this thread.

5 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

"curbs on junk food placement "

What sort of nanny state nonsense is this. The government are legislating that shops will need to hide junk food or something? 

Pretty much, HFSS Legislation means that affected products cannot be on promotional ends or areas & can only be sold from its permanent fixture. Going to be a nightmare for me when it kicks in. There are also restrictions on how close they can be to the store entrance which is going to be fun in small format convenience.

I agree with whoever said above that stuff like
Managing money and cooking should be a necessity in schools. I know there is home economics in some schools but my experience of that is that it was shite and only did it for one year.

Just now, Leith Green said:

Which answer will make you lose your shit more?

I'm not in the country, im just interested. 

In honesty? If it was Scotgov, I'd feel disappointment. 

UKgov? Another reason to go indy! 

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

For a professional writer, Jack has made a complete arse of getting her point across there.

She's added one-off costs and presented that as her monthly bills.

Whatever point she was making got lost right there.

People like her do so much damage when they post stuff like this because it adds fuel to the fire that poor people are just too fucking stupid to be anything other than poor. She played right into that Tory bloke's hands.

What she SHOULD have done is either say nothing or present the full facts (full income and expenditure including all benefits and assistance payments) of what someone right at the bottom is facing each month. That latter bit would be impossible to argue against.

I get what she was trying to do, but aye it was fairly clumsy. 

An I/E for someone under 25 on UC with a disability would be as grim as f**k and would have made for a much more impacting statement imo.