How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Do they still do Home Economics in school and if so is it only for girls as it used to be in the olden days? Just asking as @Dawson Park Boy 's post reminded me of a guy at college on the first day who asked me how to cook his frozen pizza. I said just bung it in the oven, it wasn't until we noticed the fire that we realised he hadn't taken it out of the box. I'm not excusing all the let them eat cake, here's some flour and eggs cynical condescending bile coming from the Tories, but some basic life skills stuff would be handy for those not getting it at home, including money matters.

Edited by welshbairn

21 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I realise I’ll probably get slaughtered by the left wing mob but there’s a serious point to be made about the Tory MP who said people who go to foodbanks should be given lessons on cooking and how to make good and healthy meals at minimum cost. The number of great meals which can be made from a cheap chicken, a boiled ham or brisket plus a few vegetables is amazing.

IIt strikes me as condescending saying that people on the breadline can’t be helped in practical ways rather than throwing cash and food at them. We can all improve our home management skills and I see nothing wrong in that suggestion.
Again, on energy consumption, I’ve been using my smart meter much more and being more efficient where possible.

I think there’s a generation out there who maybe didn’t learn how to manage through harsh times and this is certainly a time where everyone could do with a bit more frugality.

house-hugh-laurie.gif.06bd0b4f7bced190e7a6e182d7f5d99a.gif

29 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I’ll probably get slaughtered by the left wing mob

There's no mob, there's individuals replying to you, as happens with a forum format. Just put your opinion without the victim framing.

I realise I’ll probably get slaughtered by the left wing mob but there’s a serious point to be made about the Tory MP who said people who go to foodbanks should be given lessons on cooking and how to make good and healthy meals at minimum cost. The number of great meals which can be made from a cheap chicken, a boiled ham or brisket plus a few vegetables is amazing.
IIt strikes me as condescending saying that people on the breadline can’t be helped in practical ways rather than throwing cash and food at them. We can all improve our home management skills and I see nothing wrong in that suggestion.
Again, on energy consumption, I’ve been using my smart meter much more and being more efficient where possible.
I think there’s a generation out there who maybe didn’t learn how to manage through harsh times and this is certainly a time where everyone could do with a bit more frugality.

Fucking hell.

No problem.
Most of them on here are thick as sh....

Go on then mate. Give us a weekly meal plan showing how you would make these easy meals on a budget. Got to ensure you get your daily fruit and veg plus other requirements

24 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

I've maybe too much time on my hands but been thinking how would you eat, cold meat with mayo.
Do you spread the mayo on the cold meat and roll it up.
Roll it up and dip into the mayo,
Or just fire mayo all over it and eat it with a knife and fork emoji848.png

It’s the kind of thing my Grandad used to eat. He used to also love some rancid cold mackerel with a dash of mayo on the side. Old people in general eat disgusting food I find. Pasta is an exotic dish to them.

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Go on then mate. Give us a weekly meal plan showing how you would make these easy meals on a budget. Got to ensure you get your daily fruit and veg plus other requirements

It would help if you would read

I specifically said that we  could all improve our food management and household economics. In my case my wife is in charge of he cooking department but I do notice t he amount of meals which can be made out of the one item e.g. a ham makes soup, can be taken hot one day with potatoes, etc, and then as a cold salad another. Likewise a piece of cheap brisket can make soup, be taken with veg. and leftovers can be made in to stories.

There is scope for everyone to improve and to deny that is ridiculous.

31 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

There's no mob, there's individuals replying to you, as happens with a forum format. Just put your opinion without the victim framing.

Preferably without the victim blaming as well.

I specifically said that we  could all improve our food management and household economics. In my case my wife is in charge of he cooking department but I do notice t he amount of meals which can be made out of the one item e.g. a ham makes soup, can be taken hot one day with potatoes, etc, and then as a cold salad another. Likewise a piece of cheap brisket can make soup, be taken with veg. and leftovers can be made in to stories.
Your point was to defend the tory shitheel, and his point was that folk are lazy wasters and can't be trusted.

The idea that you have your finger on the pulse enough to know this is correct is insulting to everyone's intelligence tbh.

Your point, like the horrible c**t tory you leapt in to defend, boils down to "poor people should be less thick and lazy, then they wouldn't be poor"

You are a horrible, nasty, vindictive person.

I am ashamed that you support the same football club as me.

Hope you get to airing your views in the stadium one day and get hunted.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

9B6E63C1-D1A1-44EB-905E-FCAD6791920F.jpeg

You make it all sound so easy. However, there are so many variables. Aside from the fact a lot of people can hardly afford to have their electric/gas running to cook the stuff you mention, they also have to spend ages budgeting to ensure they are able to afford a weeks worth of food on the measly amojnt they have. What about oils? Spices? Seasoning? All of these things cost money?

It is an absolute disgrace that in the Uk (one of the richest countries in the world) people are having to struggle by like this and all arseholes like you can is “well maybe they need to be taught how to cook or get a smart meter to know how much power they are using”

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Teaching people cook might not work. Since learning to cook I eat twice as much because eating is great but now I am fat.

When I quit smoking and got my sense of taste back I quickly realised my wife can’t cook for arse and my hot sauce budget quadrupled as a method of helping disguise the taste. 

12 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Hot sauce is the magic that makes almost anything taste nice. It's a saviour.

Current favorite - glorious stuff but at $5 for a 5oz bottle I’m very glad I don’t have any Tory MPs to condemn me and decry me as a modern day Viv Nicholson. 

C7034796-C4D2-44DB-88A0-EEA8DFD1B0BD.jpeg

BC05BB83-3263-4C37-98A7-64CFAA94AF3F.jpeg

Edited by carpetmonster