How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

8 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I hadn't heard of either of them so made the absolute schoolboy error of using google. Fucking hell Ross's daughter is a pure state and Lizzo will prob have a massive heart attacks sometime in the next couple of years. Honey Ross is a "Body positivity activist", whatever the f**k that is. Ridiculous.

Now you’ve made me do it out of interest, cheers for that. One of her thighs is genuinely about the size of my waistline. 

PS you are fat shaming scum.

Now you’ve made me do it out of interest, cheers for that. One of her thighs is genuinely about the size of my waistline. 
PS you are fat shaming scum.
Hope you'd already had your breakfast [emoji23]

Seriously though why would anyone want to promote that as an acceptable norm? What's brilliant about being monumentally unhealthy, wheezing like f**k up a set of stairs and sticking a load of massive health problems in the bank for about 10 years time?

I absolutely guarantee that one or both of them will lose a shit ton of weight and do a massive "MY AMAZING WEIGHT LOSS STORY" in some shite celeb magazine in the next couple of years.

On a female perspective, there is nothing wrong with being “curvy” and this should be celebrated to an extent. However, being obese should be called out and highlighted as being unhealthy.

'Body Positivity' has to be a wind up.  What's positive about being a fat rip?

Nothing. It’s just a phrase that fat people and SJW’s use to say that obesity is an acceptable lifestyle, enabling fat people to continue living their unhealthy lives in denial.

Nothing wrong with a bit of body positivity and people being comfortable in their own skin. But, as usual, it’s been taken too far by the more extremist side of the debate.

I don't understand how folk can get that big tbh. Not even like how they let it happen but the pure biology of it. If the human body can put up with that amount abuse without your heart immediately exploding then fair play to our creater Jehovah and our lord and saviour Jesus Christ

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

enabling fat people to continue living their unhealthy lives in denial

I doubt many people who are fat are in denial that extra weight will significantly reduce their life span or increase their chances serious illness. 

Telling people what they can see with their eyes is unlikely to change behaviour especially if it's random people on the street using abrasive language. 

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

I doubt many people who are fat are in denial that extra weight will significantly reduce their life span or increase their chances serious illness. 

Honey Ross and the other guest (Nadia something) certainly were. They were adamant that being obese does not mean you are unhealthy. Nadia in particular said that mentioning weight with regards to health was “unhelpful”.

Guest TheJTS98
58 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I don't understand how folk can get that big tbh. Not even like how they let it happen but the pure biology of it. If the human body can put up with that amount abuse without your heart immediately exploding then fair play to our creater Jehovah and our lord and saviour Jesus Christ

I was in a bar a while back watching maybe the fattest person I've ever seen knock back a run of pints, eat a pub curry, and chain smoke, alternating between fags and cigars. This was in Bangkok, so he had no bother smoking at his table.

This lad was so fat that I actually wondered whether his char would survive.

He looked to be in his late fifties or so. Staggering to think that this guy can be the size he is and have a lifestyle like that and still be pushing on towards sixty or so, yet Liam Miller died at 36. Life's not right sometimes, and the human body is a weird thing.

I get the general point that a lot of people, especially young females, have body confidence issues that lead to other negative outcomes, particularly eating disorders. A lot of people suffering these disorders are also not overweight. I can therefore see what some are trying to achieve. 

However there are some out there who are doing genuine harm. Obesity is unhealthy and I would've thought the pandemic had done more than enough to drive that home - you are putting your body under strain and are therefore at increased risk of serious illness from viruses that the majority are able to fight off. Then there's the multitude of risks from other illnesses - heart/kidney disease amongst other things. 

I posted this earlier in this thread, but Cancer Research put up a poster a few years ago highlighting that obesity is a risk factor for cancer and were slated for "fat shaming". This is an inconvenient fact being highlighted, yet the response was to shout at them for saying it, rather than acknowledging this is yet another issue that obesity poses. 

Smokers and drinkers have for years been subject to numerous campaigns about how their habits are unhealthy (and they are factual statements), so I don't see why obesity should be given a shrug of the shoulders. 

173797414.jpg.gallery.jpg

18 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

BBC radio Scotland had a segment on obesity and shaming of obese people today. Guest was Jonathan Ross’ daughter and the stuff she was coming out with was wild. She was furious and called out the presenter for ‘shaming’ after he quoted the rise in obese children from 40 years ago (1-2%) to more recently (think it was 15-16%). Just quoting facts and making no comment on it is apparently shaming.

She then claimed that obese people were targeted by the public and accused of being “the cause of Covid” during the pandemic. When he refuted that and said that nobody had ever claimed that, and did she mean that people had said being obese put people at more risk of having bad outcomes she was raging and hit back claming it “definitely happened, and as a larger person I know this”, before she eventually caved and said he was “being pedantic with her words”. No, you made a ludicrous and blatantly false statement and were called out on it, tried to double down before realising you’d fucked it and now are trying to paint him as a bad guy for pulling you up on your lie.

Fatties really don’t like being told they aren’t healthy.

Heard that, she's truly bonkers and deluded. Wid though.

2_honey-ross-jonathan2JPGjpgHone.jpg

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Smokers and drinkers have for years been subject to numerous campaigns about how their habits are unhealthy (and they are factual statements), so I don't see why obesity should be given a shrug of the shoulders.

Without going politically off-topic, this part is just a misguided extension of the idea these days that 'whatever you are is ok'.

People just misguidedly extend that to being unhealthily overweight. It's a cultural moment that will pass.

12 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I was in a bar a while back watching maybe the fattest person I've ever seen knock back a run of pints, eat a pub curry, and chain smoke, alternating between fags and cigars. This was in Bangkok, so he had no bother smoking at his table.

Legend

20 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Honey Ross and the other guest (Nadia something) certainly were. They were adamant that being obese does not mean you are unhealthy. Nadia in particular said that mentioning weight with regards to health was “unhelpful”.

I guess the interviewer probably should have said "yes but you're morbidly obese"

Weight probably isn't that helpful in terms of if you are X weight you are healthy, as you can be fit and built like a shit house.

The whole health care system needs over hauled, I would really like to see yearly check ups with a health care professional so your weight can be tracked and issues identified early and referrals to PTs and dieticians to get people to lead a healthier and longer life. But it would cost millions especially considering the general health of the country at the moment.

I also don't think abuse is warranted or helpful but neither is sugar coating (lol) things going to help it's a fact that being obese will cause all sorts of issues and I genuinely thought Boris trying to shift some pounds and doing so quiet publicly might have spurred things on, but considering he's spending £27k on takeaway's it's more highlighting the issue with folk not knowing how to make healthy and good value meals.

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Surely you realise that c***s like that are the extremes of the debate and are put on radio shows for this exact reason? I really don't believe that a majority of overweight people think like that. As far as I'm aware Honey Ross or this Nadia person aren't qualified to be talking about obesity and it's affect on your health, they are just overweight people who enjoy an argument. I agree that putting these folk out there isn't helpful but I still don't think we can base the argument on a couple of absolute nutjobs who are just looking for a fight. It's essentially Talksport radio for the obesity issue. 

In my experience I've never met anyone who is overweight and shouted about how proud they are of it. I personally know 2 people who at times have not left the house because they are afraid of what others think of their size. These have been social events that they've looked forward to for ages, yet when they go to get ready the only thing they can think is "everyone thinks I'm a fat c**t" and they talk themselves out of going, yet a lot of folk on here are of the opinion there isn't enough shame in being overweight. It's just not accurate.