How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

I was reading something about physical activity and the Department of Transport has a long running survey on transport methods in the UK, how many journeys are take on foot, via bicycle or car etc.

In the latest 18% of those surveyed responded that they walked twenty minutes without stopping once a year or less.  Nearly one in five people literally never walked for more than a few minutes.

Public Health England did a survey about physical activity and asked how often respondants walked at a 'brisk pace'.  Not running or jogging or trotting just walking purposefully - 44% of people said less than ten minutes, which was the lowest option and basically means never. 

There's a big balance between diet and exercise in terms of obesity but that is unbelievable.  Imagine never walking anywhere.  How do people go to the park with their children if they never walk or just do anything?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

There's a big balance between diet and exercise in terms of obesity but that is unbelievable.  Imagine never walking anywhere.  How do people go to the park with their children if they never walk or just do anything?

The only thing I know for sure is that it’ll be someone else’s fault and there will be no personal responsibility taken.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

In the latest 18% of those surveyed responded that they walked twenty minutes without stopping once a year or less.  Nearly one in five people literally never walked for more than a few minutes.

That really is about as grim as it gets. You need to wonder what sort of mental state these people are in if they are so reluctant to do such a primary function such as walk for a couple of minutes. Good lord.

25 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Intrigued to see how they function day to day

I can’t imagine people like that would have any sort of positive momentum whatsoever anyway. In still not convinced the figures are correct and people may still be getting more exercise than they realise.

I am lucky enough to have a treadmill in my house and I try to go on it at least 4 times a week for 30 mins.  Sometimes I walk, sometimes I run.

My phone is sat on one of the wee trays you can put stuff in like a water bottle when I'm on it so it's not tracking my steps/movement.  I work from home at the moment so I am sat on my arse all day.  When I got into bed last night and checked my steps it said I had done 1200.  I didn't leave the house yesterday and I did over 1000 just by living and it not counting the 30 mins I did on the treadmill.

You definitely do more steps/get more exercise than you think.

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I was reading something about physical activity and the Department of Transport has a long running survey on transport methods in the UK, how many journeys are take on foot, via bicycle or car etc.

Public Health England did a survey about physical activity and asked how often respondants walked at a 'brisk pace'.  Not running or jogging or trotting just walking purposefully - 44% of people said less than ten minutes, which was the lowest option and basically means never. 

It’s because they are addicted to sugar and any mild physical movement would just heighten the cravings, you monster.

On 16/03/2021 at 12:28, BFTD said:

I dunno, how much moving negates the consumption of a box of Milk Tray?

A 530g box with 511g per 100g will take running a marathon to shift. 

A large pizza with pepperoni is roughly the same. 

So a good movie night could easily require a 50 mile run. 

Excercise is part of the solution but for people who overeat a lot (as i am prone to) the main remedy in practice is to eat less. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Excercise is part of the solution but for people who overeat a lot (as i am prone to) the main remedy in practice is to eat less. 

I think this information on food would be really helpful, I would find it off putting. I know it shouldn't really come as a suprise but just having it in black and white "if you eat this (you will) it takes X Hours walking/ cycling/ running"

19 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Eating less and exercising in tandem is required.

With reference to the above though, it’s also more important to focus on eating better food rather than just eating less shite. If you are having a large pizza every night, then you could run all day and still be fat. Rather than eating less and having a medium pizza every day instead of a large, you’d be better sticking to your large pizza on a couple of nights a week and eating something healthier the other nights.

17 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Eating less and exercising in tandem is required.

With reference to the above though, it’s also more important to focus on eating better food rather than just eating less shite. If you are having a large pizza every night, then you could run all day and still be fat. Rather than eating less and having a medium pizza every day instead of a large, you’d be better sticking to your large pizza on a couple of nights a week and eating something healthier the other nights.

I agree that's what would work best for most people. There's no one size fits all though and some people will genuinely be put off by the thought of the more healthy options. If it works for someone to just eat less shite then they should do that.  

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It would be just as accurate to say that burning off the box of milk tray will take eight hours of sleeping.

Now that's the kind of excersize regime I'm interested in.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I agree that's what would work best for most people. There's no one size fits all though and some people will genuinely be put off by the thought of the more healthy options. If it works for someone to just eat less shite then they should do that.  

Just eating less shite will never work for someone though. They’ll still be huge.

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It would be just as accurate to say that burning off the box of milk tray will take eight hours of sleeping.

This is the bmr index which nobody seems to talk about. I would burn 1500 calories in 24 hours If I did absolute zero exercise. Almost makes 20 minutes on the bike seem like a waste of energy as id only burn 200 there.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Are they above seven years of age? If so then their whining can be safely filed in the fucking bin where it belongs then.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Are they above seven years of age? If so then their whining can be safely filed in the fucking bin where it belongs then.

Yes, this ‘people might just not want to eat healthy food’ stance is just complete and utter bollocks. It’s simply not acceptable for someone who’s obese to complain in any way about it whilst they are taking precisely no action to resolving it through either exercising a lot more, or not stuffing their face with a large pizza every night.

Lots of people in this country eat like children. They aren’t given different foods to eat as a child and they just carry that into adulthood. Their palate doesn’t develop and they don’t learn to deal with complex or nuanced flavours. So if you try to give them food that isn’t laden with fat or sugar they can’t deal with it. This is also why you often find very overweight people are extremely picky eaters, as counter intuitive as that sounds. I have a friend who is hugely overweight and he is massively persnickety about everything he eats, it has to be a certain type or brand or very specific. He has specific issues that contribute to his weight as well though.