How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Local Authorities should limit the number of Take Away Food places in areas. In Falkirk Bainsford Larbert Stenhousemuir we have areas where every second shop is a Take Away Food joint.

One Indian, One Chinese, One Chippy is enough to cover a large area. The other variety of outlets should be shut down. Finally That crap that is sold as Donner Meat should be banned.

Edited by NUMBER 7

It is remarkable how changed things are regarding smoking.  My dad smoked when we were kids and whenever we visited anyone, they'd give him an ashtry and he'd happily puff away in someone elses house.  He happily smoked in the house around me and my brothers.  Everyone smoked in the office, in pubs, in cafes, in restaurants.  On public transport buses were usually non-smoking and trains had a smoking carriage.  I once visited my dad when he was living abroad and you could smoke on the plane. 

This isn't that long ago either, late 1990s.

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It is remarkable how changed things are regarding smoking.  My dad smoked when we were kids and whenever we visited anyone, they'd give him an ashtry and he'd happily puff away in someone elses house.  He happily smoked in the house around me and my brothers.  Everyone smoked in the office, in pubs, in cafes, in restaurants.  On public transport buses were usually non-smoking and trains had a smoking carriage.  I once visited my dad when he was living abroad and you could smoke on the plane. 

It was in March 2006 when the smoking ban came into pubs/clubs, I remember being in Glasgow for the weekend and it was a massive blizzard that came on the Saturday night that smoking had become illegal in pubs. There was a massive snowball fight on S.Hall street that night.

Local Authorities should limit the number of Take Away Food places in areas. In Falkirk Bainsford Larbert Stenhousemuir we have areas where every second shop is a Take Away Food joint.
 One Indian, One Chinese, One Chippy is enough to cover a large area. The other variety of outlets should be shut down. Finally That crap that is sold as Donner Meat should be banned.
Right, anycunt advocating the banning of donner kebabs can fucking fight me right now

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

A half arsed search threw up a paper from 2008 which states that >50% of nurses are either overweight or obese, although I'm not sure what the 'regional' study areas were.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18460166/

Don't mention it to our NHS nurses though, a quarter of which are obese:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-nurses-obese-stats-figures-survey-results-a8091781.html

https://nursingnotes.co.uk/news/anger-nhs-staff-accused-being-fat/

Surely they'll all be skinny as f**k by now with all the dancing they did on tiktok

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
43 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Right, anycunt advocating the banning of donner kebabs can fucking fight me right now

Square go then as they are fucking barking

49 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My mum and dad both smoked. I can smell it a mile off with kids I teach when they come from a house where someone smokes and it's bowfing, but that's how I would have smelled 25 years ago. I know my mum regrets it and my dad developed COPD and then died of lung cancer.

1 hour ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Its as much a social/lifestyle problem.

Ah yes but the social/ lifestyle issues directly correlate from the economic problems many people face.

Karl-Marx-portrait-jubilee-trier-germany-capitalism-economist-communism.jpg

Edited by NotThePars

Read the first couple of pages of this and am now leaping to reply. Sorry if I'm just repeating what's been said.
I'm seriously overweight. My weight has gone up in 4 stages in my life, all of them stress/ mental health related. In the 3 gaps between those times my weight came down a bit, but never to where it was before. The last 5 years have been a nightmare for my wife and I with something that should have taken no more than a year dragging on endlessly and is still not over. If systems that are supposed to work had worked it would have been resolved within weeks. HR policies and employment rights don't mean anything if its this hard to enforce them.
So it's exactly the cycle you describe. We're under a lot of stress and I'm working full time, there are no other responsible ways to get release so I eat in the evenings. It's better than drinking. I'm not sleeping well and I'm too tired after work to exercise and it hurts my back and knee anyway. Besides, walking alone in the dark is no fun at all and I fking hate gyms.
There's a lot of stress that comes with life no matter what, but the other stuff, the problems that people create through selfishness, arrogance, dishonesty, cruelty, a lack of empathy, we need to stop tolerating that. We could go a long way to fixing this through fairness at work, in benefits, in justice and in public services.

Can I ask - is it a case that you are eating too much in the evening or is it the type of food that you’re eating? Or both?

1 hour ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Never have I seem so much wrong in one post.

Banning my favourite food ffs.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

It was in March 2006 when the smoking ban came into pubs/clubs, I remember being in Glasgow for the weekend and it was a massive blizzard that came on the Saturday night that smoking had become illegal in pubs. There was a massive snowball fight on S.Hall street that night.

I can remember being in Variety Bar the first Friday night of the ban and being shocked at being able to see from one side of the pub to the other. 

It completely changed clubbing, some of the best nights out ended up being half spent sitting in the doorway next to Subby or the manky lane next to the Arches. 

If we are looking for a political model to deal with obesity, it's Juche not boring old Communism.  For, as Olympic rower James Cracknell said, they've got a handle on obesity

https://news.sky.com/story/north-korea-has-handle-on-obesity-says-olympic-rower-james-cracknell-10842043