How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Ten pages in eight hours. The new Coronavirus thread.

I'm going to guess it's going to be a similar level of analysis based on expertise and experience, and not hysterical diatribes based on personal prejudice  :P

What proportion of the 60+% of the population who are overweight do you think are in regular contact with a GP, who informs them in no uncertain terms that their behaviour is killing them? And that message is not particularly effective if it only takes place within a doctor's office and is ignored by the rest of society. 
One of the doctors plus the practice nurse at my surgery are massive. Any weight loss advice from either would be laughable.

27 minutes ago, Michael W said:

P&B also beat the BBC to it with this thread. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/britain_diet

I see that quotes £6bn a year in nhs spend. 

Home delivery take away sales. Were £8.5bn

Soft drink manufacturers turned over £16bn

Sugared confectionery sales were £12m

VAT on all that £7.2bn.

That's before taking into account non delivered take aways, crisps, etc. 

Clearly self funding. 

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

One of the doctors plus the practice nurse at my surgery are massive. Any weight loss advice from either would be laughable.

A half arsed search threw up a paper from 2008 which states that >50% of nurses are either overweight or obese, although I'm not sure what the 'regional' study areas were.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18460166/

Don't mention it to our NHS nurses though, a quarter of which are obese:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-nurses-obese-stats-figures-survey-results-a8091781.html

https://nursingnotes.co.uk/news/anger-nhs-staff-accused-being-fat/

Edited by Hedgecutter

8 hours ago, G51 said:

Reduce working hours and increase the minimum wage for a start.

There's no reason we should be working longer than a 30 hour week at this point in history.

Some dunt being able to smash the green circle for this and take it to the Popular Post point.

A half arsed search threw up a paper from 2008 which states that >50% of nurses are either overweight or obese, although I'm not sure what the 'regional' study areas were.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18460166/

Don't mention it to our NHS nurses though, a quarter of which are obese:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-nurses-obese-stats-figures-survey-results-a8091781.html
https://nursingnotes.co.uk/news/anger-nhs-staff-accused-being-fat/
Again though shift work, unsociable hours and stressful job would all be contributing factors there. It's the classic example as nurses know 100% the issues being overweight brings but it still isn't enough to overcome the fairly obvious contributory factors to the weight problems within that profession. These are complex multi layered issues no matter how much some posters break them down to a simple eat less exercise more "shame the fatties" argument.

Single fat maw on benefits......kids healthy weights and home cooked meals. Also fruit available. They were all weaned baby lead. Older two great with fruit but all three less great with veg. I’m not nearly active enough  but kids are. 

I did standard grade and higher home ecc but there was very very little cooking done. But that may well have changed since then.

My kids like baking and it’s a good gateway to cookery, my youngest showing interest in main meal cooking. I’ve also taught them knife skills. 

My mum cooked and taught me. Did three summers in a hotel kitchen too which I loved. 

My middle one has allergies so freezer to oven stuff wouldn’t work.

TL:DR: it’s complex societal problem.

25 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
49 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Again though shift work, unsociable hours and stressful job would all be contributing factors there. It's the classic example as nurses know 100% the issues being overweight brings but it still isn't enough to overcome the fairly obvious contributory factors to the weight problems within that profession. These are complex multi layered issues no matter how much some posters break them down to a simple eat less exercise more "shame the fatties" argument.

Vaccine uptake among nurses is piss-poor as well yet none of the prior excuses apply for that. They're as capable of making moronic personal choices as any other worker then. 

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Vaccine uptake among nurses is piss-poor as well yet none of the prior excuses apply for that. They're as capable of making moronic personal choices as any other worker then. 

Im almost certain that the 1st priority group which included NHS workers had uptake of over 90%, was that not the case, worrying if so.

I've see no evidence that outwith BAME staff, vaccine uptake in nurses is "piss poor" as you put it. The BAME issues are way more widespread than profession.

Are you saying obesity is a lifestyle choice ?

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This is a ridiculously simplistic approach which falls in line with the sort of stuff governments do just so they can be seen to be doing something (eg the introduction of a "sugar tax"). I am a fairly healthy, fit adult, but I still enjoy fast food and/or a takeaway every now and again. I also drink "carbonated soft drinks" regularly - mainly the diet versions which I am well aware are not good for me in certain ways, but which are very unlikely to contribute to obesity given that they don't actually contain anything of any calorific value. Banning things that plenty of people enjoy sensibly just because some people overuse them is a terrible idea.

Like @HibsFan, I think being more active is a massive part of things. I love walking - if I'm not in a rush (eg going to work) or dressed up (eg going out for a meal) I pretty much walk everywhere I want to go as long as it's within about 90 minutes. I also run quite a lot. That keeps me in good shape even though I eat a fair amount of shite. Getting people out and about more is cheaper and easier to do than trying to overhaul attitudes to food. Obviously you'd try to do both, but one has an instant impact. Of course, both the UK and Scottish governments have done the absolute opposite over the last year by putting the fear of god into folk about going out for a simple bit of exercise.

Never said anything about banning anything. 

As you say yourself you enjoy fast food every now and again and you drink mainly diet versions of carbonated soft drinks which your well aware are not good for you.

You understand that these things can contribute to health issues and make a choice in amongst other choices to counter balance that. Thats good.

These companies spend millions on targeted advertising and that should be countered with good education and awareness of what a healthy lifestyle should consist of and how we can achieve it and efforts put in place to make that accessible to everyone.

Its as much a social/lifestyle problem.

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I've see no evidence that outwith BAME staff, vaccine uptake in nurses is "piss poor" as you put it. The BAME issues are way more widespread than profession.

Are you saying obesity is a lifestyle choice ?

I'm not sure what being BAME has to do with working in a hospital in a pandemic and deciding nope, that proven effective jab is not for me Clive. Perhaps if you took your beloved nurses off a pedestal for a moment, you'd recognise that yeah, that's just down to there being the same proportion of idiots taking zero responsibility for their own actions within that group as brickies or engineers. They don't actually live out NHS best practice on a 24/7 basis. 

Obesity is the outcome of lifestyle choices for the overwhelming majority of people, absolutely yes. Are you claiming that it isn't? 

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

It's not a trope it's a fact. 

I'm no longer cool but smoking cigarettes with your friends is great. Club smoking areas improved nights out no end. 

It was maybe cool years ago. What I'm saying is that the majority of kids I know who smoke are not in the 'cool club' at school.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Read the first couple of pages of this and am now leaping to reply. Sorry if I'm just repeating what's been said.

I'm seriously overweight. My weight has gone up in 4 stages in my life, all of them stress/ mental health related. In the 3 gaps between those times my weight came down a bit, but never to where it was before. The last 5 years have been a nightmare for my wife and I with something that should have taken no more than a year dragging on endlessly and is still not over. If systems that are supposed to work had worked it would have been resolved within weeks. HR policies and employment rights don't mean anything if its this hard to enforce them.

So it's exactly the cycle you describe. We're under a lot of stress and I'm working full time, there are no other responsible ways to get release so I eat in the evenings. It's better than drinking. I'm not sleeping well and I'm too tired after work to exercise and it hurts my back and knee anyway. Besides, walking alone in the dark is no fun at all and I fking hate gyms.

There's a lot of stress that comes with life no matter what, but the other stuff, the problems that people create through selfishness, arrogance, dishonesty, cruelty, a lack of empathy, we need to stop tolerating that. We could go a long way to fixing this through fairness at work, in benefits, in justice and in public services.

Great post, you're right it's all of that.

I found a community online who work out together in parks. There's no money, no ego just people trying to help each other. I reckon that could take off here if it hasn't already. Nearly all of them say it helps their mental health.

Smoking is now a low status signifier.  It used to be universal and, to an extent, a high status signifier.  Then it became alternative and rebellious and had cache through that.  Now people just look down at smokers as being stupid and poor.  I assume this is reflected in school children as well as the general population.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Smoking is now a low status signifier.  It used to be universal and, to an extent, a high status signifier.  Then it became alternative and rebellious and had cache through that.  Now people just look down at smokers as being stupid and poor.  I assume this is reflected in school children as well as the general population.

Absolutely this.