How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

Food producers purposefully make cheap food addictive and spend fortunes advertising it. The obesity crisis has been entirely manufactured by big corporations.

It's obviously correct that it's ultimately down to individual consumer choices but it doesn't preclude taking action against corporations that load their products up with fructose which is driving the upsurge in diabetes. 

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

This is part of the problem.

It would be much healthier to cook from scratch than just bung something in the microwave.

Cooking from scratch has an opportunity cost that putting something in the microwave doesn't.

I think we should employ people at supermarkets called "Fatty Prodders". They can stand at the checkouts and examine the contents of said persons shop. If it contains too many fatty items it gets announced over the tannoy that there's a big fat greedy b*****d leaving the store to stuff their face with unhealthy foods. Shame these disgusting beings into depression, eventually they'll stop eating and lose weight. 

Not really. Understand why someone has gotten to the stage they have. Help them find ways of breaking bad habits that have got them there. Give them routine and regular exercise. And most importantly, remove poverty. Some people will be able to do these steps on their own, others will need help. Sadly poverty will always be a big driver of this and I'm not sure that's a problem that gets solved. 

Really looking forward to the "I bought this healthy dinner for a total of £3.22, fat people are at it when they say they can't eat healthy cheaply" type posts. 

Get rid of shit like Herbalife for starters.

Yes you will lose weight by sticking to it, but unless you plan on never stopping it it will teach you nothing about how to get the nutrients you need without shovelling calories down your neck too. End result is back to the only way you know, and you put that weight back on.

Far better to educate how to feed yourself in a balanced way. But of course there is no "repeat customer" money in that.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm sure this will be treated like the extremely complicated issue it is and not turn into a partisan 'shame the fatties' vs 'it's society's fault'.

I blame dentally deficient virgins, personally.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think we should employ people at supermarkets called "Fatty Prodders". They can stand at the checkouts and examine the contents of said persons shop. If it contains too many fatty items it gets announced over the tannoy that there's a big fat greedy b*****d leaving the store to stuff their face with unhealthy foods. Shame these disgusting beings into depression, eventually they'll stop eating and lose weight. 

Not really. Understand why someone has gotten to the stage they have. Help them find ways of breaking bad habits that have got them there. Give them routine and regular exercise. And most importantly, remove poverty. Some people will be able to do these steps on their own, others will need help. Sadly poverty will always be a big driver of this and I'm not sure that's a problem that gets solved. 

Really looking forward to the "I bought this healthy dinner for a total of £3.22, fat people are at it when they say they can't eat healthy cheaply" type posts. 

As soon as I read the words "fatty prodders" this was the first thing that popped into my mind.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://thesoapbox89.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/the-big-house-must-stay-open.jpg&key=16f833f4544d4f35202cdfb58571cb3f7aff2122f240f3c8b8acece646185ee8

Edited by Hillonearth

Supermarket checkout conveyor belts to double as treadmills so that the fatties can burn something off whilst waiting in the queue.  That and place large boulders in the trolleys.

As one of the major retailers would say, every little helps.

https://www.dw.com/en/obese-not-us-why-the-netherlands-is-becoming-the-skinniest-eu-country/a-18503808

"One thing is that the Dutch move a lot," says Brouns, confirming everything I've seen. "So if you look outside, you see cycling everywhere… Most of the children go to school on foot or by bicycle. That is one big difference to most European countries."

Another factor helping the Dutch stay thin is the government's willingness to attack health risks at multiple levels, particularly in schools and in low-income areas.

Encourage people to be more active, this is happening in the UK with the spread of better road planning at the local level etc. Run public health campaigns to support more informed choices, target those campaigns. 

If you look at obesity rates by country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_obesity_rate

The UK is in pretty poor shape compared to countries near by with the same basic food types on the shelves, the same income distributions etc. We are pretty close to Ireland though. 

We need to identify what the UK (and Scotland a lot of this is covered by the devolved government) is doing differently to the likes of Denmark and Belgium then work from there. I do not think guesses are going to cut much ice.