Next SNP leader

Next SNP leader  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Katie Forbes is quire an impressive politician but think her time will come in 5-10 years when she has bit more experience.

I think Angus Robertson would be  a decent choice if he gets in as he used to be much more impressive than Ian Blackford when he was in Westminster. Failing that i think it might be Humza Yusef. I honestly think replacing Nicola Sturgeon with Joanna Cheery would be the equivalent of replacing Tony Blair with Gordon Brown. and we all know how well that turned out.

Joanna Cherry is clever but she has had charisma bypass and would cost SNP tens of thousands of votes.

Having said that if it was a choice between her and wee beady eyes two faced Tory weasel Douglas Ross, i would vote for her all night long

It's not even 18 months since I held my nose and voted for Cherry in her constituency, but she's made such a rip-roaring c**t of herself over the past while that if, by some miracle, she did end up leading the SNP, I wouldn't be able to vote for the party at all. Greens in that case.

It will never happen because she could never garner the support required, but still.

1 hour ago, Glen Sannox said:

Keith Brown is ex British Army, so he’s no chance. Kate Forbes is Free Church of Scotland, so she has no chance either.

It’ll need to be a Central belt based, celtic minded type, to placate the snp masses. Stephen Bonnar or Margaret Ferrier would be my bet!

Keith Brown was a Royal Marine Commando.

Get it right minter.

And you can bolt with the rest of your quasi sectarian bullshit post as well.

The issue is that all of the likely contenders have completely thrown their lot in with Sturgeon, which is problematic not only in the sense that there are aspects of the Salmond inquiry which could get very serious indeed (namely, the Daily Record leak) and blow shrapnel in her successor's face, but also that there is only likely to be a Sturgeon-lite successor which I feel will only perpetuate issues like twitter culture policy agendas and hoarding party levers in the leadership's favour.

Cherry is the only real 'alternative' option. In my opinion she's the most talented politician and strategist of those listed that is capable of handling the office of FM,  but for obvious reasons would be too divisive and probably wouldn't appeal to voters as much as Sturgeon does. That there is no one in the middle of the two is a big problem for the party.

If they get a majority in May then I think the best option would be to wait until Covid is over then get someone new in. There's lots of people I know who are for independence but are also complete idiots and blame Sturgeon personally for them not being able to go to the gym/hairdressers/whatever. The obvious choice would be Angus Robertson as he could kick f**k out of the entire Tory cabinet all at once and declare independence whilst impaling the linesman on his flag.

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t think she will go but if Sturgeon does resign and the SNP lose the election or at least don’t win a majority then I think we could see some really unexpected consequences for Scottish politics and society. I think a significant part of what gets called the ‘Yes movement’ will become more extreme, embittered and conspiratorial, traits that aren’t exactly lacking in some of them at the best of times. Without wishing to sound melodramatic there are lots of people in this country who have invested so much in independence, the SNP and sturgeon personally that we could see some sort of backlash or reaction of some sort.

Most importantly, it would all be really, really funny. As above, I don’t think it’ll happen though.

To be fair, they are the ones who want her gone...

To answer the question: Forbes. Been doing a senior cabinet job for a while but also new enough not to be part of the various psycho dramas.

An inexperienced campaigner but would benefit from lowered expectations in a tv debate, and the likes of Ross aren't exactly stellar debaters anyway.

8 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

Keith Brown is ex British Army, so he’s no chance. Kate Forbes is Free Church of Scotland, so she has no chance either.

It’ll need to be a Central belt based, celtic minded type, to placate the snp masses. Stephen Bonnar or Margaret Ferrier would be my bet!

Two tropes in the one sentence, excellent.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t think she will go but if Sturgeon does resign and the SNP lose the election or at least don’t win a majority then I think we could see some really unexpected consequences for Scottish politics and society. I think a significant part of what gets called the ‘Yes movement’ will become more extreme, embittered and conspiratorial, traits that aren’t exactly lacking in some of them at the best of times. Without wishing to sound melodramatic there are lots of people in this country who have invested so much in independence, the SNP and sturgeon personally that we could see some sort of backlash or reaction of some sort.

Most importantly, it would all be really, really funny. As above, I don’t think it’ll happen though.

Like Celtic chasing 10IAR?

But I think you're right, it won't happen.

The more I think about it the more I think Sturgeon is quite the jenga piece holding the SNP electorate together.

If she does have to go I could see the SNP vote collapsing. They’d still be the largest party in Holyrood by a distance but they’d need to rely on Labour to pass any votes

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

The more I think about it the more I think Sturgeon is quite the jenga piece holding the SNP electorate together.

If she does have to go I could see the SNP vote collapsing. They’d still be the largest party in Holyrood by a distance but they’d need to rely on Labour to pass any votes

Correct. 

Pretty sure it'll be Angus Robertson and he'd model himself in a way that would similarly capture the sort of Sturgeon coalition we see today. I think it'll most likely be someone who would be politically quite similar to Sturgeon anyway, if it's a Cherry then it'll be a complete shitfest.

A bit unsure if Humza would handle it. Swinney would actually be competent at the job and a good First Minister in getting legislation passed but has been the sacrificial lamb fed to the shitfest of that education brief, don't think he'd be allowed to contest an election (but maybe a more shadowy figure behind the scenes).