Fixture at the Most different venues.

On 21/04/2021 at 22:45, tamthebam said:

One of the Hibs v Hearts games in the 1870s was at IIRC a ground called "Mayfield". This description can cover a biggish area in the Dalkeith Road/Cameron Toll/Mayfield Gardens/Mayfield Road locality although my football history buff City supporting chum reckons Mayfield was in the Prestonfield Avenue area (Echo Bank as was)

I think the ground described as Mayfield was on the west side of Newington Cemetery, i.e. the opposite side to Echo Bank.  It was on the east side of Mayfield Road where the road now crosses the railway line.  The land on which the ground stood was taken for the construction of the South Suburban Railway.  

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

Dundee United. They started in 1909 at Clepington Park which I’m sure was renamed Tannadice Park. Arbroath at Gayfield since 1880, so all but their first 2 years.

2 hours ago, bluedragon said:

Morton will be up there as they have played at Cappielow since 1879.

Well I was thinking Raith might be close too, but with the common rebuilding needs. I suspected most teams have at least two or three places they’ve played regular home matches. Before Starks Park in 1891, Raith has Sands Brae and Robbie’s Park between 1883 and 1891, something I don’t doubt is common among older clubs. The other question would be how to count something like the Bayern Munich home Cup match, held  at Easter Road.

On 06/03/2023 at 10:16, bluedragon said:

I think the ground described as Mayfield was on the west side of Newington Cemetery, i.e. the opposite side to Echo Bank.  It was on the east side of Mayfield Road where the road now crosses the railway line.  The land on which the ground stood was taken for the construction of the South Suburban Railway.  

Would this be it here?

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.6&lat=55.93295&lon=-3.16895&layers=134&b=1

There is also this one but I don’t think they ever played on it…

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.5&lat=55.95499&lon=-3.14258&layers=142&b=1

On 06/03/2023 at 04:45, Eednud said:

Dundee United. They started in 1909 at Clepington Park which I’m sure was renamed Tannadice Park. Arbroath at Gayfield since 1880, so all but their first 2 years.

The current location of Gayfield is slightly different to the original - they moved the pitch something like 50-60 yards in the 1920s in order to build a stand. I don't know if that counts as a new ground.

On 06/03/2023 at 09:55, bluedragon said:

I think they played some matches at Somerset Park just after WWII as Cappielow was still requisitioned.

On 08/03/2023 at 21:36, craigkillie said:

The current location of Gayfield is slightly different to the original - they moved the pitch something like 50-60 yards in the 1920s in order to build a stand. I don't know if that counts as a new ground.

Yeah, the Pleash End goals were roughly where the players tunnel is now. There was room for standing about 2 deep down the Ladyloan side.

Anyway, for a while, agnyone drawn away in a cup to Stirling Albion could refuse to go to Annfield because of the original plastic pitch. Accordingly, Arbroath have definitely played the Binos away at Firs Park & Muirton. I think there was also a cuptie at Ochilview but I wasn't there. Add in Annfield & Forthbank and that's 5 different away grounds in addition to Gayfield.

Edited by lichtgilphead

On 08/03/2023 at 10:32, Spyro said:

Yes, that is it.  In the centre of the map “Mayfield Str” becomes “Craigmillar Park” after the road crosses the railway line.  I believe the football ground was to the east of that road and between what is shown on the map as “Ventnor Terr.” and “Crawfurd Road”.

1 hour ago, bluedragon said:

Yes, that is it.  In the centre of the map “Mayfield Str” becomes “Craigmillar Park” after the road crosses the railway line.  I believe the football ground was to the east of that road and between what is shown on the map as “Ventnor Terr.” and “Crawfurd Road”.

That sounds very close to where Powburn would have been too. I’ll need to have a proper investigation, the gap between Ventnor Terr and the railway line looks proper tight! Unless it ran down where McLaren Road is now.

There’s the old Halls of Residence across the tracks to the south, the later maps show a ground of some sort there but I had assumed that was Powburn as the burn runs under the tracks there.

5 hours ago, Spyro said:

That sounds very close to where Powburn would have been too. I’ll need to have a proper investigation, the gap between Ventnor Terr and the railway line looks proper tight! Unless it ran down where McLaren Road is now.

There’s the old Halls of Residence across the tracks to the south, the later maps show a ground of some sort there but I had assumed that was Powburn as the burn runs under the tracks there.

I have confused things. Sorry!

POWBURN

Going back to your map.  The railway crosses east to west the road running south that becomes “Savile Ter.”  I believe the football ground stood on the land between “Mentone Terr” and the building described as “Female Blind Asylum”.  The railway was opened in 1884 and would have dug out the cutting from the land on which the ground stood when Hearts played Hibs there on 28 April 1878.

MAYFIELD PARK, NEWINGTON

The other ground was described as Mayfield Park, Newington.  I think that is in the area marked on your map as “East Craigmillar Park”.  Today I think it might be the land on the right off what is today East Suffolk Road and where it meets Crawfurd Road.

I may have confused things further!  Please let me know what you think and what you find out.

Edited by bluedragon

1 hour ago, bluedragon said:

I have confused things. Sorry!

POWBURN

Going back to your map.  The railway crosses east to west the road running south that becomes “Savile Ter.”  I believe the football ground stood on the land between “Mentone Terr” and the building described as “Female Blind Asylum”.  The railway was opened in 1884 and would have dug out the cutting from the land on which the ground stood when Hearts played Hibs there on 28 April 1878.

MAYFIELD PARK, NEWINGTON

The other ground was described as Mayfield Park, Newington.  I think that is in the area marked on your map as “East Craigmillar Park”.  Today I think it might be the land on the right off what is today East Suffolk Road and where it meets Crawfurd Road.

I may have confused things further!  Please let me know what you think and what you find out.

That sounds about right, didn't take into account how old they were, you tend to assume the railway was there first! I'm doing a bit of research into the old grounds but haven't got to Edinburgh yet, just had a mental note based on what I've read before. I'm sure I have notes saved somewhere! It's definitely something that I need to look at properly then I'll try and make a new post once I eventually get it all sorted

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2023 at 01:03, TxRover said:

It does beg the rather improbable question of is there any club with a decent length history who has never had an alternate home field?

Palmerston Park has been the only 'home' of Queen of the South since the club was formed in 1919. Still the same ground in the same place.

However, 2 asterisks. We had to play our home UEFA Cup tie v Nordsjaelland in 2008 at Airdrie as Palmerston wasnt deemed suitable for European requirements. And after floodlights failed on two occasions trying to play Ross County in a midweek league match in 2012, the SFL (as it was then) ordered the 3rd time that the game be played at neutral Stirling. So we've played two individual home games on borrowed grounds for football authority reasons but we've never had another official home ground.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Glasgow Perthshire had 4 grounds between 1890 and 1915 before moving to Keppoch Park:

Kelvinside Park (1) - under the old Shakespeare Street Primary School

Kelvinside Park (2) - under Maryhill Shopping Centre

Nelson Park - somewhere on Bilsland Drive

Balmore Park - corner of Bilsland Drive and Balmore Road

Then of course the ground problems at Keppoch in the 80s and 90s meant that they played a number of home fixtures away.  Given that there were a plethora of local cup competitions and finals played pre-WW1 at neutral grounds such as Saracen Park, Hawthorn Park, Kelvindale Park, Lochburn Park etc I'd guess that the number of their fixtures versus the likes of Maryhill or Ashfield could well be in double figures.

Benburb also seemed to rattle through the grounds in the early 20th century but I don't have a list to hand.

5 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Glasgow Perthshire had 4 grounds between 1890 and 1915 before moving to Keppoch Park:

Kelvinside Park (1) - under the old Shakespeare Street Primary School

Kelvinside Park (2) - under Maryhill Shopping Centre

Nelson Park - somewhere on Bilsland Drive

Balmore Park - corner of Bilsland Drive and Balmore Road

Then of course the ground problems at Keppoch in the 80s and 90s meant that they played a number of home fixtures away.  Given that there were a plethora of local cup competitions and finals played pre-WW1 at neutral grounds such as Saracen Park, Hawthorn Park, Kelvindale Park, Lochburn Park etc I'd guess that the number of their fixtures versus the likes of Maryhill or Ashfield could well be in double figures.

Benburb also seemed to rattle through the grounds in the early 20th century but I don't have a list to hand.

The Benburb entry in the Scottish Football Historical Archive club database has the following grounds:

Langlands Park
Hibernian Park
Benburb Park -1898
Govandale 1900-1911
PSA Athletic Ground 1911-1913
Gymnasium Park 1913-1924
Moore Park (groundshare with St. Anthony's) 1924-1925
Tinto Park 1925-2014

Edited by GNU_Linux

On 06/03/2023 at 09:55, bluedragon said:

Sure I read before that Morton are the SPFL club who have played the longest at one ground. Forfar have only had Station Park as a home, although we did use Den's Park for a game against Rangers in the 80s when the big terracing behind the goals was being built, not sure if we've ever used another ground as a home ground as a one off.

Both Brechin and Cove have used Station Park as a home ground for competitive fixtures fairly recently, which resulted in the unusual scenario of Queen of the South winning the title at the same ground as they had won their previous championship at, but against different opposition.

20 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Sure I read before that Morton are the SPFL club who have played the longest at one ground. Forfar have only had Station Park as a home, although we did use Den's Park for a game against Rangers in the 80s when the big terracing behind the goals was being built, not sure if we've ever used another ground as a home ground as a one off.

Both Brechin and Cove have used Station Park as a home ground for competitive fixtures fairly recently, which resulted in the unusual scenario of Queen of the South winning the title at the same ground as they had won their previous championship at, but against different opposition.

BOTH of our previous championships. 

We are 104 years old. Since entering the SPFL in the 1920's we have won the 2nd Division title 3 times: 1951, 2002 and 2013. All three of them were clinched at Station Park. Even when we werent sharing a division with Forfar we found a way to win the league there! 

We had no chance of winning the league this season, no Forfar! 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

BOTH of our previous championships. 

We are 104 years old. Since entering the SPFL in the 1920's we have won the 2nd Division title 3 times: 1951, 2002 and 2013. All three of them were clinched at Station Park. Even when we werent sharing a division with Forfar we found a way to win the league there! 

We had no chance of winning the league this season, no Forfar! 

Ha ha, that's a great stat. You'll be hoping we get promoted this season!

• 4 months later...
On 09/03/2023 at 07:25, RedEd said:

I think they played some matches at Somerset Park just after WWII as Cappielow was still requisitioned.

I can't find any record of this.

In season 48-49 we had to move a League Cup game against St. Mirren to Boghead, a Scottish Cup tie against Clyde to Ibrox and a league game against Dundee to Love Street. In all cases it was due to the state of the pitch.

We've played (old) Rangers at Cappielow, Ibrox, Celtic Park, St. Mirren Park and Hampden. Firhill too, in the final of the 1914 War Fund Shield.

We've met Aberdeen at Cappielow, Pittodrie, Hampden, Easter Road and Dens Park.

We've played Ayr in league games at Fir Park, Douglas Park, New Douglas Park, Broadwood, Somerset Park and (slightly guessing this one) Cliftonhill.

Must be close to a record for us as there can't be many teams we've played at all 5 grounds that I'm aware that we've called home.

We did also play them at a neutral site, but that was also Fir Park.

ETA we've also played Rangers at Ibrox, Douglas Park, New Douglas Park, Fir Park, Broadwood and Firhill.

Edited by Todd_is_God

On 14/04/2021 at 20:29, TheScarf said:

We’ve never played Hibs at Hampden. Just remembered we’ve played Hearts at TCS, Pittodrie, Tynecastle, Easter Road and Hampden.

Played Falkirk at Brockville, Ochilview, TFS, TCS, Hampden.