Fixture at the Most different venues.

On 14/04/2021 at 15:50, TheScarf said:

Trying to think if we've played a team at more than 3 different venues in competitive games.

East Fife the only one I think?  Old and New Bayview, Telford Street and TCS.

Dundee, at 5.

Dens, TCS, Pittodrie, McDiarmid (2009 Challenge Cup final) and Hampden (2003 Scottish Cup semi-final). 

I've got data on all national competitions since Scottish football began (including stuff like the Summer Cup, Dryborough Cup and Anglo-Scottish Cup), and this includes data on venues for most of these matches, the main exception being for certain clubs in the Victorian era. It's always possible I've missed little nuances here and there, like games being moved for a one-off reason, but hopefully there haven't been too many of those.

It seems like the magic number here is 9 different venues, which covers a number of different fixtures:

Clyde v Dundee

3 x Clyde home grounds - Barrowfield, Shawfield, Broadwood
2 x Dundee home grounds - Carolina Port, Dens Park
2 x temporary Clyde home grounds - Firhill
3 x neutral venues - Hampden, Ibrox, Easter Road

Dumbarton v Rangers

3 x Dumbarton home grounds - Meadow Park, Boghead, Dumbarton Football Stadium
4 x Rangers home grounds - Flesher's Haugh, Kinning Park, First Ibrox, Ibrox
2 x neutral venues - Old Cathkin Park, Hampden

Hearts v Hibs

4 x Hearts home grounds - The Meadows, Powderhall, Old Tynecastle, Tynecastle
2 x Hibs home grounds - Hibernian Park, Easter Road
3 x neutral venues - Logie Green, Ibrox, Hampden
(note - there are two Hibs home games in 1877 and 1879 for which I have no venue information)

Hearts v St Mirren

2 x Hearts home grounds - Merchiston Park, Tynecastle
3 x St Mirren home grounds - Westmarch, Love Street, St Mirren Park
4 x neutral venues - Cathkin Park, Hampden, Ibrox, Fir Park

Leith Athletic v St Bernard's

3 x both teams' home grounds - Old Logie Green, Logie Green, Powderhall
4 x Leith home grounds - Beechwood Park, Chancelot Park, Marine Gardens, Old Meadowbank
1 x St Bernard's home ground - Royal Gymnasium
1 x neutral venue - Easter Road

Partick Thistle v Queen's Park

4 x Partick Thistle home grounds - Muir Park, Inchview, Meadowside, Firhill
3 x Queen's Park home grounds - First Hampden, Cathkin Park, Hampden
2 x temporary Queen's Park home grounds - Old Cathkin Park, Excelsior Stadium

One of the Hibs v Hearts games in the 1870s was at IIRC a ground called "Mayfield". This description can cover a biggish area in the Dalkeith Road/Cameron Toll/Mayfield Gardens/Mayfield Road locality although my football history buff City supporting chum reckons Mayfield was in the Prestonfield Avenue area (Echo Bank as was)

Anyway apparently the Hibs fans were so incensed at the ref's performance that they chased him from Mayfield to the Old Town.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2021 at 15:27, craigkillie said:

I've got data on all national competitions since Scottish football began (including stuff like the Summer Cup, Dryborough Cup and Anglo-Scottish Cup), and this includes data on venues for most of these matches, the main exception being for certain clubs in the Victorian era. It's always possible I've missed little nuances here and there, like games being moved for a one-off reason, but hopefully there haven't been too many of those.

It seems like the magic number here is 9 different venues, which covers a number of different fixtures:

Clyde v Dundee

3 x Clyde home grounds - Barrowfield, Shawfield, Broadwood
2 x Dundee home grounds - Carolina Port, Dens Park
2 x temporary Clyde home grounds - Firhill
3 x neutral venues - Hampden, Ibrox, Easter Road

Clyde hosted Dundee at Celtic Park in February 1915 too. Most of our home fixtures from the end of October were held there due to a fire damaging the stand at Shawfield. Ibrox, Firhill and Hampden were also used if Celtic had a home game.

1 hour ago, CK said:

Clyde hosted Dundee at Celtic Park in February 1915 too. Most of our home fixtures from the end of October were held there due to a fire damaging the stand at Shawfield. Ibrox, Firhill and Hampden were also used if Celtic had a home game.

Thanks - this is incredibly useful to know, it will allow me to update my records.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2021 at 15:27, craigkillie said:

Hearts v St Mirren

2 x Hearts home grounds - Merchiston Park, Tynecastle
3 x St Mirren home grounds - Westmarch, Love Street, St Mirren Park
4 x neutral venues - Cathkin Park, Hampden, Ibrox, Fir Park

On 30/04/2021 at 15:30, CK said:

St Mirren v Hearts was at Easter Road in 1920-21.

Puts that matchup onto 10 also.

On 14/04/2021 at 15:50, TheScarf said:

Trying to think if we've played a team at more than 3 different venues in competitive games.

East Fife the only one I think?  Old and New Bayview, Telford Street and TCS.

Pars at four: East End, TCS, Pittodrie and Hampden.

On 20/04/2021 at 22:03, The Master said:

Dundee, at 5.

Dens, TCS, Pittodrie, McDiarmid (2009 Challenge Cup final) and Hampden (2003 Scottish Cup semi-final). 

Make that 6. There was a challenge cup game at Telford Street back in the 94/95 season.

• 1 year later...
On 02/03/2021 at 16:11, latapythelegend said:

There will no doubt be some crazy ones from the late 19th/early 20th century. 

In terms, of individual fixtures, According to the better meddle archive (http://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/byteam/results.php?opponents=East Stirlingshire) Falkirk have played East Stirling competitively at:

Falkirk Stadium, Firs Park, Brockville, Ochilview, Broadwood, Merchiston Park, Victoria Park (Camelon) and supposedly a park at Loch 16 in Camelon.

Lock 16 on the Forth canal, part of the Camelon House curtilage, and the home of Tayavalla F.C., used for the Stirlingshire Cup finals, in the 1880s.  Seems that Tayavalla (at least at the end) was a feeder for the Shire.

On 27/02/2023 at 12:59, Sergeant Wilson said:

Bellshill have had 5 different home parks in my time watching non-league football. 

On 27/02/2023 at 14:03, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Bellshill v Peasy at 7 or 8 potentially. Can't find an easy way to check online

I've definitely seen Petershill v Bellshill at both old and new Petershill Parks, I'm sure we've also played them at Ashfield while the new ground was being built.

I've saw the reverse fixture at new and old Brandon Parks, the Matt Busby, Rockburn Park and when they were sharing with Vale of Clyde at Fullarton Park.

Edit: Confirmed we hosted them at Saracen Park twice in 2006-7.

In August 2007 our sectional tie was moved from New Brandon Park to Thorniewood's Robertson Park.

Edit again: Done a bit more digging, we've also hosted Bellshill at Atlas Park in 1907, 1911, 1913 & 1914. We hosted them at Cathkin Park in 1915-16 as our new ground was being built, and Perthshire's Balmore Park the following season as it still wasn't ready. We finally did host them at Hawthorn Park after it was much delayed and opened in 1918.

Can't find any record of cup ties at neutral venues.

Petershill v Bellshill at 7 venues

Bellshill v Petershill at 6.

Edited by peasy23

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

I've definitely seen Petershill v Bellshill at both old and new Petershill Parks, I'm sure we've also played them at Ashfield while the new ground was being built.

I've saw the reverse fixture at new and old Brandon Parks, the Matt Busby, Rockburn Park and when they were sharing with Vale of Clyde at Fullarton Park.

Edit: Confirmed we hosted them at Saracen Park twice in 2006-7.

In August 2007 our sectional tie was moved from New Brandon Park to Thorniewood's Robertson Park.

Edit again: Done a bit more digging, we've also hosted Bellshill at Arrol Park in 1907, 1911, 1913 & 1914. We hosted them at Cathkin Park in 1915-16 as our new ground was being built, and Perthshire's Balmore Park the following season as it still wasn't ready. We finally did host them at Hawthorn Park after it was much delayed and opened in 1918.

Can't find any record of cup ties at neutral venues.

Petershill v Bellshill at 7 venues

Bellshill v Petershill at 6.

Perhaps the peripatetic existence of early junior clubs will skew it a bit but thirteen is an excellent target to try and beat

2 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Perhaps the peripatetic existence of early junior clubs will skew it a bit but thirteen is an excellent target to try and beat

There are definitely a couple of sliding doors moments for us regarding grounds. Atlas Park was right next to the Atlas railway works, and they took over the land to build a munitions factory in 1915. Hawthorn Park was supposedly a fine ground, but the council took over that land to expand the housing stock on Hawthorn Street. 

25 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

There are definitely a couple of sliding doors moments for us regarding grounds. Atlas Park was right next to the Atlas railway works, and they took over the land to build a munitions factory in 1915. Hawthorn Park was supposedly a fine ground, but the council took over that land to expand the housing stock on Hawthorn Street. 

Sounds like an excellent study. The Springburn Story tells the excellent railway history of that park of the world. A football history would be fascinating *takes off anorak*

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

It does beg the rather improbable question of is there any club with a decent length history who has never had an alternate home field?

Dundee United. They started in 1909 at Clepington Park which I’m sure was renamed Tannadice Park. Arbroath at Gayfield since 1880, so all but their first 2 years.