Ian St John has died

I have the the Saint's book and read some articles about him

1 )  The only player I know of who mentions a game nearly being " thrown " in Scotland

2 )  He was a very good boxer ( as shown in the YT clip )

3 )  One of the reasons he did not get more Scotland caps was he fell out withe the SFA et al

4 )  IIRC he fell out with Shankly at the end of his Liverpool career

20 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

4 )  IIRC he fell out with Shankly at the end of his Liverpool career

Seems so - Shankly dropped him at the end of his LFC career without a word. found out when he saw the team sheet on matchday

https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/1161

He had the respect of Everton fans as well genuine nice guy - enjoyed this Ian St John at Bellfield before Merseyside FA Cup Final

Never thought I'd say this, but this thread's made me miss the pair of them. They certainly weren't any worse than the current generation of pundits.

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I used to really enjoy the 'soccer' camps he put on in the summer. 

Celebrated Hewitt's goal v Real Madrid as loudly as any Dandy too 🤣

I attended the 1985,1986 and 1987 soccer camps at the University Playing Fields. Of what I can recall, which granted isn't much, he use to swan in on the last day of the week. I remember Maurice Setters (who also died recently) and ex Aberdeen full back (I think) Jim White being coaches at the camps. 

I use to like Saint & Greavsie and it's International football round up was second to none on British terrestrial TV at the time (I don't think Transworld Sport, which would have different connotations now, covered football much). 

I just realised though that Saint played in apartheid South Africa in the early 1970s which has sullied his reputation for me. Edit.. I must read his autobiography, there's a chapter on going to Cape Town. I might be being harsh on The Saint without knowing any of the reasons why he played there at that time. 

He also did a bungee jump at Euro92 which was quite impressive... 

Edited by Bogbrush1903