Ian St John has died

53 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Used to quite like St and Greavsie back in the day whilst simultaneously detesting Greavsie. 

This was the episode for you then...

(includes some classic old fitba footage, and adverts)

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

He used to joke about being an Accies fan because Ian St John was from Motherwell so not all bad even if some of the Scottish goalie patter grated a bit at times. Barnet became my favourite English club after he compared the Accies to them on Saint & Greavsie.

I think it also grew out of a long running joke after John Lambie said he would remain celibate until Accies won a game.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Celebrated Hewitt's goal v Real Madrid as loudly as any Dandy too 🤣

Aye he claimed Aberdeen as being his Scottish team in the 80s. Remember hearing him celebrate into the mic when they scored v Rangers at Hampden too.

I'm sure he'd have ditched them pronto in the 90s though!

Edited by Lurkst

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Probably Saint & Greavsie, but only because their show had those wee segments where they'd visit a small club for some reason, or they'd visit Trinidad because it looked like they might qualify for the World Cup for the first time, and Jimmy Greaves would have the opportunity to black up, stick on a dreadlock wig, and IRIE! all over the place.

It can't be stressed enough how dire their banter was, though. Anyone complaining about Off The Ball should watch a few tapes of their studio segments.

"Ha ha ha! Scottish goalkeepers, am I right Greavsie! Ha ha ha!"

Were you right Greavsie, yes you were ! Try watching clowns like Alan Rough and Stewart Kennedy in the 70's, never mind Frank Harvey and whichever cat like genius was in goal for us at Wmbley in 1955.  Two things Jimmy Greaves was top notch at: goalscoring and his opinion of Scottish keepers .

2 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Were you right Greavsie, yes you were ! Try watching clowns like Alan Rough and Stewart Kennedy in the 70's, never mind Frank Harvey and whichever cat like genius was in goal for us at Wmbley in 1955.  Two things Jimmy Greaves was top notch at: goalscoring and his opinion of Scottish keepers .

Frank Haffey would have done a better job, imho.

2 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Actually Frank Harvey was a decent keeper (Johnstone Burgh 1924-32 , 68 goals cocedect, 3 clean sheets). It is of course Frank Hapless from Wembley 1961.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

I didn't realise he used to play for Motherwell, I thought he'd spent all his career in England. He even went onto manage them, again something I was totally unaware of until now.

I'm too young (heh, it's not often I get to say that these days) to remember him playing, probably the biggest memory of the guy was on television. Not that I watched much of it, his sidekick  cockney muppet was just too annoying.

I knew him from Saint & Greavsie when I was a wee guy. I didn't find Greavsie too bad back then, but he would definitely grate on my nerves now. 

Remember a lovely article about him in the Shoot magazine - where he talked about passing a Church in Liverpool which on the board outside proclaimed "Jesus Saves" below which someone had scrawled "...........and St John scored the rebound".

Wonderful, player, manager, pundit and presenter and a lad who never forgot his roots - Motherwell through and through RIP Sinjy.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

He used to joke about being an Accies fan because Ian St John was from Motherwell so not all bad even if some of the Scottish goalie patter grated a bit at times. Barnet became my favourite English club after he compared the Accies to them on Saint & Greavsie.

And we love you too! We even have a player in common in Hakeem Odoffin.

I remember Greavsie once making a ‘Typical Scottish keepers’ comment once when watching an excerpt of a Celtic game. Then Saint pointed out that Peter Latchford was actually English.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Will always remember Ian St John from the footage of him as a World Cup panellist becoming increasingly demented as a clod hopping Scotland tried and failed to score against a Uruquay team which played with 10 men for 89 minutes.  A true, true Scot !

He was indeed one of us...

39 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Remember a lovely article about him in the Shoot magazine - where he talked about passing a Church in Liverpool which on the board outside proclaimed "Jesus Saves" below which someone had scrawled "...........and St John scored the rebound".

Wonderful, player, manager, pundit and presenter and a lad who never forgot his roots - Motherwell through and through RIP Sinjy.

Then there was the one that said "What shall ye do when the Son of God shall lead His forces against ye?" 

To which the reply was "Move St John to Inside Left" 

RIP 

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Accies connection came after a comment he made. He said "You'll Never Walk Alone" not sure the context then added " unless you support Hamilton Academicals". Accies then got in touch and invited him to come up to visit. I think they hoped he'd come up for a game but filming commitments made that impossible so they came up in midweek. This was around 1984/85. The next season we won the First Division so got a mention on the show now and then and he also mentioned us in his Shoot letters page. Our captain at the time, Alex Hamill, even made an appearance on a Michael Parkinson show when Jimmy Greaves was a guest to present him with something from the club.

I doubt Ian St John ever mocked Scottish goalkeepers especially as the most prominent one during the show's run was Jim Leighton, who always showed up well for Scotland. Always liked Ian, a sad day but a man who had a great life.

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Used to quite like St and Greavsie back in the day whilst simultaneously detesting Greavsie. 

I quite liked Greavsie

He was quite humbled after visiting Hamilton Accies and recognising their love of the game and all the work they put in. ( He got an invite after making fun of them )

He met some of the fans at the Celtic Nottingham Forest game

He was proud he knew whereabouts in Scotland Alan Gilzean came from

Anyway RIP Ian St John

19 minutes ago, Owsley said:

The Accies connection came after a comment he made. He said "You'll Never Walk Alone" not sure the context then added " unless you support Hamilton Academicals". Accies then got in touch and invited him to come up to visit. I think they hoped he'd come up for a game but filming commitments made that impossible so they came up in midweek. This was around 1984/85. The next season we won the First Division so got a mention on the show now and then and he also mentioned us in his Shoot letters page. Our captain at the time, Alex Hamill, even made an appearance on a Michael Parkinson show when Jimmy Greaves was a guest to present him with something from the club.

I doubt Ian St John ever mocked Scottish goalkeepers especially as the most prominent one during the show's run was Jim Leighton, who always showed up well for Scotland. Always liked Ian, a sad day but a man who had a great life.

We did have some good goalies back in the sixties ; Bill Brown , " the flying pig " , etc

I CANNOT believe you did not mention your cup victory over the embryonic Sevco , which iirc occurred when Greaves was already a fan and definitely got a mention

Edited by ewan14

11 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

He was quite humbled after visiting Hamilton Accies and recognising their love of the game and all the work they put in. ( He got an invite after making fun of them )

I remember watching him visit Accies.

Still a c**t though.