Ian St John has died

image.png.570cd932c5da77b717910f414872072f.png

Edit:
Former Liverpool and Scotland forward Ian St John has died at the age of 82 after illness.

Liverpool confirmed the news with a statement from his family.

St John played 425 games for Bill Shankly's Anfield side, scoring 118 goals, in a decade's service after joining from hometown team Motherwell in 1961 for a club record £37,500.

He won two top-flight titles and scored the decisive goal as Liverpool lifted their first FA Cup in 1965.

The St John family's statement said: "It is with a heavy heart that we have to inform you that after a long illness we have lost a husband, father and grandfather.

"He passed away peacefully with his family at his bedside. We would like to thank all the staff at Arrowe Park Hospital for their hard work and dedication during these very difficult times."

Premier League champions Liverpool are "deeply saddened" by the loss of a "true Anfield legend".

A Scotland international by age 20, St John netted nine times in 20 caps.

After leaving Liverpool he had shorts spells with South African sides Hellenic and Cape Town City either side of a season with Coventry City, before ending his playing days at Tranmere Rovers.

He returned to Motherwell as manager in 1973, then moved on to Portsmouth before embarking on a successful career as a TV pundit, teaming up with former England striker Jimmy Greaves to front the hugely popular 'Saint and Greavsie' show which ran until 1992.

Obviously as  a Motherwell fan I'm aware of his history there, but I actually knew about him first through Saint And Greavsie, before I became a Well fan.  I'm sure many of you have some great memories of him

Rest in peace, Saint 

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I didn't realise he used to play for Motherwell, I thought he'd spent all his career in England. He even went onto manage them, again something I was totally unaware of until now.

I'm too young (heh, it's not often I get to say that these days) to remember him playing, probably the biggest memory of the guy was on television. Not that I watched much of it, his sidekick  cockney muppet was just too annoying.

Should maybe double check but pretty sure it was the Ian St John money that helped pay for Motherwell's main stand. Before my time but I do remember that "Ancell's babes" were still talked about a lot where Motherwell concerned in the 70s and Ian St John was very much viewed as a legendary figure in a Motherwell context when he became their manager. Sad to see him go. Greatly preferred the Saint & Greavsie approach to covering football to what followed.

https://footballpink.net/2019-1-30-ancells-babes-steelmen-sinners-and-the-saint/

Edited by LongTimeLurker

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Should maybe double check but pretty sure it was the Ian St John money that helped pay for Motherwell's main stand.

Yes, that's absolutely right... from the official site:
"In 1961, St John signed for Liverpool for £37,500, then the Anfield side’s record transfer fee paid. That sale would help finance the reconstruction of the main stand at Fir Park."

I know it was cringe-inducing television of the highest order, but I quite enjoyed Saint & Greavsie.

Then again, I was a young child at the time, so perhaps I was the target audience.

26 minutes ago, Ric said:

I didn't realise he used to play for Motherwell, I thought he'd spent all his career in England. He even went onto manage them, again something I was totally unaware of until now.

I'm too young (heh, it's not often I get to say that these days) to remember him playing, probably the biggest memory of the guy was on television. Not that I watched much of it, his sidekick  cockney muppet was just too annoying.

I remember him playing, not in Scotland though, although I knew he had played for Motherwell. First really came to my attention by scoring the winning goal in the 1965 FA Cup Final.

Should I kick off the poll, which is/was better, Saint and Greavsie or Off the Ball. At least with the former there was only one painfully annoying windbag.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

I remember him playing...

Aye.. but you are as old as Methusila himself! ;)

Edited by Ric

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Should I kick off the poll, which is/was better, Saint and Greavsie or Off the Ball. At least with the former there was only one painfully annoying windbag.

Probably Saint & Greavsie, but only because their show had those wee segments where they'd visit a small club for some reason, or they'd visit Trinidad because it looked like they might qualify for the World Cup for the first time, and Jimmy Greaves would have the opportunity to black up, stick on a dreadlock wig, and IRIE! all over the place.

It can't be stressed enough how dire their banter was, though. Anyone complaining about Off The Ball should watch a few tapes of their studio segments.

"Ha ha ha! Scottish goalkeepers, am I right Greavsie! Ha ha ha!"

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

...or they'd visit Trinidad because it looked like they might qualify for the World Cup for the first time, and Jimmy Greaves would have the opportunity to black up, stick on a dreadlock wig, and IRIE! all over the place.

:lol:

Well done, I actually laughed out loud at the thought of that, as (given the time) it would absolutely be on brand for English media to do that. Next, you'll be telling me that he did actually do that!

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

:lol:

Well done, I actually laughed out loud at the thought of that, as (given the time) it would absolutely be on brand for English media to do that. Next, you'll be telling me that he did actually do that!

I'm starting to think I dreamed it myself.

That did happen, didn't it?

Edit: must have been in November 1989, as that's when Trinidad played the US in their final World Cup qualifier and lost 1-0 at home. If it had stayed 0-0, they'd have qualified for the first time instead of the Americans, which was why S&G had the segment in the run-up to the game. TBF, I seem to remember their coverage of the World Cup qualifiers from around the world being quite good. That was back in the days when you had to make a real effort to find out what was going on in them. I don't think I'd have known anything about how close Trinidad came if I hadn't seen that episode.

Edited by BFTD

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm starting to think I dreamed it myself.

That did happen, didn't it?

Did it? Oh, now, I think a quick check on YouTube is necessary. Could it be a Spitting Image sketch instead?

Just now, Ric said:

Did it? Oh, now, I think a quick check on YouTube is necessary. Could it be a Spitting Image sketch instead?

I've already Googled it and found nothing so far. I swear to God it was a real thing.

They probably spoofed it on Spitting Image as, even at the time, it seemed really dodgy.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Used to quite like St and Greavsie back in the day whilst simultaneously detesting Greavsie. 

He used to joke about being an Accies fan because Ian St John was from Motherwell so not all bad even if some of the Scottish goalie patter grated a bit at times. Barnet became my favourite English club after he compared the Accies to them on Saint & Greavsie.