Next Ayr United manager

I don’t care how we play, as long as it is effective and we get a stint in the top league while I’m still breathing.

The beautiful football that has been played under McCall over recent years - and at times it was sublime - still didn’t have the fans rolling in.

A season with Killie in the league and a season or two in the top flight will.

JOB 1: stay up
JOB 2: get promotion

Simples

Hopkin will make changes to how the club is run, the players will eat some shite vegan diet together, but ultimately the football will be the same old shite.

Terrible appointment. It's just a shame there's no opportunity for him to take McLean, McGinty, Ledger, Blues, Nesbitt, Orsi and more with him before the end of the season.

He's had one good stint as a manager and it was at a Livingston side who haven't exactly suffered since he left.

25 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I've also said he would not be my first pick but wither it was Martindale who was the brains or not he was still in charge of a team that won back to back promotions to the top league

Similar situation to us with the, "was it Stewart or was it McCall" ?

You could look at Ayr prior to Stewarts arrival and also look at Partick currently and easily draw the conclusion that McCall is pretty useless and that it was all the work of Sandy Stewart who changed the playing style and brought us relative success.

Of course, it's not as simple as that and i'm sure the same can be said for Hopkin.

Irrespective, we can discuss and surmise on here all day (and we probably will) but ultimately the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Similar situation to us with the, "was it Stewart or was it McCall" ?
You could look at Ayr prior to Stewarts arrival and also look at Partick currently and easily draw the conclusion that McCall is pretty useless and that it was all the work of Sandy Stewart who changed the playing style and brought us relative success.
Of course, it's not as simple as that and i'm sure the same can be said for Hopkin.
Irrespective, we can discuss and surmise on here all day (and we probably will) but ultimately the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.
Maybe his main skill is not the coaching or the scouting but the leadership and organizational skills, like most successful organisations there is a team in the background who keep the machine running , Hopkin will be the face of that team but he needs to bring in the correct support staff, whatever happens hes the man now let's get behind him.

5 minutes ago, #Gary said:

Hopkin will make changes to how the club is run, the players will eat some shite vegan diet together, but ultimately the football will be the same old shite.

Terrible appointment. It's just a shame there's no opportunity for him to take McLean, McGinty, Ledger, Blues, Nesbitt, Orsi and more with him before the end of the season.

He's had one good stint as a manager and it was at a Livingston side who haven't exactly suffered since he left.

What's your Beef ?

Come on now, there's a lot more at steak than that......

Very underwhelming appointment but at the same time not surprising. Doesn't bode well if Smith was amazed at the calibre of candidates applying and we've ended up with Hopkin.
Wonder if it was Hopkin leaking to the press despite Smith trying to keep lips sealed

4 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

Very underwhelming appointment but at the same time not surprising. Doesn't bode well if Smith was amazed at the calibre of candidates applying and we've ended up with Hopkin.
Wonder if it was Hopkin leaking to the press despite Smith trying to keep lips sealed

90% of the others applicants that Smith might have been talking about would probably have been looking for silly amounts of money to manage Ayr Utd, as in wages and player budgets.  The other 10% would be more realistic of what we could afford to bring in as a club.

14 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

I would have thought that Scott Burns will have had an idea who applied and contacted them. The article said the unsuccessful applicants had been notified, he probably scored them off one by one.

IF he is the right man then there's no reason why 4th is out of the question this season, this squad is definitely capable if motivated and utilised properly. 

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Have we really just appointed the guy who built the Morton team we watched on Saturday?  

That would be the same Morton team that won at Inverness the night before last. The last time we won there was January 2003. 

That would be the same Morton team that won at Inverness the night before last. The last time we won there was January 2003. 
And the same Morton team to get their first win in 11 games. I don't think beating a shite ICT side is worth writing home about tbh.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

A result that almost certainly wouldn't have been achieved under Hopkin (same goes for our win at Dunfermline in McElhone's first match in charge).

Quite a bit of cherry picking results from various teams going on here.

Taking ourselves as an example, we've just taken 4 points out of the last 6 from 2 away games where we've played pretty decent, so does that mean Kerr should have been kept ? or does it mean that Davie White is the Ayrshire Mourinho or is it just luck ??

The bottom line is that all Managers have success and failure, some from week to week, some from club to club, some to country to country.

There really are so many variables such as playing staff, style of play, budgets, coaching staff, individuals attitudes, weather, pitch conditions etc, etc.

What works at one club won't automatically work at another and sometimes you have to change the style to suit the players, as opposed to changing all the players to suit a style, anyway, I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough but in the meantime I think everyone that calls themselves an Ayr fan should get right behind David Hopkin, his coaches and of course the team.