Next Ayr United manager

After speaking to [mention=75478]Ayr23[/mention] I wonder if the slight delay from finalising everything from Mon/Tue to announcing Thur may be down to compensation with another club being ironed out...

Robbo levels of teasing from you.

After speaking to [mention=75478]Ayr23[/mention] I wonder if the slight delay from finalising everything from Mon/Tue to announcing Thur may be down to compensation with another club being ironed out...

Going by Smith's interview last night, it sounds like there's finer details to sort out. Compensation? Coaches? Might it be Petrie where he's had to give a notice to his current job? Danny Lennon at Clyde? An ex manager who has media duties? All very interesting. If it was a completely unemployed manager, I think it would have been announced by now.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Robbo levels of teasing from you.

:lol: unfortunately not, just seems a bit of a longer drawn out process for an out of work manager. Saying that, these are different times with COVID so that may well be the delay.

It’s definitely interesting that Smith says the deal isn’t done which would lead you to think that compensation is being agreed or maybe they are getting contracts tied up for a coaching staff as well.

But I’m not letting myself get carried away. I’ve prepared myself for Hopkin getting the job so if it’s anyone else I’ll maybe be pleasantly surprised.

[emoji38] unfortunately not, just seems a bit of a longer drawn out process for an out of work manager. Saying that, these are different times with COVID so that may well be the delay.
I understand about the testing element, and how the earliest he could meet the team was Thursday. But I don't think that's the reason why it hasn't been announced going by that interview. I think he'd just have came out and said that if that was the case. This time tomorrow hopefully we'll know.

It’s definitely interesting that Smith says the deal isn’t done which would lead you to think that compensation is being agreed or maybe they are getting contracts tied up for a coaching staff as well.

But I’m not letting myself get carried away. I’ve prepared myself for Hopkin getting the job so if it’s anyone else I’ll maybe be pleasantly surprised.
Same. In my head it's Hopkin or McIntyre. But would love a positive curveball tomorrow. A pleasant surprise.

I don't know why MacPherson gets such a hard time. He done brilliantly with St Mirren (deployed a mind numbing style of football in the top flight though). He relegated QoS, but were they not in a dreadful position (at least off the pitch?) when he took over? @Mr X , @Skyline Drifter & @19QOS19

...And I had no recollection of his Queen's Park spell until I just Google'd him there. But he got them promoted there and kept them there for 2 seasons despite still being amateur.

Just a bit unfashionable rather than being pish or am I missing something?

Edited by Ludo*1

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't know why MacPherson gets such a hard time. He done brilliantly with St Mirren (deployed a mind numbing style of football in the top flight though). He relegated QoS, but were they not in a dreadful position (at least off the pitch?) when he took over? @Mr X , @Skyline Drifter & @19QOS19

...And I had no recollection of his Queen's Park spell until I just Google'd him there. But he got them promoted there and kept them there for 2 seasons despite still being amateur.

Not sure we care - just a c*nt of a man

Just now, bazka6 said:

Does McIntyre even qualify as a Bona fide DKB? He didn’t actually play that many games for them and ultimately spent most of his career elsewhere, Dundee United in particular. 

He was in their Scottish Cup winning team of 1997 so I’d say so. 

1 minute ago, bazka6 said:

Not sure we care - just a c*nt of a man

Completely forgot the Killie link! I've just associated him with St Mirren for the past decade or so! :lol: Fair enough.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He hates Ayr United apparently.

11 hours ago, rb123! said:

I'll be willing to give Hopkin the benefit of the doubt, he did well with Livingston and up until he left Morton he actually had them in the midfield of the table. As others have said he is almost on a last chance saloon after doubters questioning his previous two spells at Bradford (i think) and Morton.

We had two wins when he left in December and were tanking down the table.

Left out the other stuff for space reasons but Ayr could do worse than hiring him, though frankly they could probably do better as well. It's difficult to judge his period with us: last season we were scoring/shipping a lot of goals and he got the best out of a few players with talent who didn't show it elsewhere. Nicky Cadden was simply told to drive low crosses into the box and was ripping teams apart with it and got a move south of the border. McHugh was also much more productive in front of goal with that service. 

On the other hand, we had a truly dismal run in autumn/winter when Hopkin clearly panicked about the defence conceding too many goals and played with the hand brake on for weeks on end. He was doing the exact same this season before he left, which is when the 'long ball football' criticism starts to hit home. Playing 5-4-1 and shelling the ball up the park to nobody was not the way forward and his departure has been a blessing in disguise. We would not have shown even the limited ambition to win last night at Inverness had he still been in charge. 

Transfers were very patchy with some absolute shockers like Henk van Scheik who played one game against you before being literally paid to f**k off again, and the likes of Cameron Blues who should have followed him immediately out of the door. Last summer's hoarding of every useless sand-dancer in the country was beyond ridiculous, and he will responsible to a large degree if that team goes down this season. But he would probably get a fair bit more from the squad already assembled than a haddy like Kerr. 

I don't know why MacPherson gets such a hard time. He done brilliantly with St Mirren (deployed a mind numbing style of football in the top flight though). He relegated QoS, but were they not in a dreadful position (at least off the pitch?) when he took over? [mention=1702]Mr X[/mention] , [mention=106]Skyline Drifter[/mention] & [mention=12169]19QOS19[/mention]

I'm sure we ran with a squad of 19 the season he took charge and it had a lot of younger players as well. Though those young players should have featured more than the the pish that was Simmons and Scott McLaughlin in the middle of the park, the latter playing every single game I'm sure.

We needed a MacPherson type manager that season: a manager who had done well at making teams hard to beat, but he was a massive fail. The biggest issue was Macpherson's Plan A was to sit in and hopefully not concede. After we conceded his Plan B was revert to Plan A. Once we went behind it was practically game over. I'm sure I left after about an hour one game as I knew that was that. It was an absolutely awful season where we went down without remotely looking like fighting. By the time we were officially relegated (and the first relegation I've ever experienced) I wasn't angry or sad which I thought either emotion would have been heavy. I think we knew early on we were going down.

Strangely, the last game of the season we were beaten 5-3(?) at home to Ross County and it was the first time I left Palmerston that season feeling happy. AJ played more of the youngsters and we looked not half bad. Still getting beat of course but at least they put up a fight unlike the shitshow before that.

I always found Gus quite dislikeable for some reason. He had a hard job to do but he always appeared to me as if he was saying 'Look, we're shite, accept it, I've nae budget'. It's no surprise he hasn't got another gig this high up since us.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

:lol: unfortunately not, just seems a bit of a longer drawn out process for an out of work manager. Saying that, these are different times with COVID so that may well be the delay.

Could it be down to new managers assistant being the issue ? I also think papers are pre judging , I think the decision had still to be finalised yesterday evening 

Edited by Robbo63

Could it be down to new managers assistant being the issue ? I also think papers are pre judging , I think the decision had still to be finalised yesterday evening 

That would be a potential hold up if for example McIntyre wanted Billy Dodds brought in. Is he contracted to the BBC? If so a deal would have to be arranged for him to either leave completely or limit his media duties.

Of course if it was someone like Petrie then you’d imagine he’d need to make arrangements and relocate in order to be our manager. Same would goes for his coaching staff if he intended to bring them over.