Next Ayr United manager

32 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah the guy has an unreal knack for getting it right with signings and things like that.

The frustrating thing is the club were sure this was going to be water tight so the leak has probably come from Hopkin.

I'd bump whoever it was and take the next best, wonder if the new manager was in attendance. 

Edited by ayrmad

32 minutes ago, North British said:

Yeah I hear you , no strong evidence really , just wee half clues .  Smith also said he was blown away by who applied . On the testing business , I wouldn’t get strung out on that as an inhibitor, we tested 300 guys today at work , it can be done in many places  in Scotland if you have £200 ... I’d guess the new fellow will be tested well before he rocks up to take the test with the players . Can’t have him failing and missing the Hearts game on his first day ....

All  Ayr players and officials are  tested same day , goalie never arrived on time on Friday last week ( his St Mirren test ran out yesterday ) and that’s why he missed tonight as had to wait to Ayr’s next test day which is Thursday , led to believe club must carry out his test and report it to SPFL/ SFA 

Edited by Robbo63

Tommy Wright must be kicking himself right now, probably a shoe-in for the Aberdeen job and he's now manager of Kilmarnock and a potential relegation on his CV in two months time. 

Of the names that have been mentioned, very few interest me, the majority of candidates are run of the mill applicants that have been in and around Scottish football for years. 

The only one that interests me is Tommy Sloan, been the top junior manager for the last 15 years and is incredibly well respected. I have always wondered how he would fair at a senior club, If we were still part time and in league one then I wouldn't be against him taking over. 

McCoist, would have a good profile, but would his heart be in it? it would be easy for him to walk away if it was going wrong.  

I still say we need a safe pair of hands, an experienced manager with a few miles on the clock that can get us ending this season looking forward to next.  

I still say we need a safe pair of hands, an experienced manager with a few miles on the clock that can get us ending this season looking forward to next.  

Levein Faddy duo. Win the league at Rugby Park next season. It's happening.

I'll be willing to give Hopkin the benefit of the doubt, he did well with Livingston and up until he left Morton he actually had them in the midfield of the table. As others have said he is almost on a last chance saloon after doubters questioning his previous two spells at Bradford (i think) and Morton.

People say about the football too but he maybe only set up like that because of the players he had at his disposal, but still we can probably look back to the glory days of McCall where there were games we needed to have a bit more a defensive structure to our side to try and beat certain opposition, Inverness springs to mind. Then Kerr came in and i'm pretty sure it was his first game against Inverness he basicallly set us up to have ten men behind the ball and compact our own half by sitting in to make it difficult for Inverness to break us down and hope to nick something against the run of play. It worked and we beat Inverness 1-0 for what seemed like the first time in after an eternity of defeats under McCall.

If sometimes playing a bit more ugly football to grind out results gives us the best possible chance of finishing in the play offs under Hopkin, i'm willing to take it.

Re: Hopkin and a long ball style-It's easy to forget we were actually quite successful at being 'dlrect' at times under McCall - it just helped enormously when it was Michael Rose pinging it long into the channels for Shankland to chase / hold up, and then the team got up to support him.   I think folk fall into the trap sometimes of thinking short passes = good / long passes = bad.   The year we won L1 and half of our first season up we were generally great to watch as it was always a high tempo and teams couldn't cope.  

If it’s Hopkin can we expect him to try and get us playing with 3 at the back?

Do we have the players for that right now?

Sinisalo

Muirhead
Baird
Ndaba

Houston
Murdoch
McGavin/Miller
Reading

McCowan
Wright
Walsh

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If it’s Hopkin can we expect him to try and get us playing with 3 at the back?

Do we have the players for that right now?

Sinisalo

Muirhead
Baird
Ndaba

Houston
Murdoch
McGavin/Miller
Reading

McCowan
Wright
Walsh

Joe Chalmers at LB IMO

7 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:
9 minutes ago, rb123! said:
Faddy to join up with Hopkin?
Anyone know who Hopkin usually has as his assistant?

Anton McElhone

He has just done what pretty much  no manager in Ayr's history has ever done, and won in Inverness.  Get him signed up.   

Edited by Hursty

7 hours ago, Hursty said:

He has just done what pretty much  no manager in Ayr's history has ever done, and won in Inverness.  Get him signed up.   

The last manager to do that was Mark Kerr, careful what you wish for!

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

After speaking to @Ayr23 I wonder if the slight delay from finalising everything from Mon/Tue to announcing Thur may be down to compensation with another club being ironed out...

Hopefully Talbot aren't holding out for compen.