Next Ayr United manager

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Forrest, Crawford and McCowan are the only ones that I can think of that have went on to have success, the jury is still out on Finn Ecrepont we have been told for about the last four seasons that he was going to be the next big thing but both McCall and Kerr have not played him and I'm not to sure how he's got on at Albion Rovers on loan.

Siriki Dembele, Jackson Longridge, David Mitchell, and our very own Aaron Muirhead were part of our academy. 

On Ecrepont, he’d only really just turned 16 when McCall was here, think he was 16 when he played the game at Wrexham. 

Siriki Dembele, Jackson Longridge, David Mitchell, and our very own Aaron Muirhead were part of our academy. 

On Ecrepont, he’d only really just turned 16 when McCall was here, think he was 16 when he played the game at Wrexham. 
These guys needed to leave before getting success not sure if that's a reflection on the academy or the managers, as for Fin he's still really young so hopefully we see the benefit of him and not some other club.

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:

These guys needed to leave before getting success not sure if that's a reflection on the academy or the managers, as for Fin he's still really young so hopefully we see the benefit of him and not some other club.

Longridge was more than ready when he was here, but Roberts hung him out to dry after the red card v Airdrie in the play offs. Never got a look in the season Roberts took over and he signed *shudders* Austin McCann and Marc Twaddle. Never offered him a contract at the end of the season which meant we never got a development fee. 

Don’t think David Robertson’ll be coming anyway but just caught the last 10 mins of the Kashmir game on Facebook, hard to say much about the standard, looked pretty crap, but as far as the managers concerned at 1-1 they chucked Mason Robertson upfront and consequently lost the game...think he’s their joint top scorer with 5

1 hour ago, Kitty_Boy said:

Not sure where the idea came from that there could be an appointment before this weekend or even before the deadline for applications on Monday. Thursday next week most likely, all going to plan. 

Pretty sure this idea came from something Robbo said.

49 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I really don’t think we can count Siriki Dembele!

White was Roberts assistant, so he was heavily involved in that period of failure. In terms of the stories about White during that period, McLaughlin isn’t the only one to speak out about it. As always, there are two sides and of course that won’t be the full truth though. 

56 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Slightly left field but Derek Riordan has been interviewed for the job.  From what I hear it will take a strong candidate to get it ahead of him.

This is just an updated version of that daft rumour I started a few years ago that we were signing him. People actually believed it as well. 😂

Jonatan Johansson was interviewed and impressed last time round. 
Not sure where the idea came from that there could be an appointment before this weekend or even before the deadline for applications on Monday. Thursday next week most likely, all going to plan. 

I think the idea came about because it was mentioned that Smith had already lined up a few candidates for interview, and if he got his man, I suggested they could bring forward or remove the closing date. Also the fact that we're needing someone in ASAP. I reckon on Monday evening we'll get some news, unless there's some last minute applications.

I believe it's you who is in charge of the Twitter (I could be way off)? Better get some #imminent Tweets ready!

1 hour ago, Kitty_Boy said:

Well that's disappointing.... not only do we go two massive games without a manager but also means virtually another week of listesting to dross guesses on here about who's going to be the next manager.

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Forrest, Crawford and McCowan are the only ones that I can think of that have went on to have success, the jury is still out on Finn Ecrepont we have been told for about the last four seasons that he was going to be the next big thing but both McCall and Kerr have not played him and I'm not to sure how he's got on at Albion Rovers on loan.

McGuffie played over 100 games for us, granted most were off the bench, but I'd still say that's a pretty good return. Although it worked out well for us cause he scored some important goals in the run-in he probably needed a loan spell the year we won the league. Also the following season we should have loaned him to a club where he'd have been first choice every week instead of sending him to Raith.

The other 3 that I think could have had a decent Ayr career were Jonathan Tiffoney had he not been an absolute weapon, Ross Robertson had he not wanted to play as a striker and Mark Shankland if he had a better attitude at the time.  

McGuffie played over 100 games for us, granted most were off the bench, but I'd still say that's a pretty good return. Although it worked out well for us cause he scored some important goals in the run-in he probably needed a loan spell the year we won the league. Also the following season we should have loaned him to a club where he'd have been first choice every week instead of sending him to Raith.
The other 3 that I think could have had a decent Ayr career were Jonathan Tiffoney had he not been an absolute weapon, Ross Robertson had he not wanted to play as a striker and Mark Shankland if he had a better attitude at the time.  

My guess is one of 2 types of manager...

Big name or Done it before

Don’t know or haven’t met the chairman, but his comment about playing too flight football made me think:

He wants things done and is impatient.

Might want to increase the profile of the club he is clearly very proud to support.

Wants someone who has done it before and knows what it takes to get promotion from this league.

Step forward - Ally McCoist [emoji6]

3 hours ago, Kitty_Boy said:

Bullet well dodged there. Genuinely surprised he got as far as an interview at this level after his spell with us.

Edited by Dunning1874

19 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Think a lot will depend on tomorrow, if we go up there and get easily beaten Smith will probably feel the need to up the tempo and get new manager in before Tuesday night.

That's my thinking.

If we are easily beaten by a Morton team as rotten as we are form-wise then it doesn't bode well. They've only won once in 10 as well!

Screenshot_20210305-141250_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Trogdor

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If we are easily beaten by a Morton team as rotten as we are form-wise then it doesn't bode well. They've only won once in 10 as well!

Screenshot_20210305-141250_Chrome.jpg

They played well against Dundee last week and deserved to win by all accounts