Next Ayr United manager

I hope our new chairman is getting the right/sound advice from whoever - I'm picturing one or two agents working overtime in order to get their client in the door. My preference is still someone who's ambitious and has done well in the lower leagues (Petrie, Young, Murphy, Farrell etc) rather than a failed 'big name' from a higher league (Hopkins, Lambert, McCall, Levein etc). Houston could be a good shout though?     

57 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Sorry it was only 15 games of which only 9 were league games , ended with that infamous game against Motherwell in the play off final , where Craig Moore decked Pocahontas ( I think ) 

2riwti.jpg

21 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Danny Lennon for me, of the names mentioned I would trust him to turn this team around and also build a new one going forward. 

Agree with this but he seems pretty happy at Clyde. Not sure he’d leave them mid-season, especially if they get the go ahead to start playing again.

40 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I hope our new chairman is getting the right/sound advice from whoever - I'm picturing one or two agents working overtime in order to get their client in the door. My preference is still someone who's ambitious and has done well in the lower leagues (Petrie, Young, Murphy, Farrell etc) rather than a failed 'big name' from a higher league (Hopkins, Lambert, McCall, Levein etc). Houston could be a good shout though?     

Although they are sitting third now, across the course of his time at Stranraer, Farrell's record is not great - win rate of just over 30%. I don't have context to know whether that is explainable. Young is better but not jumping out.

I still come back to Houston as having solid experience and a record that even on paper is very good. He also comes across well in interviews and I think he could develop other aspects of the club such as the youth programmes.

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

An exclusive story in Glasgow Times saying Maurice Ross is one of the guys Smith has sounded out

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19126691.ex-rangers-defender-maurice-ross-frame-ayr-utd-job-motherwell-departure/

Ross jacking in his job at Motherwell a week ago to "pursue new opportunities" seems convenient timing there.

I get the impression that he's the type of guy who's likely to give good interview. He did a couple of interviews with the MFC Podcast and came across well (if extremely intense) - mind you that was before he started offending St Mirren and Celtic this season and the club/Robinson had to apologise to save face. 

Tbh, I'm still not sure if he's actually a good manager or not. Craigan was the one who brought through the likes of Campbell, Hastie, Turnbull etc in our u20s and by the time Ross took over the Reserve League was a full blown shitshow. It was also around that point our media dept seemed to decide to stop covering the Reserve games in any meaningful way so all we'd get would be a 60 clip of goals filmed on a GoPro or whatever.

Fwiw: he spent a few years managing in Scandinavia before he came back to Scotland.

206847814_ScreenShot2021-03-01at17_47_37.png.1c7f49692c234113342e91251703e0ea.png

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Jazzar said:

Lambert wouldn't apply based in England Stuart McCall is based in England Levein is based up here but lives in the east coast hardly likely and he probably can get another crack in England or SPFL

Petrie is based in Dundee hasn't a pool for players to come down so would take him out the running 

Hopkins fits the bill though 

Lambert wouldn't apply based in England Stuart McCall is based in England Levein is based up here but lives in the east coast hardly likely and he probably can get another crack in England or SPFL
Petrie is based in Dundee hasn't a pool for players to come down so would take him out the running 
Hopkins fits the bill though 

You don't half talk some amount of shite. Not this post specifically. A lot of this post though.

Just now, grumswall said:

You don't half talk some amount of shite. Not this post specifically. A lot of this post though.

And your a dreamer if you think any of the good ones have applied and haven't a clue about there ego

I would take talking s h I t e to actually thinking Ayr had a chance of any boss that has bossed in EPL

Ayr haven't any cash to get a top manager 

Malky McKay and Billy Davies might just be desperate enough though but maybe not that desperate