Next Ayr United manager

15 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

I'm pretty sure McIntyre has been sacked at every club he's been at. He's enjoyed successes too mind, seems to be one who is properly up and down.

ETA: maybe not sacked by QotS actually.

Virtually everyone on the "list" has failed and been sacked by their previous clubs, hence the reason they're currently out of work or working at a lower level, however there's many on that list who have also had lots of success at various different clubs and stages of their career, so it's really all about a snapshot in time with Managers which reflects whether their stock is high or low.

I suppose it will be down to whoever does well in their interview  and whether or not Smith has anyone he can rely on for "feedback" on any of the candidates.

10 minutes ago, rb123! said:

An exclusive story in Glasgow Times saying Maurice Ross is one of the guys Smith has sounded out

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19126691.ex-rangers-defender-maurice-ross-frame-ayr-utd-job-motherwell-departure/

No thanks. It’s experience we need. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

In the situation you're in, he'd keep you up. It's about what you want after that.

He'll come in and inspire your current players and organise them better which will be enough to get you safe. The problem comes when he needs to put his own team together. He really is one of the worst operators I've seen in a transfer window. The first summer in charge he oversaw the entire squad leaving after low-balling them on new deals, then he fucked about doing nothing for weeks before finally attending an exit trial match about a week before the Betfred Cup started, where he signed 5 or 6 bodies. None of them good enough. He scrambled his way through that season with the late signing of Joe McKee, who was quite frankly ridiculous with his assists, and the loan of Regan Tumilty, but we were being tipped by many for a Brechin-esque season. 

Last summer we all hoped he'd learned his lesson but we seem to have dropped in quality yet again. He really does seem lazy when it comes to this stuff, it just takes far too long for signings to happen. I think most Sons fans are at the stage of thanking him for steadying the ship and moving on in the summer. Players love him, there's no doubt he's a good guy and will squeeze every last bit of effort out your players but there seems to be an enthusiasm for the job missing with Duffy. That may well change if he was back in full time football mind you. I reckon he'd keep Ayr in this division for as long as they wanted to be but I wouldn't have faith in him taking you upwards.

Most of our fanbase don't even know what upwards looks like. 

11 minutes ago, rb123! said:

An exclusive story in Glasgow Times saying Maurice Ross is one of the guys Smith has sounded out

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19126691.ex-rangers-defender-maurice-ross-frame-ayr-utd-job-motherwell-departure/

Exciting times ahead. 

7 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Well that’s my bet done , who’s everyones money on ? 1 pick only 

If you get the inside info out to a chosen few before the official announcement, we could get enough on to give the club a bit of a financial boost. 😉

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

Stuart McCall couldn't get promoted out of this league with nu Rangers, how's he going to do it with Ayr?

Only there for 17 games as caretaker to take control of a club that was failing badly that season 

Edited by Robbo63

4 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Only there for 17 games as caretaker to take control of a club that was failing badly that season 

This is true and he is responsible for my first great football memory at Italia '90.

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

This is true and he is responsible for my first great football memory at Italia '90.

Sorry it was only 15 games of which only 9 were league games , ended with that infamous game against Motherwell in the play off final , where Craig Moore decked Pocahontas ( I think ) 

51 minutes ago, rb123! said:

The end of that article implies that there might be a short term appointment just now and a longer term one in the summer. I wouldn’t be against that but I’m sure @Robbo63 said yesterday it wouldn’t be happening.

25 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Sorry it was only 15 games of which only 9 were league games , ended with that infamous game against Motherwell in the play off final , where Craig Moore decked Pocahontas ( I think ) 

On the other hand, is that not a similar task to what we would be asking of him - 'get us to the end of the season and hit this minimum threshold'?

31 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

If you get the inside info out to a chosen few before the official announcement, we could get enough on to give the club a bit of a financial boost. 😉

I could tell you a story about that, which involved Bryan Robson, Gordon McQueen and Boro but it didn't work out entirely as planned...........

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Stuart McCall could be classed as a bit of a different approach, he must have lots of decent contacts both here and in English lower leagues , comes across as pretty clued up and by all accounts is a good man manager , would prefer him to Hopkins or McIntyre 

I'd be happy with S McCall or Houston but would definitely take Robinson and probably Stubbs (so lona as the rumours weren't true).