Next Ayr United manager

I dont think any of the names so far are in anyway inspiring.

Im hoping its not someone mentioned so far, but cant think of anyone. I would be hoping for someone with previous management experience ideally at Championship level or above. Someone similar to Mccall would be a shout (without the gambling issues obvs), been a manager then had sometime away, but ideally still involved in football ie as a coach at a big club, who has decided it was time to get back into management. 

I have no names to add, but that would fit my bill

For the situation we are in, and hope to then be in next season, we need someone with championship / promotion winning miles on the clock.

Someone who knows what it takes to navigate their way out of this league and to whom the players will have instant respect for doing so.

14 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Heard it said many times that part time managers from the east struggle when they come over to the west. There seems to be a core of players over there who are of a good level ,happy playing part time and don't travel far. A lot of managers like to take previous players or others they know well to their new club. Dick Campbell at Partick was a good example of this not working. out.  That's not to say Petrie would be the same but don't know enough about the Montrose team or situation there

Montrose are definitely an above average League One team who play some decent football. Petrie is a forward thinking manager who recruits well, even looking at University teams from where they attracted Blair Lyons and Aidan Quinn.

I'm coming round to this though is he likely to uproot and move West? Doubtful.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Montrose are definitely an above average League One team who play some decent football. Petrie is a forward thinking manager who recruits well, even looking at University teams from where they attracted Blair Lyons and Aidan Quinn.

Ayr could be the 2-3 year stepping stone he needs to get one of the "big" East coast gigs (Aberdeen / Dundee(s) / Edinburgh). As a Championship club we need to be realistic that if a manager comes in and does a great job they will be poached at some point, especially if they do the unthinkable and take us up. 

For the situation we are in, and hope to then be in next season, we need someone with championship / promotion winning miles on the clock.

Someone who knows what it takes to navigate their way out of this league and to whom the players will have instant respect for doing so.

Yeah I agree with this. This is obviously a very important appointment, so we probably do need that experienced head. I'm nervous about the thought of a League One/Two manager who is looking to step up (Darren Young for example).

25 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Probably not. He's been around long enough to make the radar of other clubs and guessing he's been approached before elsewhere.  Think he might have other employment when combined with his current gig is quite lucrative. If his managerial life is focused on moving up the ranks then  i think we might have noticed him on our shortlist the last time 

16 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If Stewart Petrie is even slightly interested we should be going and getting him asap

15 hours ago, Enigma said:

Petrie is the outstanding candidate if you ask me. If he’s in any way interesting you should be appointing him. If we’re looking at a joke appointment though it’s Alan Stubbs for me.

These are spot on. He may well not be interested but he's far and away the most qualified of the semi-realistic candidates.

A few posts in this thread have mentioned him being inexperienced. That isn't true - he's been the Montrose manager for over four years, and he's the fourth longest serving manager in Scottish football at present. The job he's done there has been nothing short of phenomenal. Prior to his arrival they had spent more than two decades hovering around the foot of League 2 and the old Third Division. They were bottom of the league when he took over in December 2016. He took them from the bottom of the league into the promotion playoffs in that first half-season, won the league the next season, and then steered them to back-to-back fourth place finishes in League 1. They're currently third.

No other club in senior Scottish football have punched above their weight as consistently as Montrose have over the past few years, and most, if not all, of that credit goes to Petrie. We can tout managers with generic experience at a higher level but, for a club in Ayr's predicament, we need a manager with specific expertise in dragging a team out of the mire mid-season and, if we wish to look up the way rather than down in future seasons, having a team perform at what most people would consider to be above their 'natural' level. Petrie has an unblemished record in both areas; Montrose have had the odd sticky patch since he took over but overall he's exceeded expectations in literally every season he's spent as a manager.

Darren Young has been mentioned in the same breath as Petrie but he would be a riskier appointment: East Fife have had some brilliant spells under him, but they've also gone on some long barren runs. Which isn't to say that I think he'd be a terrible appointment, but Petrie's track record is on another level.

16 hours ago, Enigma said:

Petrie is the outstanding candidate if you ask me. If he’s in any way interesting you should be appointing him. If we’re looking at a joke appointment though it’s Alan Stubbs for me.

I suggested Stubbs as a possible replacement a few weeks back on a thread somewhere, for some lunatic to suggest he would be demanding 4 grand a week because he’s managed in England and the Scottish Premiership :lol:

These are spot on. He may well not be interested but he's far and away the most qualified of the semi-realistic candidates.
A few posts in this thread have mentioned him being inexperienced. That isn't true - he's been the Montrose manager for over four years, and he's the fourth longest serving manager in Scottish football at present. The job he's done there has been nothing short of phenomenal. Prior to his arrival they had spent more than two decades hovering around the foot of League 2 and the old Third Division. They were bottom of the league when he took over in December 2016. He took them from the bottom of the league into the promotion playoffs in that first half-season, won the league the next season, and then steered them to back-to-back fourth place finishes in League 1. They're currently third.
No other club in senior Scottish football have punched above their weight as consistently as Montrose have over the past few years, and most, if not all, of that credit goes to Petrie. We can tout managers with generic experience at a higher level but, for a club in Ayr's predicament, we need a manager with specific expertise in dragging a team out of the mire mid-season and, if we wish to look up the way rather than down in future seasons, having a team perform at what most people would consider to be above their 'natural' level. Petrie has an unblemished record in both areas; Montrose have had the odd sticky patch since he took over but overall he's exceeded expectations in literally every season he's spent as a manager.
Darren Young has been mentioned in the same breath as Petrie but he would be a riskier appointment: East Fife have had some brilliant spells under him, but they've also gone on some long barren runs. Which isn't to say that I think he'd be a terrible appointment, but Petrie's track record is on another level.

This

He’d be my first choice and if he’s interested he needs to be seriously considered.

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This

He’d be my first choice and if he’s interested he needs to be seriously considered.

I'm coming round to Petrie. However, is he a practical option? With a job outside football how quickly could he take the reigns full-time as there will be a notice period presumably. I could be worrying about nothing but given some of the full time jobs that have come up even in his geographic proximity has he actually applied for any?

As an aside, has anyone thrown their hat in the ring yet? 

3 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Jim Duffy. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Jim Duffy. 

He's the most experienced manager in Scottish football by my count. If they were wanting experience, he's the man.

Stewart Petrie is clearly the outstanding candidate on the list.

Jim McIntyre is a dreadful shout.