Morton vs Ayr

I feel the ideal time for this thread is right about now - when all any Ayr fan can talk about is our manager situation.

Who’ll be in the dugout for us in this one? Regardless of that it’s another must win for us to try and get out of this relegation mess we’ve got ourselves into to.

Morton are fairly shite I believe but make it awkward for teams to play against and Craig McGuffie seems to be in decent form for them of late so no doubt he’ll pop up with a goal against us.

Must win. Two improved performances in the last two games but still no wins to show for it. While a point at Tynecastle is a great result, a draw with this Dundee team is poor and if we don't finally manage a win now you have no idea when it'll ever happen. With a tough run of fixtures in March this is the most winnable game we've got. The rot needs to stop before we find ourselves looking at our longest winless run in decades and giving Alloa a serious chance to catch us.

Ayr and Morton are pretty clearly the favourites for 9th now, and with Kerr in serious danger of the sack along with Ayr having a game in hand, we need to give ourselves a cushion before a new manager comes in and possibly gives them a lift. For all the focus on Kerr though, if we actually had a manager you'd be saying falling to win here's a sackable offence as well. In the circumstances McElhone is doing okay with the hand he's been dealt but it doesn't change the fact of the relegation form we're in.

Fjortoft for McLean, Lyon for Blues, Oliver for Salkeld. We have better players in every area of the park sitting on the bench who could give us the bit extra we need to turn draws into wins.

The best we can hope for is a 0-0 if MK is still in charge .  Our hopeless 4-2-3-1 just doesn’t work for us . We haven’t scored in three games . Some of our forward area players need cut loose .  

If we have a new or interim appointment I have no doubt he’ll revert to a 4-4-2 , with perhaps Moffat up top with either Zanatta , McKenzie or Wright if fit . This would give us a flat four in midfield with only one of the ballers required out wide . I’d probably favour the two Ipswich boys and Murdoch for the grafting and McCowan for the show boating . Smith , Walsh , Chalmers benched I’m afraid . This is all clutching at straws stuff , if you offered me 0-0 right now I’d tear your hand off ....

9 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Am I right in saying Morton's form is even more honking than ours? quite the feat if so.

Depends on your criteria. Over the last 6 games - yes, just.. Over our winless run of 9 games - no, yours is.

Anyway, must win here to stop the winless run and not least to negate any potential advantage of your game in hand.

Lose and that will be us clear and obvious favourites for at least 9th.

There have been some positive signs for us the past few games. Scored a few good goals and the form of McGuffie. Defence still like s sieve though.

3-2 Morton.

Edited by Jamie_M

Unless MK is gone by Saturday I can’t see me purchasing this stream which is a shame as I enjoyed Morton’s coverage last time despite the late Ayr United capitulation. I thought Andy Ritchie came across very well. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Go with last 6, not that it matters much.

McGuffie to provide the coffin nail.

Bodes well that our form player is McGuffie. More than happy for him to come back and haunt you, only fair after us having to suffer that p***k Shankland.

37 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Sigh* I can write down the team I’d like to see us play but it’ll be nowhere near it.

Sinisalo/Urminsky

Houston
Muirhead
Baird
Ndaba

Murdoch
McGavin
Kerr
Walsh

Moffat
McCowan

Thought Reading had a good game so I'd go with :-

Sinisalo

Houston
Muirhead
Baird
Reading

Murdoch
McGavin
Ndaba
Walsh

Smith or Moffat
McCowan

Edited by Jazzar

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Sigh* I can write down the team I’d like to see us play but it’ll be nowhere near it.

Sinisalo/Urminsky

Houston
Muirhead
Baird
Ndaba

Murdoch
McGavin
Kerr
Walsh

Moffat
McCowan

If Kerr is sacked can you really see him continuing as a player? 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Our best performances as late have been postponements. In that vein, I'm going for a water logged pitch.

Dry all week on the Riviera. 

Mark Kerr following up on his post-match threat to play himself would be much appreciated. 

Dry all week on the Riviera. 
Mark Kerr following up on his post-match threat to play himself would be much appreciated. 

You just know he’s going to play and be at fault for a late Morton winner sealing his sacking.

FWIW I really really hope he just leaves before then. He did a lot for us as a player and it’d be shite to see that tarnished.