Worst Scotland international players

AllySloan

It was Kenny Miller and Lee Wilkie who scored the goals at Hampden that day......so you can't remember it that vividly [emoji854].
I don't remember McCormack playing for us at all. My psyche has obviously just built a wall around some of the more harrowing memories of that period. It's not the sunny reconstruction of the truly unwell. I don't, for instance, yearn for the inclusion of Stevies Crawford or Caldwell in the squad, and I still utterly loathe Ioan Ganea (disgusting thug of a man). Maybe I'll go on an ayahuasca retreat and I'll be visited by the hitherto hidden demonic presences of McCormack and the aforementioned Stockdale etc.
It's a useful touchstone though and helps me get a sense of perspective and gratitude when names like Mackail-Smith and Jamie Mackie crop up.
Ha. I was as the Miller Wilkie one too. Weirdly I was a regular throughout the Vogts era too. Not so much before or since.

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Greer had a very good Scotland career - 11 caps, and our only defeat was in his very last one, a 3-0 defeat to France in a friendly.

17 hours ago, velo army said:

Anyone nominating Gordon Greer obviously  can't remember his tackle on Lewandowski over in Warsaw that broke RL's shinpad and had him hobbling off in the first half. Tremendous thuggery.

These are good points. I'd really just looked at the names and checked the number of caps without properly checking the results in their games, picking up on some guys with unremarkable club careers along with the obvious duds and I couldn’t off the top of my head remember Greer's performances, so yeah, definitely Greer out, Crainey in and 4-4-2.

As for not picking anyone post-Vogts though, of players with 10 caps or more I'm really not seeing anyone worse than Paterson or McBurnie. We had someone out of their depth like Maurice Ross at right back but he wasn't as completely clueless there as Paterson, and I'd rather have the mediocrity of Stevie Crawford or Paul Dickov than McBurnie - disappointing as they were, they didn't destroy us as a creative force just by being there the way McBurnie does.

Edited by Dunning1874

Ian Murray’s performance against Belarus was one of the worst I can recall. To be fair to him the whole team was hopeless that day  but he was torn apart constantly and was hooked at half time. Hleb had the cigars out all game.

Robbie Nielson away to Ukraine is another that springs to mind.

Some of the Killie boys Clarke gave caps to. 

Brophy maybe worth a shout, but not the rest. O'Donnell is a hero of Belgrade ™ and Taylor is a good player who would probably end up with 20+ caps if it wasn't for who else is in hid position. Findlay is a great defender too, wouldn't be surprised to see him play for us again.

O'Donnell and Findlay had both been called up by McLeish previously too.

I don’t like this post. Worth remembering that the players mentioned were, by definition,  better than all the other ones playing at the time. 

Yes, every single manager is a perfect judge of talent and never ever makes a mistake with their selection.

21 hours ago, velo army said:

This should really only feature players from the Vogts era. I feel a bit "remember the 90's" Sellick da' about this but frankly, if you're nominating anyone capped after 2005 then you're either too young or too traumatised and have repressed the memory of the jobber parade that was Berti's "Reign of Error". 

I consider myself to be in the too traumatised bracket because, despite having gone to most of our games under him (including all but one of the friendlies....what the f**k is wrong with me!!!) I genuinely can't remember the finer details beyond it being a field of utter dross and James McFadden. 

Wilkie at least scored a goal, and Devlin had a decent game against Iceland, so I can't give it to him. Stephen Crainey looked like the archetypal competition winner though. Looked utterly lost at that level. I genuinely can't remember any of the English haddies who were "unearthed" (exhumed may have been a better word) by BV aside from their names. I'll probably need hypnotherapy to recall the contributions of Robbie Stockdale, Scott Dobie et al.

Anyone nominating Gordon Greer obviously  can't remember his tackle on Lewandowski over in Warsaw that broke RL's shinpad and had him hobbling off in the first half. Tremendous thuggery.

Matt Elliott was pretty hopeless. I'm pretty sure Vogts even played him up front for a couple of games.

1 minute ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Matt Elliott was pretty hopeless. I'm pretty sure Vogts even played him up front for a couple of games.

I thought it was Craig Broon that did that. I remember at the time Levein was playing Kevin McKenna up front which was working a treat for them.

This whole thread is bringing me out in a cold sweat.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

I thought it was Craig Broon that did that. I remember at the time Levein was playing Kevin McKenna up front which was working a treat for them.

This whole thread is bringing me out in a cold sweat.

You could be right.

I've successfully erased the memories of that era. 

13 hours ago, Scumjob said:

The brothers Caldwell.

I know Gary had a decent career but both just gave me the fear.

Gary Caldwell should be nowhere near this thread. His goal against France alone should be enough, but there was a period of time where he was absolutely solid at CB. I mind a a game against Denmark (friendly win at Hampden) and he was a clear motm.

He did, however, also give me the fear as he loved running 40yds to kick put in a late tackle on the halfway line and get himself booked. Bonkers.

Edited by velo army