Worst Scotland international players

AllySloan

On 08/05/2021 at 12:13, baillieinleeds said:

Alan Rough, awful awful goalkeeper. 

I've no idea why this got two reddies.

Rough was dreadful - absolutely the worst link in good sides.  Massively responsible for the debacle in Argentina.  We conceded six goals and he can absolutely be faulted for four of them.  

It's inexplicable that he gathered so many caps.  

17 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
On 11/05/2021 at 10:47, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:
He scored on his debut, but then remarkably didn't get another cap for six years afterwards.

Cos he was shite for those 6 years. Then he got a bit better and we got a bit shiter. A marriage made in heaven.

I get that we had McCoist, Gallacher, Durie etc at that point - but normally scoring on your debut is at least worth a sympathy second cap in the next friendly.

On 29/03/2021 at 00:09, Thumper said:

Broadfoot will still always stand out as the one who seemingly won a raffle to be there, even though he was actually fine as compared to his still-bombscare form for der *** during the period. Felt happy for the guy for his Iceland heroics.

Iwelumo is the ledge though. You spend your whole career building towards representing your country and then do that, which is the sort of thing I used to do if I hadn't played fives for a few weeks.

Kirk Broadfoot who started in the UEFA Cup Final is the worst Scotland player of all time?

On 11/05/2021 at 09:51, TheScarf said:

Goodwillie's penalty against Spain was superb IIRC.  Top corner job.

For some reason I had it in my mind that it was a panenka, but it was a “stutter and place it opposite the keeper” job.

Minutes later he sent the ball into row z while Craig Mackail-Smith (remember him?) was waiting in front of an empty goal for a cut back.

That would have made it 3-2 but we would have needed a win (lol) to beat the Czechs to second place.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

For some reason I had it in my mind that it was a panenka, but it was a “stutter and place it opposite the keeper” job.

Minutes later he sent the ball into row z while Craig Mackail-Smith (remember him?) was waiting in front of an empty goal for a cut back.

That would have made it 3-2 but we would have needed a win (lol) to beat the Czechs to second place.

I have no recollection of this game whatsoever. 

3 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

I have no recollection of this game whatsoever. 

2nd game in an away double header.

Couple of days before we beat Liechtenstein 1-0 in Vaduz courtesy of a goal from Mckail-Smith. Bumped into him, Darren Fletcher & Craig Levein the following morning at Zurich airport.

Had a couple of pints with Duncan Shearer in Alicante, also got to see the World Cup which was on display. IIRC the Spanish team were staying in a bog-std hotel on the waterfont in Alicante mixing with everybody else as regulars.

9 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Kirk Broadfoot who started in the UEFA Cup Final is the worst Scotland player of all time?

Edson Braafheid played in a World Cup final. As I say, won a raffle to be there.

21 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've no idea why this got two reddies.

Rough was dreadful - absolutely the worst link in good sides.  Massively responsible for the debacle in Argentina.  We conceded six goals and he can absolutely be faulted for four of them.  

It's inexplicable that he gathered so many caps. 

He was also about three foot six, played with no gloves as was the style at the time, and somehow got a career as a pundit despite lacking the capacity for speaking the English language.  He’s appalling, and even if he was the best keeper Scotland have, he’d still be meriting a place in this thread.

Edson Braafheid played in a World Cup final. As I say, won a raffle to be there.

I remember seeing him on the pitch and began questioning what the f**k was going on.

On 11/05/2021 at 10:34, DA Baracus said:

Stevie Crawford has more goals for Scotland than the majority of the current team do.

Considering that he was a centre forward with 25 caps, it would be quite embarrassing if he hadn't outscored defenders and holding midfielders.

He scored 4 goals, coming against Ecuador in the Kirin Cup then in friendlies v Canada x 2 and New Zealand. It was a shite record and of the current crop of centre forwards only McBurnie is obviously poorer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2021 at 18:14, tamthebam said:

He might have been ok but Scott Gemmill got 26 caps mostly warming the bench.

I noticed he did get one goal though.

It was against a Hong Kong Select.

Remember being at the 2-0 loss to Belgium in Brussels which ended our chances of getting to the Japan/SK World Cup. With time desperately running out someone shouted ‘Bring on Scott Gemmill, he’ll save us’ and the whole of the surrounding section laughing. Definite you laugh or you cry moment.