Worst Scotland international players

AllySloan

Brian Kerr was complete pump for The Caley.  Our fans took great pleasure in seeing him suffer with Dundee the following season as we absolutely cigared our way to the SPL, leaving him and other losers like Leigh Griffiths and Gary Harkins in our wake.

On 27/02/2021 at 15:53, Comrie said:

McCormack had a boggling amount of money spent on him in terms of transfers.

I think he scored twice- Iceland and Australia.

He was scoring for fun and teams wanted a championship goalscorer.
I have never seen a pro look so unfit that second time he came to Motherwell though.

• 3 weeks later...

Has nobody mentioned Graeme Murty yet?

Randomly reappeared for the Tbilisi travesty after a few Kirin Cup caps. I remember when he was appointed Rangers caretaker and just thinking "Remember that guy!"

His name and that red kit will haunt me til my dying day.

Broadfoot will still always stand out as the one who seemingly won a raffle to be there, even though he was actually fine as compared to his still-bombscare form for der *** during the period. Felt happy for the guy for his Iceland heroics.

Iwelumo is the ledge though. You spend your whole career building towards representing your country and then do that, which is the sort of thing I used to do if I hadn't played fives for a few weeks.

The funny thing about Iwelumo is that I seem to remember him having a decent impact on the game after coming on. After a poor first half, we looked more likely to score after his introduction but obviously then looked like we'd never score again.

13 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I think it was him and Fletcher who came on a double sub and just absolutely bodied the Norwegian defence. The ball stuck up the top more, good movement and the switch to two upfront dragged the defenders around. Miss aside it was a good performance. 

Murders aside, Shipman was a good GP.

3 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

The funny thing about Iwelumo is that I seem to remember him having a decent impact on the game after coming on. After a poor first half, we looked more likely to score after his introduction but obviously then looked like we'd never score again.

The worst thing about Iwelumo's miss was it giving Kris Boyd some sort of false vindication for being a petulant c**t about it and refusing to play for Scotland.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The worst thing about Iwelumo's miss was it giving Kris Boyd some sort of false vindication for being a petulant c**t about it and refusing to play for Scotland.

If I remember correctly Iwelumo had started the season very well with Wolves who were top of the championship and Boyd was in and out of the Rangers team, being left on the bench regularly for the bigger games. It’s completely understandable why Burley opted for Iwelumo. Then as we know Boys refuses to play, makes his comeback as a substitute against the Czechs. Starts again Liechtenstein and plays a stinker, gets subbed after an hour or so and  never plays for Scotland again. Scored a few goals against a few diddy nations and far from the worst player to play for Scotland but was still nowhere near good enough to have had a longer Scotland career. 

2 hours ago, Gunz said:

If I remember correctly Iwelumo had started the season very well with Wolves who were top of the championship and Boyd was in and out of the Rangers team, being left on the bench regularly for the bigger games. It’s completely understandable why Burley opted for Iwelumo. Then as we know Boys refuses to play, makes his comeback as a substitute against the Czechs. Starts again Liechtenstein and plays a stinker, gets subbed after an hour or so and  never plays for Scotland again. Scored a few goals against a few diddy nations and far from the worst player to play for Scotland but was still nowhere near good enough to have had a longer Scotland career

Bold part is a bit strong IMO. He was a dick for spitting the dummy, but had he not, he could easily have kept a spot in our squad for a good few years after that - serving as a good option against weaker opposition or as a sub against better teams. He served in that role and did it well in his first 15 caps (7 goals - regardless of who they were against, we simply can't sniff at a strong record like that). His career dipped for a few years when he left Rangers, but he showed good enough form when he went back to Killie to be called up by Strachan, albeit he never managed another appearance in the dark blue.

In short: a useful goalscoring talent wasted, mainly by his own actions and poor career choices (such as going to play in Turkey after being unable to handle the heat at Hampden during a sunny day Scottish Cup Final)

Edited by Gordopolis