Worst Scotland international players

AllySloan

47 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah, obviously just a joke. I do think he is/was ridiculously overrated by scotland fans tho.

On a serious note I'd go for mcburnie, a ghost. An empty shirt floating about the pitch.

I made, a joke, suggestion of Jordan White recently

But I genuinely think even he would have more impact than mcburnie

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah, obviously just a joke. I do think he is/was ridiculously overrated by scotland fans tho.

On a serious note I'd go for mcburnie, a ghost. An empty shirt floating about the pitch.

I think he is retrospectively highly rated by Scotland fans due to his being underappreciated during his international career. He was a striker who wasn't a regular scorer but whose workrate and selflessness brought others into play etc etc. His first touch was often hilariously bad (I recall him receiving a pass 30yds from the opposition goal and finally got it under control in his own half) and if he was one on one with the keeper he was rarely favourite. He was far from a fans' favourite at the time.

McBurnie is a bafflingly shite player though. I genuinely don't understand how he can look so slow and clueless. Burke is rubbish, but at least his incompetence is leavened by his dynamism. McBurnie was blowing out his arse after coming on against Serbia. 

Edited by velo army

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Gary Caldwell should be nowhere near this thread. His goal against France alone should be enough, but there was a period of time where he was absolutely solid at CB. I mind a a game against Denmark (friendly win at Hampden) and he was a clear motm.

He did, however, also give me the fear as he loved running 40yds to kick put in a late tackle on the halfway line and get himself booked. Bonkers.

Both Gary Caldwell and Stephen McManus at the back were fairly decent for us. Was never sure about Gary Caldwell playing midfield as he ended up doing a couple of times, but would be happy for both to be in and around the squad if they were playing now.

Steven Caldwell on the other hand was a bit of a bomb scare. Maybe not the worst centre half to have represented Scotland but you knew we were in trouble if you saw his name on the team sheet. 

Edited by KingRocketman II
Just checked. SC played 12 times for Scotland - 4 wins, 3 draws and 5 defeats. a few of those defeats were pumpings though including at the hands of Wales.

Scott Dobie was the one that immediately sprang to mind for me.

Dobie and Kevin Kyle were our strike partnership for that embarrassing 2-2 draw in the Faroes. What a time to be alive.

PS: If you're ever bored, go back and watch how easily Stephen Crainey gets skinned for the second Faroese goal. Unbelievable.

10 hours ago, velo army said:

Gary Caldwell should be nowhere near this thread. His goal against France alone should be enough, but there was a period of time where he was absolutely solid at CB. I mind a a game against Denmark (friendly win at Hampden) and he was a clear motm.

He did, however, also give me the fear as he loved running 40yds to kick put in a late tackle on the halfway line and get himself booked. Bonkers.

I think you're right. He always springs to mind because he was part of the side and giving me the fear for so long. A Caldwell - McManus partnership as someone else said would likely be starting for us these days.

Most of the real rotten players didn't get too far into double figures.

Seen Kevin McDonald's name mentioned a few times. Didn't know where else to put this so here it goes.

Always thought he'd be a mainstay in the Scotland team. Seemed to have his head screwed on at Dens and had all the talent in the world. I thought there was maybe a bit of Billy big baws when he went down South that hindered him from fulfilling his early potential but this news story today is pretty grim:

It's a miracle that he's been able to play football at such a level for so long whilst utilising just 10% of 1 kidney.

Edited by Ludo*1

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

He might have been ok but Scott Gemmill got 26 caps mostly warming the bench.

I noticed he did get one goal though.

It was against a Hong Kong Select.

Unreal, I was about to post this too. 26 caps in which he amassed probably about 43 minutes of playing time. :lol: 

The ultimate uninspiring international footballer.

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

He might have been ok but Scott Gemmill got 26 caps mostly warming the bench.

I noticed he did get one goal though.

It was against a Hong Kong Select.

I assume his Dad was involved with Scotland for a good chunk of that period? 

Are we judging this on just their performances whilst actually playing for Scotland  Or just their general ability?

If it's the former then David Bates and Gordon Greer are terrible shouts.  They were both fine for Scotland.