Worst Scotland international players

AllySloan

Thought this maybe an interesting topic....

Who do you guys think are some of the worst players to put on the navy blue? 

The first one that always comes to my mind first is Craig Mackail-Smith. An absolute naebody from the English leagues but because he played there and presumably having a Scottish grandparent, he must be good

2b77f62e118a44b0100bb0d8764b0a4d55b227b0.jpg

Thought this maybe an interesting topic....
Who do you guys think are some of the worst players to put on the navy blue? 
The first one that always comes to my mind first is Craig Mackail-Smith. An absolute naebody from the English leagues but because he played there and presumably having a Scottish grandparent, he must be good
2b77f62e118a44b0100bb0d8764b0a4d55b227b0.jpg.72f4bd01d6549779f514c15e05659d42.jpg
He wasn't that bad, certainly not the worst striker to have played for us. At the time/season of his callup he had scored nearly 40 goals for his club, albeit at League One level, and seemed to be on the brink of an EPL move. Ended up going to Brighton of course and really faded away after that.

In terms of expectations/ability vs actual contribution, I'd be tempted to nominate Matt Phillips. Just looked awkward and all round out of place for us 95% of the time.

41 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

He wasn't that bad, certainly not the worst striker to have played for us. At the time/season of his callup he had scored nearly 40 goals for his club, albeit at League One level, and seemed to be on the brink of an EPL move. Ended up going to Brighton of course and really faded away after that.

In terms of expectations/ability vs actual contribution, I'd be tempted to nominate Matt Phillips. Just looked awkward and all round out of place for us 95% of the time.

I thought Phillips wasn't that bad as a squad player, certainly had worse

Mackail-Smith and Broadfoot are terrible shouts, both were probably not good enough but both did reasonably well when they played, including scoring goals in narrow wins in away qualifiers.

Some names I'd chuck in from recent years are Kevin McDonald, David Bates, Liam Bridcutt, Danny Fox, Brian Kerr, Scott Dobie, Robbie Stockdale, Warren Cummings.

Iwelumo has to be up there. I was at Hampden when THAT miss happened. Still can't believe it! 
Richard Hughes and Peter Canero were both mince. 
Garry Kenneth too. Insane that he was capped before Considine. 

When he was capped, Garry Kenneth had just won the Scottish Cup and Considine was a joke figure even at his own club.

He is a good shout as being absolutely hopeless though.

Mackail-Smith and Broadfoot are terrible shouts, both were probably not good enough but both did reasonably well when they played, including scoring goals in narrow wins in away qualifiers.

Some names I'd chuck in from recent years are Kevin McDonald, David Bates, Liam Bridcutt, Danny Fox, Brian Kerr, Scott Dobie, Robbie Stockdale, Warren Cummings.
I know you don't rate Bates, which is fair enough, but in terms of his Scotland appearances he has done reasonably well IIRC? Part of the Nations' League group win that got us to the playoffs, playing in wins against Albania and Israel. The blot of course is the Kazakhstan debacle, but that was an all-round farce as opposed to one player letting the side down (apart from Shinnie [emoji848]).
But 4 caps, 3 wins - all competitive - isn't bad.

Fully expect some hilarious laughing/crying emojis from a certain poster for daring to open the debate.

Iwelumo has to be up there. I was at Hampden when THAT miss happened. Still can't believe it! 
Agree re Garry Kenneth. Feel sorry for Iwelumo tho - don't think he was a bad player. Just a shame that the miss defined him.

But harsh to pick one-cap wonders but I couldn't believe Steven Saunders got a cap for Scotland.

by no means a bad player but I can't recall anything of note of Brian McLair in a Scotland shirt barring his goal vs the CIS at Euro 92.

Has Scott Fox been capped yet? 🤔😉

18 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
58 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Agree re Garry Kenneth. Feel sorry for Iwelumo tho - don't think he was a bad player. Just a shame that the miss defined him.

According to him, it doesn't define him

21 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
1 hour ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

(doubly) agree re Kenneth and the defence of Iwelumo. 

10 minutes ago, Pato said:

John '1 cap' Kennedy would be a topical choice

That daesn't make sense unless you have mistakenly read this as worst international games - for Kennedy that was effectively the end of his career. Prior to that game he was considered by most to be an extremely promising young player. 

List is endless if you dip your toe into Vogt's reign - Dobie (not to be confused with Dobbie), Crainey, Ross, Devlin, Kyle, Gould, Wilkie to name but. a few.