2020 Season Review

GNU_Linux

Call it a review or a post-mortem depending on how the season went.  Post the best, worst & general thoughts on both your own team & the league as a whole.

Detroit Lions

The 2020 season saw a 5-11 record which resulted in Matt Patricia getting his jotters during the season. If I was to attempt to summarize the Lions season it's a case of being unable to hold leads due to struggles on the defensive side of the ball. The defence set records letting up 519 points & allowing 6716 yards both of which are franchise records & 3rd overall in NFL history for their respective categories. Outdoing 2008 is some achievement. In contrast the Lions did a lot right on offence with Matthew Stafford continuing to do Matthew Stafford things with his receiving core. Matters on offence weren't helped by the shuffling up front that happened.

Best game: The Week 10 30-27 against [redacted] with the week 13 34-30 win against the Bears runner up. Technically the week 6 34-16 against the Jags was better but the Jags were rotten in 2020. The other wins were tight affairs maxing out at a 3 point winning margin which further goes to demonstrate even in victory defence was lackluster.

Worst Game: Week 16 47-7 loss against the Buccs was a massacre. Even having WR coach Robert Prince in temporary charge can't excuse it. The 74yd punt return by Jamal Agnew was nice at least. The week 11 shutout 20-0 loss the Panthers & the week 15 25-46 loss to the Titans & the Derrick Henry show are other 'highlights'.

Best play: Stafford's 55-yarder to Marvin Hall  in the week 10 30-27 win against [redacted]. The same game also had Matt Prater hit a 59yd FG to win the game in addition to a 53yder earlier in the game. I love Matt Prater.

Worst play: The week 1 drop by D'Andre Swift on a Matt Stafford pass for what would have been a game winning TD. I'd like to also nominate every defensive play in the week 16 massacre by the Buccs which is best described as resembling touch football.

Best player: On offence the standouts were C Jamal Agnew, TE TJ Hockenson & WR Marvin Jones JR. On defence DE Romeo Okwara gets the nod putting up 10 sacks (10th overall in the league),  3 forced fumbles & two kick blocks. LB Jamie Collins Sr ranks second. Okwara is a FA & as the brightest spot for the defence I hope he gets re-signed. Punters oft slip under the radar &  Jack Fox deserves a mention as he put up excellent numbers averaging 49.1yds & a net average of 44.8yds. Another I hope the Lions can re-sign for 2021.

Best Rookie: RB D'Andre Swift was a slow burner including the week one drop mentioned earlier but has gone on to show promising signs. Put up 521yds rushing with an average on 4.6yds per carry whilst also putting up 357yds on 46 receptions & 10tds across both rushing & receiving. G Jonah Jackson also worth a mention as looked overall comfortable & dealt with the shuffling up front.

Others

Best Game: It's the most obvious answer ever but the week 14 47-42  between the Ravens & Browns.

Worst Game: Superbowl was a bit of a damp squib. The Buccs were good don't get me wrong but it was all a bit underwhelming with the Chiefs being a bit naff sans Mahomes having some ridiculous plays.

Best Play: DeAndre Hopkins game winning TD catch on a hail mary (ahem hail Murray) pass by Kyler Murray under pressure from two players in the Cardinals week 10 win against the Bills. Utter filth.

Worst Play: Todd Gurley's accidental touchdown in the Falcons 23-22 week 7 loss to the Lions.

Best Player : RB's Derrick Henry & Dalvin Cook of the Titans & Vikings respectively with a nod to auld man Aaron Rodgers. On defence Rams DT Aaron Donald, Bears OLB Khalil Mack & Browns DT Myles Garrett.

Best Rookie: Chargers QB Justin Herbert, Steelers WR Chase Claypool & Vikings WR Justin Jefferson. On Defence [redacted] DE Chase Young, Chiefs CB L'Jarius Sneed & Buccs FS Antoine Winfield Jr.

Edited by GNU_Linux