Bruno v Tyson

Biscuits

Just finished watching and thoroughly enjoyed this.

Big Frank was about the most popular man in Britain at one time. I remember watching him win his World title in a bar in magaluf. Whole place was absolutely jumping.

But Tyson was just incredible. Best fighter I've ever seen. So powerful, so quick. Some of the punches he dished out were unbelievable.

But it's very obvious to see the toll their respective careers has taken on both of them. But, as Tyson says, they were true fighters.

17 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Just finished watching and thoroughly enjoyed this.

Big Frank was about the most popular man in Britain at one time. I remember watching him win his World title in a bar in magaluf. Whole place was absolutely jumping.

But Tyson was just incredible. Best fighter I've ever seen. So powerful, so quick. Some of the punches he dished out were unbelievable.

But it's very obvious to see the toll their respective careers has taken on both of them. But, as Tyson says, they were true fighters.

You just finished watching a replay of the fight or is there a doc about this? 

2 hours ago, Biscuits said:

Big Frank was about the most popular man in Britain at one time. 

Still is, in my eyes. Was gutted when his Dundee appearance got cancelled. Been looking forward to this since I found out about it a few weeks ago - keeping it to enjoy with a few cans tomorrow night. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

Tyson only ever really lost to himself. That’s what I get from watching any documentary about him, after Cus he was taken advantage of and could have been even better. 
Loved Bruno when I was wee, probably the first boxing I was into until the eubank and benn era.

Good to see both of them looking good nowadays.

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Tyson only ever really lost to himself. That’s what I get from watching any documentary about him, after Cus he was taken advantage of and could have been even better. 
Loved Bruno when I was wee, probably the first boxing I was into until the eubank and benn era.

Good to see both of them looking good nowadays.

Jim Jacobs & Bill Cayton were also a heavy influence on Tyson's career. D'Amato died in November 85, Tyson had only 11 pro fights by that point & didn't win a Championship for another year in his 28th bout!

Tyson's downfall was already on the cards by the time of Jacobs death in 88, after Tyson's defence against Tony Tubbs (No. 34). As Robin Givens was already on the scene. He then sued to break contract with Cayton, which allowed Don King to move in on him.

Here's an interesting interview with Cayton, regards what was going on at the time. Bill Cayton: 'I feel so sorry for Mike Tyson' - Boxing News (boxingnewsonline.net)

7 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
1 hour ago, Biscuits said:
Who's better?

Numerous people. Outwith Michael Spinks (who fought most of his career as a lightheavyweight) Tyson lost every fight he had against an elite level fighter.

Prime Mike tyson beat anyone in front of him easily.

59 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Prime Mike tyson beat anyone in front of him easily.

Until he faced Buster Douglas? Tyson arrived in an era where there was a dearth of class Heavyweights, to a World desperate to hark back to the days of the 70's.

A throwback fighter arriving at the end of Larry Holmes reign. He certainly revitalised the division. Yet he was found wanting against class boxers in the shape of Holyfield & Lewis. His most noteworthy wins/peak came against  a washed up Larry Holmes & Michael Spinks who was a LH.

Bearing in mind, the Heavyweight division, at that time, was competing against the era of Leonard/Duran/Hagler & Hearns at Middleweight.

Edited by kiddy

3 hours ago, kiddy said:

Until he faced Buster Douglas? Tyson arrived in an era where there was a dearth of class Heavyweights, to a World desperate to hark back to the days of the 70's.

A throwback fighter arriving at the end of Larry Holmes reign. He certainly revitalised the division. Yet he was found wanting against class boxers in the shape of Holyfield & Lewis. His most noteworthy wins/peak came against  a washed up Larry Holmes & Michael Spinks who was a LH.

Bearing in mind, the Heavyweight division, at that time, was competing against the era of Leonard/Duran/Hagler & Hearns at Middleweight.

He was all over the place and lost 25lbs in a month before BD.

It wasn't a brilliant division at the time but he beat everyone when at his best. I dont think he's the best of all time but of his era and arguably the most explosive and powerful heavyweight.

He was all over the place and lost 25lbs in a month before BD.
It wasn't a brilliant division at the time but he beat everyone when at his best. I dont think he's the best of all time but of his era and arguably the most explosive and powerful heavyweight.
That's the problem in his "prime" he fought nobody who could be considered elite outwith Spinks but he wasn't a natural heavyweight. The simple fact is he came up short when up against elite fighters. He wouldnt make the top 10 hw of all time imo and might struggle to even be in the top 15.

Frank Bruno lives not far from me and I've seen him around. He is an absolute gentleman and looks incredible but he struggles with his mental health. Despite what he says he doesn't really recognise that he's struggling, he was recently in hospital according to the grape vine and I think he will be a regular visitor for the rest of his days. 

• 4 weeks later...