Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who needs to drink alcohol at a football game has a real problem.

It’s not about needing it, it’s about having the option 

I don’t need a drink when I go out for a meal for example, but I do like having the option to have one with my food

11 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It’s not about needing it, it’s about having the option 

I don’t need a drink when I go out for a meal for example, but I do like having the option to have one with my food

I’ve seen people make this incomparable comparison before.

40 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who needs to drink alcohol at a football game has a real problem.

I think it’s widely recognised that anyone who needs to have a drink in any situation has a problem. But plenty of people would like to be able to choose whether they wanted a drink at a football match just like they can at a concert or a rugby match. Unfortunately incidents like today show how a small segment of ignorant arseholes can ruin things for everyone. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

I know the argument for it is "stop telling adults what they can and can't do" but sometimes it's really needed.

Sure, you are a fine, morally upstanding gentleman that is both intelligent and dapper but the mutant next to you isn't.

We've all seen it in our own support. My personal favourite moment being watching a drunk twat fall down most of the Cox steps after shouting horrific abuse at Kipre when he played for Motherwell.

It's 90 minutes + time to scratch your sack. You can manage that without a drink and everyone around you thanks you for it.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

Could the league institute a rule where beer (and likely the watered down shit they do over here) is sold at all matches not involving the OF?

They could but it would be meaningless, as it's not the league who are preventing the sale of alcohol at grounds.

Personally I don't think it's worth the cost of buying stock and hiring and training staff, not to mention the licence and insurance costs. 

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve seen people make this incomparable comparison before.

What’s incomparable about it exactly?

Have you reached that conclusion using the Granny Danger calculator?

No surprise that those who want a blanket ban on people having a drink before or during games are fully fledged subscribers of a political party that has a history of demonising football fans in general for public acclaim and votes.

I have a drink on the way to most matches and, shock horror have a hip flask I sneak in as well for medicenel purposes 😎 and ive never been arrested at a football game in my puff, nor even considered lobbing a coin, lighter, bottle etc at any game ive ever been to in my life. 

If someone is a fucking head the ball then make an example of them where necessary.

Ive been to dozens of concerts with a drink before and during as well, including seeing many people who have had too much, similarly like the football but, funnily enough no calls to ban drink there 

If any other clubs in Scotland have issues with their fans’ behaviour those clubs take on the responsibility of dealing with the issue. When those two Glasgow teams are involved in trouble it’s society’s problem. Incredible lack of self-awareness and lack of self policing. 

A few seasons back someone chucked a cup of tea and maybe even a bit of pie and there was soul-searching, bans and a general sense of shame. If our fans showered the pitch with bottles I’d expect a disrepute charge, maybe a points deduction, a closed doors game. 

7 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Sorry why can’t I enjoy a beer watching Celtic v Ross County?

Because it'll  be pishwater and you'll  be watching Celtic.

5 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

No surprise that those who want a blanket ban on people having a drink before or during games are fully fledged subscribers of a political party that has a history of demonising football fans in general for public acclaim and votes.

I have a drink on the way to most matches and, shock horror have a hip flask I sneak in as well for medicenel purposes 😎 and ive never been arrested at a football game in my puff, nor even considered lobbing a coin, lighter, bottle etc at any game ive ever been to in my life. 

If someone is a fucking head the ball then make an example of them where necessary.

Ive been to dozens of concerts with a drink before and during as well, including seeing many people who have had too much, similarly like the football but, funnily enough no calls to ban drink there 

Didn't  you say you ran on the pitch at Airdrie to confront Kenny Black?

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Because it'll  be pishwater and you'll  be watching Celtic.

Didn't  you say you ran on the pitch at Airdrie to confront Kenny Black?

He was probably only offering some plumbing advice on boiler installation.

On the odd occasion that I don’t drive to a game I have a drink, my bladder often doesn’t see me through to half time.  The thought of more beer in the ground would see me up and down like a Jack in the box.  A few dozen more like me leaving their seats throughout the game would be quite the distraction.

You can have a drink at pretty much any other event be it gigs, horse racing, rugby, darts, etc. It’s incredible that you can’t get a drink at the game.
Aye, but if you cant go to gigs/the horse racing/rugby/darts without a drink you've got a problem, say idiots.

Already posted on this thread, bringing alcohol back to football grounds is a seriously stupid idea, aside from what we can all see (some fans seem incapable of controlling themselves) it would result in clubs fleecing fans for a paper cup of pisswater like Tennents while charging 5 or 6 quid for it to be handed to you in a container almost designed to make it easy to spill everywhere. Feel free to scroll back to see my comments, they will be exactly what you expect from me.

However, see the bottle throwing at the OF game? Perversely I believe that will be used to promote alcohol in stadia, under the guise that "well if we can't stop them drinking, at least we can make them use paper cups while making a pretty profit". Heaven's forbid the idea that fans be asked to not only behave but to refrain from imbibing alcohol for an hour or two.

I'm afraid "the beer would be shite anyway" is not even a remotely valid excuse for banning its sale and it baffles me that multiple people on this thread think it is. People know what they're paying for and it's their choice.

I'm sure the pies and other food at most grounds would hardly meet Michelin Star standards either but folk still consume them.

I don’t really mind going 90 minutes without having a drink but it’s the principal that bothers me as it got banned off the back of a riot in 1980.  I think in the interest of fairness everyone should be allowed to drink at football except rangers fans.

I'm afraid "the beer would be shite anyway" is not even a remotely valid excuse for banning its sale and it baffles me that multiple people on this thread think it is. People know what they're paying for and it's their choice.

I'm sure the pies and other food at most grounds would hardly meet Michelin Star standards either but folk still consume them.
All of the arguments against amount to, "I dont personally want it"*

Which, much like the thread on lap dancing in Edinburgh, is a worryingly low bar for whether something should be made against the law.

*except Dangers one, which is much much more nonsensical.